• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great Condition Book vs. 2/3 Decent Condition Book to Start a Collection

27 posts in this topic

buy books that YOU love, and don't worry about what kids 10 years from now might want. Odds are they will have little interest in comics.

At $200-$300 range I would buy the best condition book YOU want. From the list you provided it will be 1 single book.

On April 17, 2017 at 5:07 PM, FN-2199 said:

$200-300 will get you raw and graded NM+ ASM 238 (1st Hobgoblin), 252 (1st black suit), 298/299 (McFarlane/Venom Cameo), ASM 361 (1st Carnage), or a mid grade ASM 300. You can buy these raw and not worry much about restoration. There have been a lot of ASM 50s that were tampered with and appear to be high grade.

What are you basing this on? The CGC census shows 196 PLOD copies of ASM #50 but 273 of ASM #300. And that only takes into account books that have been slabbed. There's always going to be someone trying to doctor a high-value book regardless of when it was printed.

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

What are you basing this on? The CGC census shows 196 PLOD copies of ASM #50 but 273 of ASM #300. And that only takes into account books that have been slabbed. There's always going to be someone trying to doctor a high-value book regardless of when it was printed.

Yes, I agree a higher number of PLOD for ASM 300 than 50 but the print runs were much higher for ASM 300 than ASM 50 so the percentages are different in favor of ASM 300 not being tampered with. Maybe I should have qualified the response:

Be wary of raw ASM 50s because many have been restored but you can feel more confident buying a raw ASM 300 because a lower percentage have been tampered with.

*I do not have the statistics to back this statement thus the use of the non-specific words such as "many" and "lower percentage".

:idea: How to get kids interested in comics-get a spinner rack and stock it with various silver age books and let em pick the ones they like just like the old days!  Every month stock it with new issues!

Always go for the best condition you can afford.  In my experience, higher grade appreciates better then lower grade books in the long run.  Spend the $200 on something at least 9.2 and up.  For easier resell, make sure the book is slabbed.  If I spend over $100 on a single book, I usually like it cgc'd.  

I'd probably spend the money on an ASM 361, NM 98, Tales of the Teen Titans 44, Ms. Marvel 1 etc.  Good luck!