• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Gwenpool Ever Catch On?

20 posts in this topic

Harley was more popular with female cosplayers/fans dressing up long before the comic took off in value. It was interesting to see since it took so long for BA #12 to really take off in price.

The difference between the two characters is that Harley has corresponding thematic elements that work very well with the Joker while Gwenpool is a derivative knockoff character whose mere existence negatively impacts Spider-man's well established history 2c

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

The difference between the two characters is that Harley has corresponding thematic elements that work very well with the Joker while Gwenpool is a derivative knockoff character whose mere existence negatively impacts Spider-man's well established history 2c

"Well-established history"... we ARE talking about a Marvel comic book, right?  :baiting:

13 minutes ago, Lego said:

"Well-established history"... we ARE talking about a Marvel comic book, right?  :baiting:

As you say, and there is the problem. Creators should leave the foundations of well-established characters alone; the readership is better served when they explore the ramifications of those things.

Just now, SquareChaos said:

As you say, and there is the problem. Creators should leave the foundations of well-established characters alone; the readership is better served when they explore the ramifications of those things.

Totally agree.  So, I guess I'd ask the following:  Is Gwenpool making the best of a bad situation, or is a character like that making it worse?

It's interesting that the character design (as reflected in her representation in the cosplay community) seems to be outpacing the popularity of the in-continuity character at this point.  I wonder how often that happens?

3 minutes ago, Lego said:

Totally agree.  So, I guess I'd ask the following:  Is Gwenpool making the best of a bad situation, or is a character like that making it worse?

It's interesting that the character design (as reflected in her representation in the cosplay community) seems to be outpacing the popularity of the in-continuity character at this point.  I wonder how often that happens?

Livewire is the only one that I can think of off of the top of my head.

The entire idea of Gwenpool only proves that comics are so far up their own that it's no wonder Marvel is hemorrhaging readers. 

Marvel is a marketing machine first and foremost. Theyll smell a dollar and theyll go right to work. 

Then theyll write a story around the dollar. To make it interesting.

I am not a fan of any of their schticks. But just like it made them money. It made me money

So

To me, the whole GWEN/Spider-Verse thing, from a marketing/money making angle, is as huge as the whole Spidey Symbiote thing was (still is) in the 90s. 

Venom being the biggest, as is Spider-Gwen. Gwenpool pulling a close 2nd, as is Carnage.

I dont think this will go away ever, only get bigger

I totally love the character of Gwenpool!  The books so far are a great read as it is fun and light.  It's a great break from other books that take themselves too seriously.  

I pick up this book every week and try and collect those insane Gwenpool appearances (Holiday Specials, Rocket & Groot, and Champions to name a few).  She adds a levity to books that she appears in.

Do I believe she will catch on?  I seriously hope so.  Marvel is trying to get her involved in some other titles other than her own.  I think she'd make a great team up with Squirrel Girl.  Currently, I think her pairing with Kate Bishop aka Hawkeye works well (from a limited sample... 1 issue so far).  

On 4/23/2017 at 6:53 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Marvel is a marketing machine first and foremost. Theyll smell a dollar and theyll go right to work. 

Then theyll write a story around the dollar. To make it interesting.

I am not a fan of any of their schticks. But just like it made them money. It made me money

So

To me, the whole GWEN/Spider-Verse thing, from a marketing/money making angle, is as huge as the whole Spidey Symbiote thing was (still is) in the 90s. 

Venom being the biggest, as is Spider-Gwen. Gwenpool pulling a close 2nd, as is Carnage.

I dont think this will go away ever, only get bigger

I honestly don't think anyone at the comic division understands who, what, how their core longtime characters and readers have existed in such a bigoted, racism, misogynistic, etc society / world for so long.  They are hiring writers and artists to promote this social agenda of theirs to the point sales are way down.  And how do they respond?  Lets call more of our avid buyers these above words yeah that'll sell more books!  How can a marketing team not be fired and never employed again with that line of thinking is beyond me.  The customer is always right.   2c

Edited by natevegas

1 hour ago, natevegas said:

I honestly don't think anyone at the comic division understands who, what, how their core longtime characters and readers have existed in such a bigoted, racism, misogynistic, etc society / world for so long.  They are hiring writers and artists to promote this social agenda of theirs to the point sales are way down.  And how do they respond?  Lets call more of our avid buyers these above words yeah that'll sell more books!  How can a marketing team not be fired and never employed again with that line of thinking is beyond me.  The customer is always right.   2c

And then this is floating around - I forgot who linked it on the boards first or I'd mention the name.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/13267/marvel-depoliticize-its-comics-after-social-frank-camp

10 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Whatever happened to Lady Deadpool?

I mean seriously folks....

deadpool is like venom in a lot of ways

Gwenpool is weird in that she's neither a Deadpool spinoff exactly nor is she a version of Gwen Stacy. She's literally someone named Gwen Poole. Her link to Deadpool is that she breaks the fourth wall comedically. Her link to Gwen Stacy is, uh, blonde hair. She's so far removed, though, that DC or Image could have debuted the character.