• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Redneck by Donny Cates and Lisandro Estherren Skybound
1 1

168 posts in this topic

Redneck only has one issue out so far. Its selling well on ebay but there is certainly no shortage. Issue #2 is out Wednesday and it'll be one of the first books I read. Don't sweat it. There is only so much that can be said about one issue. :bigsmile:

4 hours ago, TheRealVenom said:

Babyteeth isn't even an image book. Half the hype of redneck was it was the next crazy huge image book. Plus babyteeth is already being over saturated as iv'e seen over 10 store variants for issue 1. 

I'm hoping Redneck only cooled down due to the people in the know already have and are hoarding their copies.

The strength of the story will drive the book. Speculators leave after they have hyped and sold their books. Watch them disappear from this thread just like in other threads. They have to get in and sell out fast before others join in.  Listen to long time con sellers and they will tell you the same. The mentality of paying big $$$ on new moderns is getting way out of hand. Someone always gets caught holding the bag.

I can see this book doing well, but Id like a few issues to see where it goes. The ability to pull stories from the past as its already alluded to makes it similar to American Vampire I think.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

The strength of the story will drive the book. Speculators leave after they have hyped and sold their books. Watch them disappear from this thread just like in other threads. They have to get in and sell out fast before others join in.  Listen to long time con sellers and they will tell you the same. The mentality of paying big $$$ on new moderns is getting way out of hand. Someone always gets caught holding the bag.

I can see this book doing well, but Id like a few issues to see where it goes. The ability to pull stories from the past as its already alluded to makes it similar to American Vampire I think.

True. I think a lot of people never bother to read ?. Its unfortunate for them to have the stuff in hand and sell it before taking time to see if you like it. Still, this writer and the content make me think it just might catch with a lot of people. I'm intrigued by American Vampire. How much did you like it ? Snyder has been hit and miss with me though mostly hits. I enjoyed most of his Batman run as well as Wytches. 

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

My only hope now a days is that the big numbers for #1s don't hurt the book as the numbers dwindle in future issues. It can create a self fulfilling prophecy if people only look at the spec-driven numbers.

22 hours ago, the authority said:

True. I think a lot of people never bother to read ?. Its unfortunate for them to have the stuff in hand and sell it before taking time to see if you like it. Still, this writer and the content make me think it just might catch with a lot of people. I'm intrigued by American Vampire. How much did you like it ? Snyder has been hit and miss with me though mostly hits. I enjoyed most of his Batman run as well as Wytches. 

I enjoyed the first 12 issues or so then it went downhill for me. I thought it could have been a lot better.

After reading issue #2 I'm agreeing with my shop owner that it's going to be a slow burn. 

I enjoyed the letter from Donny about his cat, and mentioning things getting crazy around issue #14. Sooo we'll what's happening a year from now.

Edited by punksdropdirtysrh

Nice :applause:

Read issue #2 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story seems like one that can go all kinds of different directions but I'm really loving the start. The art , while not the prettiest I've ever seen, fits and displays action wonderfully well. Some people can draw pretty statues and some just get sequential art. Looking forward to issue #3 :taptaptap:

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

I'm in the same boat, no complaints here, thoroughly enjoyed issue 2. Long term I think this is a tough topic for a writer to tackle - the only thing more over done than vampires is zombies - but so far so good.

See I think the opposite. Since they have lived so long there are tons of stories the writer can use from different decades.

41 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

See I think the opposite. Since they have lived so long there are tons of stories the writer can use from different decades.

The themes and circumstances surrounding the concept is what I mean in particular - in novels, movies, and comics, vampires and their circumstances have been pretty well explored, so I do see it as a potentially challenging topic.

Cates is a eccentric Vampire fan, and I have confidence that he will write the subject well. In interviews he excitedly discusses the countless possibilities of the stories he could write, as well as making note of how Redneck will not be your typical vampire tale. 

Do we still do this 'preview issue' chase thing? I mean, do we care about previews? I thought we'd determined we didn't except from an OCD perspective?

Edit: Though that is a good find, and valuable information to add to the thread - I came back to edit as I realized I likely sounded like an insufficiently thoughtful person.

Edited by SquareChaos
Clarity