• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Mantlo

11 posts in this topic

Bill Mantlo

Not sure if this is the Bill Mantlo that later worked for Marvel, but the timeline is correct, as well as where he lived at the time. This was a letter printed in TTA #90.

IMG_1384.JPG

That would be him.  When Bill started writing for Marvel I'm pretty sure it had been mentioned he had been printed in past LOC.
A careful reading of old LOC's would also reveal letters from future Bullpeners such as Roy Thomas, Gary Friedrich, Tony Isabella and a few others I'm forgetting.

Poor Bill Mantlo was struck by a hit and run driver while rollerblading in the 1990's.  He has been in a coma and taken care of by his brother ever since.  I got a no-prize from him in 1977.

https://www.billmantlo.com/

He's not in a coma, but is in very bad shape.  The forum did a small benefit for him a few years ago. He's childlike and can't be around most  males for some reason.

It would be nice if people could donate a few dollars to help him out. If everyone reading this donated the price of one comic, it would help his family tremendously.

Edited by shadroch

He is not in a coma at all. He is disabled but conscious. And his brother does not take care of him, Bill is in a care facility and his brother is involved in his care. TBI is devastating to behavior and emotions as well as cognition and Bill's TBI was severe. There is a kickstarter right now for Mantlo and Butch Guice's early work and Bill is leaving handprints on some rewards.

Edited by Bird

On April 16, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Unca Ben said:

That would be him.  When Bill started writing for Marvel I'm pretty sure it had been mentioned he had been printed in past LOC.
A careful reading of old LOC's would also reveal letters from future Bullpeners such as Roy Thomas, Gary Friedrich, Tony Isabella and a few others I'm forgetting.

I think Jim Shooter had a letter published in an early issue of ASM.  Possibly issue #23, but my memory is t what it used to be ?

5 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I think Jim Shooter had a letter published in an early issue of ASM.  Possibly issue #23, but my memory is t what it used to be ?

In case you didn't know, Jim Shooter began writing Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes in Adventure Comics back in the 1960s when he was 13 years old.

48 hours left to support Bill Mantlo's Kickstarter project

Kickstarter: Bill Mantlo & Butch Guice’s Swords of the Swashbucklers GN

Pledge the Swords of the Swashbucklers Kickstarter, help support Bill and his ongoing medical care.   Some of the rewards include drawings by Guice. 

Dear Kickstarter Comic Fan,
46bd4e24d73d3b8d92495c8f465abf18_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1491406197&auto=format&q=92&s=3c64fbbd62152c2a3148671c7e831c3b

With only 48-hours remaining, we are reaching out to you as previous Kickstarter supporting comic book fans about a very special project by Rocket Raccoon's co-creator and prolific comic writer Bill Mantlo.  Due to a terrible accident, Mantlo suffered an injury that would cut his career short and leave him hospital bound for the rest of his life.  Working with the Mantlo family and artist Butch Guice, we are remastering and bringing back Swords of the Swashbucklers, a wonderful sci-fi epic that was one of the first creator owned books and is well known as a Guardians-like romp through Mantlo's fertile imagination.

Thanks to supporters on Kickstarter we have achieved our initial goal and have just announced a huge new event stretch goal – if we can increase our pledges to $50k, we are going to create NEW Swords of the Swashbucklers adventures with contributions by the Mantlo family and original artist Butch Guice!  We can't think of a better way to celebrate the career of Bill Mantlo than by helping to achieve this goal when his most loved creation is going to be in theaters everywhere!  We're asking you as comic book supporters to please take a look at our project and to consider helping us reach the goal of creating new Swords of the Swashbucklers stories. 

You can visit us here to see the full project and all the great rewards available:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dynamiteent/bill-mantlo-and-butch-guices-swords-of-the-swashbu/

Thanks for considering and supporting the program!

- Dynamite Entertainment

On 4/16/2017 at 2:10 PM, Unca Ben said:

Frank Miller had letters published as well in Cat #3 and ASM #169 according to GCDB

4 hours ago, lonetree said:

48 hours left to support Bill Mantlo's Kickstarter project

Kickstarter: Bill Mantlo & Butch Guice’s Swords of the Swashbucklers GN

Pledge the Swords of the Swashbucklers Kickstarter, help support Bill and his ongoing medical care.   Some of the rewards include drawings by Guice. 

Dear Kickstarter Comic Fan,
46bd4e24d73d3b8d92495c8f465abf18_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1491406197&auto=format&q=92&s=3c64fbbd62152c2a3148671c7e831c3b

With only 48-hours remaining, we are reaching out to you as previous Kickstarter supporting comic book fans about a very special project by Rocket Raccoon's co-creator and prolific comic writer Bill Mantlo.  Due to a terrible accident, Mantlo suffered an injury that would cut his career short and leave him hospital bound for the rest of his life.  Working with the Mantlo family and artist Butch Guice, we are remastering and bringing back Swords of the Swashbucklers, a wonderful sci-fi epic that was one of the first creator owned books and is well known as a Guardians-like romp through Mantlo's fertile imagination.

Thanks to supporters on Kickstarter we have achieved our initial goal and have just announced a huge new event stretch goal – if we can increase our pledges to $50k, we are going to create NEW Swords of the Swashbucklers adventures with contributions by the Mantlo family and original artist Butch Guice!  We can't think of a better way to celebrate the career of Bill Mantlo than by helping to achieve this goal when his most loved creation is going to be in theaters everywhere!  We're asking you as comic book supporters to please take a look at our project and to consider helping us reach the goal of creating new Swords of the Swashbucklers stories. 

You can visit us here to see the full project and all the great rewards available:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dynamiteent/bill-mantlo-and-butch-guices-swords-of-the-swashbu/

Thanks for considering and supporting the program!

- Dynamite Entertainment

:golfclap: Thanks for posting this. 

Edited by nepatkm