• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any place to buy great condition raw comics?

50 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

Definitely not the last one.  Having tried a few samples from them, they overgrade.

Quit it you'll make Bob angry.....

Bob Storms is really one of THE best guys in the hobby, and never ever heard of this crazy talk before.

I would, and have bought from him many times. Even my wife has bought books from him,high dollar ones. Because I have told her he's awesome, so whatever, but buy with confidence with Bob Storms.

1 minute ago, chrisco37 said:

Yeah, first time I've ever heard that as well.   I've never had any grading issues (or any other issues for that matter) with books bought from Bob.  

My wife bought me a Walking Dead #1 in cgc 9.6 for my 50th birthday, and he even called me after the reveal to wish me a happy birthday,and see how I liked the book. How's that for customer relations.

1 hour ago, Jerkfro said:

In all my years on this board, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that Highgradecomics.com overgrades comics. Certainly not my experience

Same. Bob is very respected for many reasons, good grading among them. Twice I've been unhappy with a comic, and both times he took it back no problem. But I continue to check his site at least once a week and buy regularly from him.

20 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Definitely not the last one.  Having tried a few samples from them, they overgrade.

What did you buy from me that you felt was overgraded?

Small sample?  5 books,  10 books?

Specific grade?

Gold/Silver/Bronze/copper?

Different grades?

Your perk list,  everyone has one.  Could be page quality,  undisclosed writing,  date stamps,  registeration of covers, staple placement etc.

Edited by blazingbob

12 hours ago, rjrjr said:

I've bought many raw books from the Blazing One through out the years  and his grades were always spot on. 

1 hour ago, mr_highgrade said:

I've bought many raw books from the Blazing One through out the years  and his grades were always spot on. 

I'll second that.  There are a handful of dealers I buy raw books from.  Bob is definitely at the top of the list when it comes to grading and customer service.  If I remember correctly, Cheetah did a comparison a few years ago of larger dealers.  He bought a number of raw books and had them slabbed.  Bob ranked at the top of the list in terms of being exact grading and percentage wise had more undergraded books than any other dealer.  I believe Stephen Ritter was #2. 

20 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Your perk list,  everyone has one.  Could be page quality,  undisclosed writing,  date stamps,  registeration of covers, staple placement etc.

This is the big reason I don't do want lists.  I hate having to explain that I prefer off-centre staples, because I can't stand recessed staples or staple tears where you can see daylight through the inside of the cover. (:  The grade is the grade, though.  If you don't like a particular defect, you should've asked first, don't complain it's overgraded based on personal opinion.

On 4/17/2017 at 7:06 PM, blazingbob said:

What did you buy from me that you felt was overgraded?

Small sample?  5 books,  10 books?

Specific grade?

Gold/Silver/Bronze/copper?

Different grades?

The books in question were some of the Dark Horse Classic Star Wars issues I was missing.  They were not overgraded like Mile High Comics (i.e. a whole grade or more) but just enough to not justify the higher price I paid for them.  I was looking for NM or better copies and they had more spine ticks than I'm accustomed to in that grade, putting them in the VF/NM to NM- grade.

To be honest, buying comics that are worth less than $10 are a gamble from all the big dealers.  I know my experience from MyComicShop is the same, although I heard them mentioned here too as a good source of raw books.  They do offer graded books (where they assign a grade like 9.2 or 9.4) but if the book is under $10 and listed as NM (not graded), there is a chance the grading will be off.  Again, not as bad as Mile High Comics, which has to be the worst at this.  I posted a few years back a group of books I bought off Mile High (they were Gold Key books) and detailed the problems these "NM" copies had.

I'm sure you are terrific at grading.  But, it seems, many low valued books don't receive the same scrutiny as the high priced books (again, you might be the exception and you do grade the lower priced books the same and I just happened to pick up books that were missed.)  Problem is, I only try someone once or twice and move on if the grading isn't to my liking.  And under $10 is not worth the hassle of contacting the seller unless the grading or packaging is so egregious that is warrants a response.

Edited by rjrjr

19 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

The books in question were some of the Dark Horse Classic Star Wars issues I was missing.  They were not overgraded like Mile High Comics (i.e. a whole grade or more) but just enough to not justify the higher price I paid for them.  I was looking for NM or better copies and they had more spine ticks than I'm accustomed to in that grade, putting them in the VF/NM to NM- grade.

To be honest, buying comics that are worth less than $10 are a shoot from all the big dealers.  I know my experience from MyComicShop is the same, although I heard them mentioned here too as a good source of raw books.  They do offer graded books (where they assign a grade like 9.2 or 9.4) but if the book is under $10 and listed as NM (not graded), there is a chance the grading will be off.  Again, not as bad as Mile High Comics, which has to be the worst at this.  I posted a few years back a group of books I bought off Mile High (they were Gold Key books) and detailed the problems these "NM" copies had.

I'm sure you are terrific at grading.  But, it seems, many low valued books don't receive the same scrutiny as the high priced books (again, you might be the exception and you do grade the lower priced books the same and I just happened to pick up books that were missed.)  Problem is, I only try someone once or twice and move on if the grading isn't to my liking.  And under $10 is not worth the hassle of contacting the seller unless the grading or packaging is so egregious that is warrants a response.

Your response made me want to look and see if I am talking about the same person.  The eBay store is called High Quality Comics, not High Grade Comics.  Here are my notes:

58f79bde52829_Screenshotfrom2017-04-19101731.thumb.png.30b47b20f2c352d83de0bcfe334e444d.png

I would like to formally apologize for what I said earlier if this is not you.  Sorry Bob. :foryou:

I keep notes on every eBayer I buy from and I should have consulted my list prior to making my statement.

Edited by rjrjr

Bob (Highgradecomics.com) is one of a tiny handful of dealers from whom I buy from their website sight unseen and without hesitation.  This level of confidence comes from over a decade of buying books both this way, and also in person at many conventions.

Another to check out is superworldcomics.com.  I've bought a couple of raw books from Ted lately that have been under graded.  I've especially noticed this with recently listed books.  He just listed a boatload of spideys and they seem to be tightly graded.

9 hours ago, rjrjr said:

To be honest, buying comics that are worth less than $10 are a gamble from all the big dealers.  I know my experience from MyComicShop is the same, although I heard them mentioned here too as a good source of raw books.  They do offer graded books (where they assign a grade like 9.2 or 9.4) but if the book is under $10 and listed as NM (not graded), there is a chance the grading will be off.  Again, not as bad as Mile High Comics, which has to be the worst at this.  I posted a few years back a group of books I bought off Mile High (they were Gold Key books) and detailed the problems these "NM" copies had.

I am checking my database and if you would pm me the title/issue number I would appreciate it.  Did I send an invoice with these books?  Can you send me the invoice number?  Normally the only series I have on my website are the marvel Star wars issues. 

9 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Your response made me want to look and see if I am talking about the same person.  The eBay store is called High Quality Comics, not High Grade Comics.  Here are my notes:

58f79bde52829_Screenshotfrom2017-04-19101731.thumb.png.30b47b20f2c352d83de0bcfe334e444d.png

I would like to formally apologize for what I said earlier if this is not you.  Sorry Bob. :foryou:

I keep notes on every eBayer I buy from and I should have consulted my list prior to making my statement.

Sorry I posted my earlier reply before seeing this.  You definitely had me scratching my head since I could not find the books in my database and as I stated have not listed any other Star Wars title except the Marvel series. 

9 hours ago, rjrjr said:

You should go back and edit your first post (just in case the passer by doesn't bother to see this post).

@blazingbob Find my Green Arrow books would ya :sumo: