• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying back

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've just reopened my little CAF gallery for public view after being a few months off (for a while, only the FS art was up);
My latest 'new' posts are actually pieces I've recently bought or traded back on a 'buy back frenzy' (with even more
returning pieces to come):

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=5981

So far, most of my 2017 purchases are pieces I had sellers remorse about.
I wonder if it's it a phase I'm going through (midlife Crisis of infinite... blah blah)
or did anyone else go through such a 'buy back frenzy' (should I look for help :p) ?

Anyhow, enjoy the art and feel free to share your buying back stories...

Cheers,
Gal

Edited by Gal Schwartz

I think we all have that sellers remorse some times.  These days I can sell with no issues, but there is some art I sold years ago I would love to have back.

In your case - consider yourself lucky that you have found some sold pieces. Usually the art is 'lost' forever.  

There are several pieces in my collection that I lost at auction or passed on at an artist's table the first time - but got a 2nd chance when the other buyer decided to sell.

I have never gone on a "buy back frenzy" myself, but I have bought back art many times. Sometimes from buddies I sold it to and sometimes from strangers on Ebay (and for less than I sold it to them for lol). But like Panelfan says above, usually the ones you want to buy back disappear after selling them and it isn't an option. But I have lots of regrets from selling over the years, but that's part of the game.

The worst part is when you find a piece you want back and it's available but there has been a surge and the price has gone up dramatically, so getting it back becomes unlikely. 

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:44 PM, artistlost said:

I wish I could buy back some of the art I have sold...but the owners just won't let them go now :(

The one benefit of selling to a good friend is that if you do the puppy eyes long enough (even over the net),
they will succumb (thanks Reggie):

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1391211

Cheers,
Gal

Edited by Gal Schwartz

I have never bought back but I think it is really cool when it happens for others. The closest I have come was on a piece of art I had worked on a collector (and good friend) for years to sell. Well, he called me a few years ago and said he was finally ready to let it go and that I was of course first in line. As it happened, I had just started down the divorce path and paid an attorney retainer. I was on an absolute collecting freeze and had to pass. He held it for a while hoping that things would break for me but I had to say no. He ended up selling to a fellow collector that we both knew. I saw that page last year at a show and he told me he wasn't planning to sell it but I would have first opportunity if he changed his mind. Fingers crossed.