• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spine corner bends

3 posts in this topic

Spine corner bends

I have a high prevalence of this issue in my collection, probably due to being handled a lot. Hey, I got a lot of pleasure out of reorganizing them all 17 times over the years, haha.

Just not sure how much to knock off for this flaw - what is the highest grade for a book with this kind of issue?  It's where one of the spine corners has been bent, and it creates those 'ripples' in the cover on one side.  Photo included.

Thoughts are appreciated.

20170415_164155.jpg

20170415_173853.jpg

Edited by GlennSimpson

It is impossible for us to answer this question. There are no published rules or standards for highest grade with a particular flaw. As with all such examples, it depends on the rest of the book. Also, your two examples are not categorically equal as the second example is much worse. Sometimes pressing may help. 

I believe the insinuation when asking for "highest grade" is that the flaw in question is the only flaw.  So for purposes of discussion, assume it is a 10.0 other than what is shown.  I understand the two objects have different levels of severity, let me know how you would add/lower grade for each.

For example, if you tell me that (for one of the pictures) the highest grade is 8.0, then I know there are a few lesser flaws that can go along with it.