• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Redneck by Donny Cates and Lisandro Estherren Skybound
1 1

168 posts in this topic

Redneck by Donny Cates and Lisandro Estherren Skybound

Redneck #1 debuts next Wednesday and I'm stoked. Donny Cates is a storyteller who is like a snowball rolling down a very long hill. He has written stuff like Paybacks. Part repo man mixed with a little Suicide Squad. Mostly original and lol funny, it has two 4 part stories that are must reads. 

If that isn't your cup of tea, quit reading comics.... I kid, I kid. The guy is diverse and he put out a so far very well received book called God Country. I liked the story when I first read it. Now I'm loving it. Add to that the fact that my 22 year old, noncomic collecting son read it, then asked me for a set of the books for him to keep. I explained it was only 3 issues in and he seemed genuinely disappointed. Rare for the king of video games to care about a book. 

A lot of writers put out good stuff. Some like Ellis, Moore, Gaiman, Ennius, Morrison, Miller, Hickman, and others have moments of greatness. Cates is very early in and it's too soon to definitively say but this guy may be that special guy of the present. His words flow like Bendis but he has something extra imo. He gets you attention and won't let go of it. 

That leads to this book and high expectations. It looks great, it sounds great, and I'm betting on the book being at least very good. Contrary to my normal wishes for a #1 issue, I'm hoping this thing has a big print run. It would be wonderful to see lots of people getting exposed to this guy's storytelling. He seems like one of the good guys to boot so it'd also be great to see him get a big payday. 

More to follow...

The preview seemed promising.  I've been waiting for this book.... next week!!  Cates could really be taking off if this book is what I'm hoping.  God Country is great and I'm also excited about Babyteeth that he's writing for Aftershock.

Edited by Jonnywadd

3 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Been excited for it since the preview! My LCS owner said he got to read the first three issues and confirms it's greatness. 

My LCS owner claimed the same thing!

6 hours ago, RattyLa said:

I'm also looking forward to this book. I really do hope this book turns out to be an on-going.

The writer says its made to be an ongoing as the characters are already dead but immortal in the story. At the time of the interview, he stated that he'd written the first 13 issues.