• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping Question

11 posts in this topic

Shipping Question

I've got a person who I've asked about a shipping charge for about 200 comics.  They say the shipping will cost $110.  That seems a bit excessive right?

What's the best (and most affordable) way to ship approximately 200 comics?

I don't mind paying $50-$60, but $110 seems like a bit much.

Edited by gadzukes

I've used FedEx ground to ship long boxes and that seemed to be the most reasonable rate. You'll have to calculate shipping based on the shipping location and destination. I think that your estimate is close to reality if shipping in the U.S. I've shipped a long box coast to coast for cheaper than $60.

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Shipping Question

I've got a person who I've asked about a shipping charge for about 200 comics.  They say the shipping will cost $110.  That seems a bit excessive right?

For bulk comics media mail is still the best way to go.  I shipped a bunch of regular books using media mail for about $12.  I want to say it was pushing 30 pounds.

Update...  I just read comics don't meet the requirements, but I've received many comics via media mail.

Edited by comicquant

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Shipping Question

I can't imagine someone within the US would be attempting to charge that much to someone else in the US so if it's international, where are the books being shipped from and where are they shipping to?

Edited by bababooey

5 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Shipping Question

I believe you can get around 75 comics into a medium flat rate box. So ask the seller to put the comics into 3 medium flat rate boxes. That should be about $50 postage total.

16 minutes ago, Comicdave1962 said:
6 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Shipping Question

I believe you can get around 75 comics into a medium flat rate box. So ask the seller to put the comics into 3 medium flat rate boxes. That should be about $50 postage total.

I guess it really depends on the quality of merchandise and the amount of shipping damage you're willing to entertain.  There is no way you can safely ship 75 comics in a medium flat rate box.  The medium flat rate box that would hold that many comics doesn't have enough space to cushion the books to get them there without damage.

1 hour ago, Comicdave1962 said:

I am not sure I could get that many in, but that is the cheapest route that will get it to you pretty safe. You can pack comics in bricks of cardboard.

Media mail is an option, but again that's risky.

Wow. I would be hesitant to put more than 15 books in the Medium Flat Rate Box, unless they were dollar bin fodder.

On eBay I sometimes use the Fedex SmartPost option; it has proven most affordable for boxes of 50-60 books, if not more. (I've never bought it outside of eBay, and I'm not sure if/how it can be purchased directly through Fedex.)

Media Mail just scares me... O.o

Edited by adampasz

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I am not sure I could get that many in, but that is the cheapest route that will get it to you pretty safe. You can pack comics in bricks of cardboard.

Media mail is an option, but again that's risky.

I ship comics media mail often and never have a problem.  If you pack safely you can ship anything.  Technically comics have ads so they don't qualify for media mail but I've only had one box of comics returned over the years for this reason (It was damaged and of course it was to Florida, but that's another story).

12 hours ago, adampasz said:

Wow. I would be hesitant to put more than 15 books in the Medium Flat Rate Box, unless they were dollar bin fodder.

On eBay I sometimes use the Fedex SmartPost option; it has proven most affordable for boxes of 50-60 books, if not more. (I've never bought it outside of eBay, and I'm not sure if/how it can be purchased directly through Fedex.)

Media Mail just scares me... O.o

Next time I am packing up a flat rate box I will count how many I get in. Usually I think I have shipped up to around 30 in cardboard bricks without issue. You can save some space by using SA bags and boards and putting one on each side as long as they aren't high grade high dollar books.

The packing of the box is just as important. Cushion the top and the bottom of the box and put put some packing on the sides as well to cushion your bricks as well. If you aren't building cardboard bricks you better be using a ton of bubble wrap.

Media mail I get at my house at least 3 or 4 times a month. Maybe once a year I get a bill for a package and I work it out with seller. Now what I don't want is this. If I buy a $50 book or higher I don't want it shipped media mail because its subject to inspection. If I am buying $1 books I don't care.