• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay: Bronze Age Marvel and DC pages for sale!
1 1

76 posts in this topic

eBay: Bronze Age Marvel and DC pages for sale!

Some Marvel and DC Bronze Age pages, by Mike Vosburg, for sale on eBay. Go place some bids. Or don't. Whatever.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=191225202282&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&_sop=1&rmvSB=true&hash=item2c85e9066a&afsrc=1&_ssn=whatwhatwhat06

mvwfc248p78.jpg

Edited by Meeley Man

MM, you have some lovely art here. The problem is, most of your starting bids are within $100 of the "buy it now" price, leaving the impression that you don't trust buyers to bid up the art's price to what you think it's worth. Start those pieces at $9.99, I guarantee you'll find some interest. 

30 minutes ago, marktom said:

Not worthless. But obviously not worth as much as you think a Vosburg She-Hulk page with a bunch of cars and traffic lights should be. 

--Mark

Nope. The prices were all quite reasonable. On many a dealers site they would have been higher than that. So, worthless is the only possibility. Unless you are going to admit you refused to bid out of spite. Are you admitting to that?

30 minutes ago, Hal Turner said:

MM, you have some lovely art here. The problem is, most of your starting bids are within $100 of the "buy it now" price, leaving the impression that you don't trust buyers to bid up the art's price to what you think it's worth. Start those pieces at $9.99, I guarantee you'll find some interest. 

You are right, I don't trust the buyers to bid it up, because they haven't when I've tried things like that before. And the artists would not be happy with getting $20 for pages worth many times that. I can't do just anything I want with this stuff. It isn't mine. I work to keep things reasonable, which is why the Buy It Now prices only go the minimum amount above the starting bid that eBay requires them to be (I'd probably go lower, if they allowed it), but that doesn't seem to be enough for all of you. Sorry, guys, not everyone can give you "fire sale prices" on the good stuff. Expecting that is what is truly unreasonable.

Edited by Meeley Man

5 minutes ago, Meeley Man said:

Nope. The prices were all quite reasonable. On many a dealers site they would have been higher than that. So, worthless is the only possibility. Unless you are going to admit you refused to bid out of spite. Are you admitting to that?

Yes, I'm admitting on behalf of myself, (as well as for everyone else that didn't bid on your auctions - again), that we didn't bid on the pieces out of spite! You've figured out the only possible explanation on why they didn't sell. 

--Mark T

2 minutes ago, marktom said:

Yes, I'm admitting on behalf of myself, (as well as for everyone else that didn't bid on your auctions - again), that we didn't bid on the pieces out of spite! You've figured out the only possible explanation on why they didn't sell. 

--Mark T

I said the reason they didn't sell, was because you guys thought them worthless. The only other reason, is out of spite. Any other dealer would have them on their site for more than the artist and I were asking. So, if reasonable prices aren't good enough, the art is either worthless or you aren't buying out of spite. There's really not much else left to go on.

Edited by Meeley Man

10 minutes ago, Meeley Man said:

You are right, I don't trust the buyers to bid it up, because they haven't when I've tried things like that before. And the artists would not be happy with getting $20 for pages worth many times that. I can't do just anything I want with this stuff. It isn't mine. I work to keep things reasonable, which is why the Buy It Now prices only go the minimum amount above the starting bid that eBay requires them to be (I'd probably go lower, if they allowed it), but that doesn't seem to be enough for all of you. Sorry, guys, not everyone can give you "fire sale prices" on the good stuff. Expecting that is what is truly unreasonable.

I find it really odd how you appear to take it personally when pages fail to move - why do you respond in this way? As if someone here somehow was complicit in the whole thing?

If you've listed an item at the best price you can offer per the artist's wishes, and it doesn't sell after a few re-listings, then price or strategy needs to be readjusted. Either that, or you can take the page off of the market for a little while and try again later. But - and this is obviously just my opinion -  this type of thread can't possibly be helpful to you or your business.

4 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I find it really odd how you appear to take it personally when pages fail to move - why do you respond in this way? As if someone here somehow was complicit in the whole thing?

If you've listed an item at the best price you can offer per the artist's wishes, and it doesn't sell after a few re-listings, then price or strategy needs to be readjusted. Either that, or you can take the page off of the market for a little while and try again later. But - and this is obviously just my opinion -  this type of thread can't possibly be helpful to you or your business.

I just find it interesting that no matter what is listed, and how reasonable the price, nothing ever seems to sell. You guys always complain about dealers and reps who do unethical things in this business, yet you still keep going to them and buying from them. Yet, someone who is upfront and fair, you just ignore. That's fascinating, to me.

As for readjusting strategy, the only readjustment that anyone here has made, is to start the price so low as to give it away. I don't think that's something the artists or I would be very happy with. Like I said, everything can't be a "fire sale."

Edited by Meeley Man

2 minutes ago, Meeley Man said:

I just find it interesting that no matter what is listed, and how reasonable the price, nothing ever seems to sell. You guys always complain about dealers and reps who do unethical things in this business, yet you still keep going to them and buying from them. Yet, someone who is upfront and fair, you just ignore. That's fascinating, to me.

As for readjusting strategy, the only readjustment that anyone here has made, is to start the price so low as to give it away. I don't think that's something the artists or I would be very happy with. Like I said, everything can't be a "fire sale."

I don't feel like you really considered what I said... it was like my comment was just a jumping off point for you to complain about people ("you guys"?) complaining about dealers or reps.

Sometimes listings don't sell. Some pages are harder to sell than others.

11 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I don't feel like you really considered what I said... it was like my comment was just a jumping off point for you to complain about people ("you guys"?) complaining about dealers or reps.

Sometimes listings don't sell. Some pages are harder to sell than others.

Unless I'm selling it, it seems, then it's ALWAYS a listing doesn't sell. Guess EVERY page I have is a "hard one," huh?

3 minutes ago, Meeley Man said:

Unless I'm selling it, it seems, then it's ALWAYS a listing doesn't sell. Guess EVERY page I have is a "hard one," huh?

Every page you have is a "hard one" to sell, because you don't price them correctly. They're not worth what you think they are. It's as simple as that and nothing more! $650 for a Vosburg Wonder Woman page is too high. Same goes for a $165 She Hulk page with a bunch of cars driving around on it. 

No one's out to get you. No one cares who's selling a page if it's priced fairly. Until you accept that, and come to an understanding of what the pages are actually worth (and don't base your prices on pieces that have been sitting forever on a dealers website), I think it's safe to assume you're not going to have much luck selling art.

--Mark T

35 minutes ago, marktom said:

Every page you have is a "hard one" to sell, because you don't price them correctly. They're not worth what you think they are. It's as simple as that and nothing more! $650 for a Vosburg Wonder Woman page is too high. Same goes for a $165 She Hulk page with a bunch of cars driving around on it. 

No one's out to get you. No one cares who's selling a page if it's priced fairly. Until you accept that, and come to an understanding of what the pages are actually worth (and don't base your prices on pieces that have been sitting forever on a dealers website), I think it's safe to assume you're not going to have much luck selling art.

--Mark T

No, what you don't get is this isn't my stuff and I can't just do anything I want. I know you guys all want this stuff super-cheap. As I said, I've tried such things in the past with some moderate pieces. Something that might be priced at $200.00 and started the bidding at $20.00, only to watch it go for $25.00. Don't tell me that was anywhere near "fair pricing." I'm sure YOU would think so, getting something that cheap, but I'm sure the artist wouldn't think so. So, if you do that to a moderate piece, why would I do that with something better? What? Let a piece worth $500.00 go for $30.00? Yeah, that's certainly a good business model to run on (not to mention something likely to cause the artist to no longer work with me). I've done many eBay auctions with Buy It Now and "best offer." What could be more "fair" than that? But no one makes any offers. Who's fault is that?

I have several hundred pieces on my art gallery for sale right now. No one is coming there and asking about working out some deals on stuff. Why is that? The only reasons I can see are either they know the price they want is something that would never be acceptable (i.e. wanting the piece at 70% off the asking price or more) or simply out of spite because I'm the one who has it. There is really little else for that.

It is funny to me, though. You guys have no problem coming to places like this to talk trash on someone, but when it comes to talking business, suddenly you just clam up. My topic here is a perfect example. I've posted tons of art for sale posts and eBay posts, and no ever says anything. No one wants to talk business. But let me voice even the slightest dismay about that, suddenly you all "come to life" to tell me what to do or to run me down. Where was all that energy when I posted about new art made available? Where was that drive for the eBay auctions? Maybe if you put half the effort into trying to do business WITH me, as you do in your efforts to snarky comments ABOUT me, things might be better for all involved. But I guess that's just too much to ask for, isn't it? It's an "old boys club," and I'm some "Johnny-come-lately" who isn't worth the effort. C'est la Vie.

Edited by Meeley Man

11 minutes ago, Meeley Man said:

No, what you don't get is this isn't my stuff and I can't just do anything I want. I know you guys all want this stuff super-cheap. As I said, I've tried such things in the past with some moderate pieces. Something that might be priced at $200.00 and started the bidding at $20.00, only to watch it go for $25.00. Don't tell me that was anywhere near "fair pricing." I'm sure YOU would think so, getting something that cheap, but I'm sure the artist wouldn't think so. So, if you do that to a moderate piece, why would I do that with something better? What? Let a piece worth $500.00 go for $30.00? Yeah, that's certainly a good business model to run on (not to mention something likely to cause the artist to no longer work with me).

I have several hundred pieces on my art gallery for sale right now. No one is coming there and asking about working out some deals on stuff. Why is that? The only reasons I can see are either they know the price they want is something that would never be acceptable (i.e. wanting the piece at 70% off the asking price or more) or simply out of spite because I'm the one who has it. There is really little else for that.

It is funny to me, though. You guys have no problem coming to places like this to talk trash on someone, but when it comes to talking business, suddenly you just clam up. My topic here is a perfect example. I've posted tons of art for sale posts and eBay posts, and no ever says anything. No one wants to talk business. But let me voice even the slightest dismay about that, suddenly you all "come to life" to tell me what to do or to run me down. Where was all that energy when I posted about new art made available? Where was that drive for the eBay auctions? Maybe if you put half the effort into trying to do business WITH me, as you do in your efforts to snarky comments ABOUT me, things might be better for all involved. But I guess that's just too much to ask for, isn't it? It's an "old boys club," and I'm some "Johnny-come-lately" who isn't worth the effort. C'est la Vie.

Being very genuine here - I have no idea who you are, or what your history is here... but this thread, the way I've seen you respond more than once to your auctions ending... I wouldn't reach out to negotiate with you on anything out of a fear you'd act weirdly about it.

I'm honestly not trying to be rude here. If you currently feel like you have some sort of reputation problem in the community (fairly won or otherwise) to such an extent that people refuse to buy from you (this seems unlikely to me - I know guys that would buy pages from Satan himself if it was something they wanted), do you think these type of threads are helping you? What are you doing here to build up a better reputation? How is this helping you? Seriously, think about it.

Really James, C'mon man.  Nothing against Vosburg, but he's not regarded as an A-list artist by most purveyors and consumers of bronze art.  And just look at the thousands of pages Anthony has on ebay that never sell because they are too high a BIN.  I've had pages that I've tracked on ebay for literally years, and there they sit. YEARS.  Malvin starts all his auctions at 1 cent and lets the market decide.  Matt Stock (Make Mine Marvel) starts his at 9.99, but he literally shills just about every auction he posts.  A starting bid that is essentially a BIN price will get ZERO action, and if it does, it will be a snipe in the last 5 seconds, and not a moment before.  To bid sooner is stupid, especially for sub-prime art for which there are thousands of other pages to be had on ebay and dealers sites, and clink and HA.  Start your auctions at $9.99 with no reserve, or don't list auctions at all.  List as a BIN at about your starting price, and see if it sells after a few re-listings. Lower the price if you have too.  I can understand not wanting to go straight auction with a consignment, no other dealer does that for that very reason. Lambasting the CGC boards for not bidding WILL result in the self-fulfilling prophesy  of some people not bidding out of spite, though spite may not be the correct word for it.