• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should CGC Label that a Books been Pressed

26 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, redgar-red said:

I will say that slabbing a book and not pressing it seems odd to me.

I love submitting an unpressed, high grade Silver Age book. Seeing the book in the slab, knowing it has not been pressed, with a high grade gives me satisfaction. I like to refer to it as the book has 'originality'. After all, this is the way it came off the shelf. A spine should not be flat, it should be plump. The cover should align with the pages, not be slightly ajar from the press. Not pressing a book does not seem odd to me. 

@Bomber-Bob  -- I can see you POV!  Most of my nice books that I won are actually ones that I bought as a kid off the shelf -- around when I was 11.  I like pressing those, because it gets them closer to the state that I bought them in!

On 4/20/2017 at 5:11 PM, Saleen333 said:

Should CGC Label that a Books been Pressed

I thought I would throw this topic out there After the book been graded should CGC put Pressed on the Label with the grade? 

This topic has been thrown out there, run around the block, taken out to sea and thrown over the side, resurfaced, climbed Mt. Everest, starred in a Netflix series, and been elected to the Senate from North Dakota.  Otherwise, it's a fresh, new topic.  :)

I kid, I kid.  There was a time when the many threads on the board about pressing led to prolonged and heated discussions and lasting enmity.  But, as a couple of people have said, it's pretty much a dead letter now.  The vast majority of books (not all, by any means, though) with any real value have been pressed.  More than a few have been pressed multiple times.  That genie ain't going back in the bottle.  And neither CGC nor its rival is likely to begin noting pressing on slab labels.

9 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I love submitting an unpressed, high grade Silver Age book. Seeing the book in the slab, knowing it has not been pressed, with a high grade gives me satisfaction. I like to refer to it as the book has 'originality'. After all, this is the way it came off the shelf. A spine should not be flat, it should be plump. The cover should align with the pages, not be slightly ajar from the press. Not pressing a book does not seem odd to me. 

Are these criteria people use to determine if a book has been pressed?  Because some of my books look like that, and as Yorick jokes on the last page, my books have been packed pretty tight for what, 22 years or more, so they've been automatically pressed.  So much so, some of the fatter ones (double sized issues etc) have actually had the spine color break, due to the weight I guess.

On 5/6/2017 at 11:14 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree. I like new books that have a little curve to the spine. They fell more bouncy and alive.