• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the best day of the week for an eBay auction to end?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

What is the best day of the week for an eBay auction to end?

A question to the members who sell comics on eBay. When you list your comics in an auction format, what day of the week to you try to have your auctions end? I sell quite a few comics on eBay, but I only do But It Now.  I have a rare item that I want to list on eBay, but I can't find a sale either current or completed. So I don't have any idea what it may be worth. The item is a Goon #1 preview that was handed out at the 1998 San Diego Expo.   

I figured I would put it up for auction and see where it goes, but I want it to end at an ideal time. 

So what day and time of the week have you found is a good time to end?

goonashcan1a.jpg

goonashcan1b.jpg

I like mine to end Friday during the day (afternoon/evening), but I don't have data to back it up. Just seems like good activity with it being weekend and people having just got paid.

I've read data on user activity on Ebay and Saturday-Monday are the most active times.  Friday is next best.  Thurs, Wed and Tuesday as least active but I forget the order.  Many professional ebayers end their auctions on late Sunday night, 9-10 pm eastern (ebay uses PST so 3+ hours to whatever they quote on the site).  In my experience Sunday nights are the best I've found for eyeballs and activity, with Mondays next and Saturdays my third choice.  

That said, I never end auctions during the daytime when people have a lot of other stuff to do.  Any commuting times on weekdays are the worst.

Sunday nights 7:00 Pacific / 10:00 Eastern time. Also Tues-Thursday same time. If I have a lot of similar items, I list them 5 minutes apart. Worst days for good results would be Friday and Sat. Auctions that end during the day when people are at work or busy usually do poorly for me.

Friday nights for common items. This is only done for my convenience but it works.

Sunday nights for unique or high dollar items.

Watch out for ending the bidding on a holiday, NBA finals, etc. Those are wildcard days and can be good or bad. 

6 hours ago, ARCHIVED COLLECTIBLES said:

10 day listing (no extra charge) Begin late Thursday night. Ends on a late Sunday night. Gives the listing 2 full weekends.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Never - auctions on E-Bay are dead.  Great way to sell your books for dirt cheap.

Kinda more depends on the book and how hot it is doesn't it? 

Unless it's scorching or a HTF/high-demand, auctions do tend to end cheaper it seems. Very rare I'll do auctions anymore. But I like the double-weekend 10-day listing to get most exposure for an auction if I ever do any. 

Edited by jcjames

Just now, jcjames said:

Kinda more depends on the book and how hot it is doesn't it? 

Unless it's scorching, auctions do tend to end cheaper it seems. Very rare I'll do auctions anymore. But I like the double-weekend 10-day listing to get most exposure for an auction if I ever do any. 

I do hear this said a lot but what kind of red hot books will get you more money via auction compared to a BIN?  I don't have an unlimited amount of data but let's take a hot book like MS 5 in CGC 8.0.  An auction closed on Feb 19 & April 1st with both ending at around $570 wheras a few BIN with Offers closed during that time for $625 - $675.  I don't follow Golden Age but I guess I could see some of those books being good auction material since copies rarely come up for sale and sometimes it's tough to set a good price since there is just no comparable copies sold.  For 95% of Silver-Age to Modern books I see higher prices via BIN compared to auctions.  Can anyone give an example of a book that is so scorching hot that auction prices regularly outpace BIN prices?

27 minutes ago, mrock said:

....surely a BIN with best offer is the best way to go for most private sellers?

Depends.

Do you want $4 for your VF copy of whatever and have it listed for 6-8 months or would you rather sell it for $2.50 along with 100 other similar books and they all sell that week? What is more important to you - cash flow or top dollar? If each book cost you less than $1, you may want the cash flow. Basic eBay store gives you 250 BIN and 250 auctions per month so I do both. BIN the keys, auction the run fillers? That works.

12 minutes ago, FN-2199 said:

Depends.

Do you want $4 for your VF copy of whatever and have it listed for 6-8 months or would you rather sell it for $2.50 along with 100 other similar books and they all sell that week? What is more important to you - cash flow or top dollar? If each book cost you less than $1, you may want the cash flow. Basic eBay store gives you 250 BIN and 250 auctions per month so I do both. BIN the keys, auction the run fillers? That works.

In that scenario I can see $0.99 auctions being a good way to blow out some books.  Problem is I find most filler $4-$5 books sell for $1 or $1.25 if I go the auction route so I'd rather sit on books for a few months and get my $4.99 or $3.99 with an offer.  Books sell quick enough via the BIN with offers that cash flow never seems like an issue.  Now if you are sitting around waiting to get $9.99 for $4.99 books then I can see why cash flow may be an issue.  But like anything - it's all about perspective and how quickly you need the cash.

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I do hear this said a lot but what kind of red hot books will get you more money via auction compared to a BIN?  I don't have an unlimited amount of data but let's take a hot book like MS 5 in CGC 8.0.  An auction closed on Feb 19 & April 1st with both ending at around $570 wheras a few BIN with Offers closed during that time for $625 - $675.  I don't follow Golden Age but I guess I could see some of those books being good auction material since copies rarely come up for sale and sometimes it's tough to set a good price since there is just no comparable copies sold.  For 95% of Silver-Age to Modern books I see higher prices via BIN compared to auctions.  Can anyone give an example of a book that is so scorching hot that auction prices regularly outpace BIN prices?

I have no problem doing BIN for a book with lots of sales history. But if i have a book where I can't find a single sale (which I do), I don't want to risk undercutting potential $$. I would hate to put something for $100 BIN and then have the same item sell a month later for $500 or more. In the same vain I don't want to put something up for $500 and have it sit for months not selling.

Looks like I put my first reply in the defunct one...anyway,

I think it's best for ebay auctions to end on Sunday night.  Buy It Nows can end anytime, but you want an auction to end at a day and time when the most people will be home and available to be watching the auction, because when people are watching an auction they are more likely to fall victim to the "I gotta beat the other bidder" syndrome.  If an auction ends at, say, 3AM on a Tuesday, most potential bidders will not be able to be watching at that time, so they will simply put in a very sober, sane maximum bid.  If they are right there, however, watching that clock tick down and wanting that victorious feeling of being a winning bidder, they will often bid more, especially right at the last minute, to obtain that "achievement gratification".  So take advantage of it.

If it's drek you're looking to get rid off there is no certain time or day. Just make sure it ends any day between 7-10 pm. For trending books you're auctioning out at .99 list a 10 day auction starting thu night 

I list BIN to start. Gradually lowering the price on a listing for a period of 3-4 months, if by that time said book hasn't moved, it goes out to auction.