• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original art vs Photo cover CGC SS Question
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Hello,

So I posed this question on FB and was given quite a few opinions, but I wanted to see what the group here thought as well.

Which would you prefer when dealing with a CGC SS celebrity signature:

An incredibly realistic piece of original art portraying that celebrities character or a photo cover of the actual celebrity?

I am torn as in one hand I think it would be cool to have something different/original with the art, whereas long term I feel the photo cover will look like everyone else's but be recognizable...think Gal Gadot sig opp...all her books are the same......but if Frank Kadar, Ash Gonzales or Jennifer Allyn did an original piece It'd be something special....albeit more expensive....

Thoughts?

Edited by Dwitkin82

1 hour ago, Dwitkin82 said:

Hello,

So I posed this question on FB and was given quite a few opinions, but I wanted to see what the group here thought as well.

Which would you prefer when dealing with a CGC SS celebrity signature:

An incredibly realistic piece of original art portraying that celebrities character or a photo cover of the actual celebrity?

I am torn as in one hand I think it would be cool to have something different/original with the art, whereas long term I feel the photo cover will look like everyone else's but be recognizable...think Gal Gadot sig opp...all her books are the same......but if Frank Kadar, Ash Gonzales or Jennifer Allyn did an original piece Id be something special....albeit more expensive....

Thoughts?

I typically only commission original stuff when I either can't find a comic that I want to have signed or there are no comics for the person.

It depends on the collector.  seanfish said it best.  Most of my original art from Frank and Ash were done solely due to there being no photo cover that existed for that particular celebrity.  Certainly, depending on the artist, there is more value in photo covers.  But I am not in it for the money and while I own photo covers I would not trade my original art for anything......I mean have you seen those covers from Ash and Frank!

2 hours ago, ivdyer said:

It depends on the collector.  seanfish said it best.  Most of my original art from Frank and Ash were done solely due to there being no photo cover that existed for that particular celebrity.  Certainly, depending on the artist, there is more value in photo covers.  But I am not in it for the money and while I own photo covers I would not trade my original art for anything......I mean have you seen those covers from Ash and Frank!

100% agree...and you're actually someone I thought of when this conversation came up.....but thought the original art obviously will make it more unique vs the photo cover...

For instance....I have a Goonies cover and a cover for Val Kilmer for Alamo City in May.  While there are comics that exist for both, both are tough to get in high grade.....I have looked.  So, its easier to go with original art on a blank.    

I am probably in the minority here, but I prefer the artist rendition of a character over a photo cover for celebrity signature. Growing up reading more of the Silver/Bronze age comics, those have more of a traditional comic feel to them.  Also, that way I can try to get the cover artist/inker/-script writer to sign as well as the celebrity character depicted.  I did get the Gadot WW Photo cover though   (thumbsu .  As for having original art (sketch covers) signed after the fact by a celebrity, It would depend on the cover. I'm not going to crack open a sketch that I love for an additional signature.

I have an already 9.8 CGC graded cover for the potential upcoming guest...whereas who knows what the original art could grade out as.....I wish I could do both books but it will be too much $$

1 minute ago, Ron C. said:

I am probably in the minority here, but I prefer the artist rendition of a character over a photo cover for celebrity signature. Growing up reading more of the Silver/Bronze age comics, those have more of a traditional comic feel to them.  Also, that way I can try to get the cover artist/inker/--script writer to sign as well as the celebrity character depicted.  I did get the Gadot WW Photo cover though   (thumbsu .  As for having original art (sketch covers) signed after the fact by a celebrity, It would depend on the cover. I'm not going to crack open a sketch that I love for an additional signature.

Hey Ron..I actually tagged you in the FB post I made yesterday figuring you'd have some opinion on this with your collection.....and yes timing would dictate that Id have to crack the slab down the road...

46 minutes ago, Dwitkin82 said:

I have an already 9.8 CGC graded cover for the potential upcoming guest...whereas who knows what the original art could grade out as.....I wish I could do both books but it will be too much $$

Dan, what cover were you planing on cracking?      I think I quoted the wrong post. :smile:

Edited by Ron C.

That's a fantastic Jason Momoa/Aquaman cover :golfclap:

Quite the interesting topic and one I've often thought about myself hm

I do like photo covers and try and ones to my collection with the idea of adding a signature from the celebrity in the future. Having said that, I do commission blanks specifically to have something a little more personal  and also due to the potential of purchasing a celebrity signed photo cover down the line. 

Here are some of my past commissions from artist John Watson that I'd like to have signed when a signing opportunity arises and funds are available.

22798955354_15485d7e16_m.jpg.43d4f8398a710da374252907bc1aec98.jpg27427140502_80eb08ffce_m.jpg.88a7426460e713838d3105b330cf1807.jpg23426443675_2a1fa0f369_m.jpg.79081f66f1afba9c208cb37a60b575c9.jpg32107054110_a08419a9b3_m.jpg.6535577cfbec5a92e684c5abd2310bdf.jpg32364015051_ca29c99ee9_m.jpg.2d7209651056af1ca483b3352eacfca0.jpg24848457089_722d08374d_m.jpg.4549090e6c553ba04f9716d716b02101.jpg19082960079_c824e26bf5_m.jpg.471189184720a467654926df92e7813e.jpg33974170401_64fc1f2491_m.jpg.1f35bb34514d86e81d75fc141fb347d2.jpg

I'll hopefully get Hayley Atwell to sign at the Heroes and Villians show here in London next month (maybe some of the Arrow cast) and do plan on having other commissions of the Shield cast and other bits for the London Film and Comic Con in July. I missed out on Kevlar's Gadot signing and not sure if the Robbie one went ahead. Both Stan Lee sigs cover both sketch and photo covers. 

I'm looking forward to CGC finishing the grading on the BTTF cover thanks to the efforts of Kevlar and dscott and I know John Watson really enjoys the idea of his art being witnessed :wink: by said celebrity and is looking forward to seeing the final result just as much as I am. He was pretty happy knowing that Mark Hamill saw his work and personalised one for his son in a recent opp.

Edited by THE LAUGHING M4N
Pics too big, resizing

2 hours ago, ivdyer said:

You did not miss the Robbie signing.  It was postponed and should be later this year.  I have not decided but may be cracking this Frank Kadar for that signing.  Great books by the way!

F086CDCF-F558-45E2-A8FA-03DACEF07574_zps

This is the cover that first drew me towards Frank Kadar. This and my HQ Watchmen covers are two of my favorites.

See...so that's the dilemma..........you guys have these amazing sketch covers that make the signature so much more unique, that you just don't get with a photo cover.....and the likeness has to be spot on just like those examples......

You're not making this easier.....