• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fun story

7 posts in this topic

Fun story

So we have a distillery in Colorado called Geek Spirits. The decor is geeky with a heavy comic overtone. Well one of our customers finally got up the courage to mention he had comics still from when he was a kid. He wasn't really sure what he had so today he brought some by for me to look at. Mostly late silver and bronze up to the 80s. The cool thing was he had a Hulk 180 and 181. Not high grade but decent mid grade. He was really excited when I told him what they were worth!  I am bringing in some mylars for him so they stay nice. 

A nice story to put a smile on your face, especially after just commenting in kav's thread (how to tell people their comics aren't worth anything)! 

20 hours ago, Readcomix said:

very cool that you are Mylar'inf them for him. (thumbsu

Ya gotta. I was loitering in Krypton Comics (lcs) when a older gent came in with a small stack of comics. Everything about him fit with the formula; bought them off the stands, he kept them loose in a box, didn't know if they were worth anything, paper drives got the older ones, thought the westerns would be the most valuable, etc.

Dean started in on them, and in between a couple of Dells was More Fun Comics #101 in G/VG. Dean lets the guy know his comics are worth real money, and that he will buy them. Then the old guy, who was fairly disinterested when he came in, got really nervous. He wanted to take his books and leave.

Dean knew he'd never see those comics again, but he made the guy wait until that More Fun was in a Mylar. And double boarded.