• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pet peeve with eBay Sellers...
1 1

36 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, WalkinWillie said:

Pet peeve with eBay Sellers...

As someone who has sold - and bought - on eBay for over 20 years, my biggest pet peeve are sellers that charge domestic shipping on a high priced item - e.g. a graded book over $600. It is an instant turnoff for me and I've decided not to buy from those sellers anymore. They also do themselves an injustice as you get a boost on search results for free shipping - although that might not be as big a deal in collectibles as a commodity category.

Anyway, got that off my chest...

As an international buyer from US sellers I tend to avoid competing in auctions where I'm at a disadvantage (US buyers are bidding on a freight included product, I'm not)

Also I view US domestic freight-inclusive BINS the same way.  The item has been priced to cover domestic freight - my cost to get the book to my door would be - what you want for the book, what you estimate your domestic freight will cost..... plus I still have to pay my already ridiculously high international freight costs to get it to me.

Essentially when I see someone pricing their items with US domestic freight included but who ship worldwide I presume their preference is to deal with only US buyers since their international customers are paying a premium when doing business with them. :shy:

Edited by bababooey

I tend to dislike seller's who don't leave feedback at all, I don't get mad, but I think that it is weird that most people that do a lot of business on ebay are more likely to leave feedback. While those sellers who do great, but only sell once in a while don't bother. I always leave feedback regardless most always positive have only a few problems on ebay as a buyer, yet it's not worth reminding the seller. idk why and could be wrong.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I have this amazing ability to due simple math in my head without much stress, so I am not going to eliminate a potential purchase source because the seller has decided to separate shipping from the cost of the book.  I also know of way that eBay will order search results based on total price (ie. with shipping). 

20 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I tend to dislike seller's who don't leave feedback at all, I don't get mad, but I think that it is weird that most people that do a lot of business on ebay are more likely to leave feedback. While those sellers who do great, but only sell once in a while don't bother. I always leave feedback regardless most always positive have only a few problems on ebay as a buyer, yet it's not worth reminding the seller. idk why and could be wrong.

As a seller, I appreciate that some people want feedback so I give positive feedback as soon after I print the label.

As a customer, I could really don't care what comments the seller left for me because the next seller has always accepted my money.  

I have listed all ways in the past, free shipping - calculated - flat fee.  If anything, I've found sales were more difficult with free shipping that included a reasonable average amount for a slab ($8-10).  To me it's the same as looking at Amazon.  I have Prime free shipping and see other sources on Amazon, but I only really care about the reliability of the seller and the total cost with shipping of the item.

Keep in mind a seller who sells a book for $600 is already taking about a $60 hit on final value fees and you want them to suck up the postage fees on top of that. 

I tried doing several listings with free shipping and adding the postage amount to the BIN, but found that it didn't make much difference. Sometimes when I would relist an item and lower the BIN and add in the postage, that item that hadn't sold for a couple months suddenly sold.

Another reason for not doing free shipping is tax time. When it's time to do taxes, it's a lot easier to add up what the items sold for and not worry about deducting the postage amount from the total.

4 hours ago, Comicdave1962 said:

Keep in mind a seller who sells a book for $600 is already taking about a $60 hit on final value fees and you want them to suck up the postage fees on top of that. 

I tried doing several listings with free shipping and adding the postage amount to the BIN, but found that it didn't make much difference. Sometimes when I would relist an item and lower the BIN and add in the postage, that item that hadn't sold for a couple months suddenly sold.

Another reason for not doing free shipping is tax time. When it's time to do taxes, it's a lot easier to add up what the items sold for and not worry about deducting the postage amount from the total.

How much $$ are we talking would result in you having to report income from internet sales? Do you have to have say an Ebay Store? A business or such? Does someone who has none of that or joeblow have to pay taxes on internet sales??

FYI this may be common knowledge but as I haven't ever sold via the internet, I'm at a loss... :shy:

35 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

How much $$ are we talking would result in you having to report income from internet sales? Do you have to have say an Ebay Store? A business or such? Does someone who has none of that or joeblow have to pay taxes on internet sales??

FYI this may be common knowledge but as I haven't ever sold via the internet, I'm at a loss... :shy:

Yes, you have to report all your income, regardless of whether you have an eBay store, business registration, etc.

Note, you only have to report income, so it's good to know the original purchase price of each item in addition to the sale price. Therefore, it helps to keep good records of your transactions both as a buyer and a seller!

You can search these boards for more free tax advice -- there's plenty -- but your best bet is to discuss your situation with a tax professional. :)

Edited by adampasz

On 4/19/2017 at 7:30 AM, comicquant said:

I agree with Jerkfro on this...  I'm much more concerned with the book arriving safely and am absolutely fine with paying $25 to have my $600 book arrive safely.  Paying for shipping gives you some control over the safety of the book.  If a seller offers free shipping I almost always contact them saying I'll send them extra to insure they ship and package properly.  

+1

On 4/19/2017 at 9:59 AM, WalkinWillie said:

I think you are missing the point. If someone is selling an expensive item then why nickel dime the buyer by having separate shipping fees? Also I don't believe the assumption is valid that free shipping equals poor packaging and possible over GPA price just like separate shipping equals a great package and possible lower than GPA prices. I ship slabs for free and my packaging is top flight and I believe it is one reason I have a ton of return customers.

Because the price of an item and the cost of the service to have it delivered to you are two different things. Nickel and diming would be invoicing you for the cost of the raw book, the bag and board, the tape, the shipping supplies, the postage, and the cost of gas consumed delivering your book to the post office. 

Also a volume seller separates shipping from the price of the book to encourage a buyer to purchase multiple books and earn combined shipping. Would you rather buy three slabs from me with a $15 shipping charge built into the sale price of each book or would you rather pay $15 for shipping for 1 slab with little to no additional cost added for the two additional slabs? 

On 4/19/2017 at 3:51 PM, bababooey said:

As an international buyer from US sellers I tend to avoid competing in auctions where I'm at a disadvantage (US buyers are bidding on a freight included product, I'm not)

Also I view US domestic freight-inclusive BINS the same way.  The item has been priced to cover domestic freight - my cost to get the book to my door would be - what you want for the book, what you estimate your domestic freight will cost..... plus I still have to pay my already ridiculously high international freight costs to get it to me.

Essentially when I see someone pricing their items with US domestic freight included but who ship worldwide I presume their preference is to deal with only US buyers since their international customers are paying a premium when doing business with them. :shy:

Explain this a little better for me. I offer the only international shipping I can which is flat rate prority at basic cost. Is that saying I want do business in us first?

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Explain this a little better for me. I offer the only international shipping I can which is flat rate prority at basic cost. Is that saying I want do business in us first?

It's the same concept you're describing earlier about combining shipping, if you're baking the freight cost into the BIN price the only scenario where a buyer isn't paying an extra amount for a baked in freight cost is when he is ordering a single item for domestic delivery.  

10 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I've never understood the "I'll never buy from..." proclamations that are made sometimes

(shrug)

That's why I'll never buy from you...lacking empathy. :sumo:

Unless your selling me another dealer pass!

On 4/20/2017 at 6:58 PM, Comicdave1962 said:

I do free domestic shipping on my idea of expensive books ($60-70+) usually. 

When you're doing your taxes aren't you also figuring out what you paid for them?  I hope you're not paying taxes on your gross??