• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Shops when they have to break the news that comics aren't worth squat.
2 2

221 posts in this topic

I was at my buddy's comic shop yesterday some lady came in with a small stack of comics.  My buddy was busy so i offered to look them over.  I quickly told her sorry these aren't worth anything.  She seemed upset and said 'well this is Conan #2!'.  I stated that yes but it was #2 of the like 6th version of Conan, and anyway the original Conan book #2 you can easily get on ebay for like $10.  She then asked how could I tell and I explained the cover price was 60 cents.  Then my buddy came over and verified yes they weren't worth anything.  She left in kind of a huff and my buddy explained to me people that don't collect comics always leave angry when you tell them their comics aren't worth anything and he hasn't figured out any way to prevent that from happening.

31 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

Well, yes...they probably weren't worth what she thought they were worth...but not worth anything?  I bet the whole pile would have been worth at least a buck or two to someone...  (shrug)

the trick is finding that someone....

I saw an ad for a Planet Comic #50 for $1800, but the picture was very poor quality. I figured it was worth checking out especially if there were other GA books. The cover was ripped off, tape holding some of the pages together, and water damage (badly rusted staples). I showed the seller a few eBay sales and even went to my truck to show her the price guide. I could tell she was pissed with me so I just politely told her she had a great comic but I couldn't make her an offer. I didn't tell her it was worthless but knew she wouldn't be happy with any offer. I just tried to use third party to educate her a little so I wouldn't be such the bad guy. 

25 minutes ago, KryptoMayor said:

I saw an ad for a Planet Comic #50 for $1800, but the picture was very poor quality. I figured it was worth checking out especially if there were other GA books. The cover was ripped off, tape holding some of the pages together, and water damage (badly rusted staples). I showed the seller a few eBay sales and even went to my truck to show her the price guide. I could tell she was pissed with me so I just politely told her she had a great comic but I couldn't make her an offer. I didn't tell her it was worthless but knew she wouldn't be happy with any offer. I just tried to use third party to educate her a little so I wouldn't be such the bad guy. 

There doesn't seem to be any way to tell people without angering them.  I saw it a lot on pawn stars.  If any comic shop owner has found a solution pls post!!!

I met a lady in a parking lot with some early X-Men and Brave and the Bold. Prices were waaaay out of whack and I showed her some listings on mcs for many of the same comics and what they were asking for them. "I am selling them for my brother and he told me they were worth much more." I told her these were available and unsold so her brother was likely misinformed. Man she was angry but listened. They we both went home, I with my money and her with her comic bundles. I wondered why her brother wasn't selling them himself...prison is what I deduced!

Good topic @kav

I get this a lot in my job. When customers bring in donations which are, shall we say, unsaleable 'rubbish', it's very hard to decline them without them taking offence. As an animal charity, I always say "if I take that, and we can't sell it, I have to throw it away and our weekly rubbish collection costs us hundreds. So if I take it, animals will die". If you say it right,  it can work ?

On comics, we get them in occasionally as the guys know I know about them and bring them to me thinking we're in the money. All I do is call up the last unsold / 99p ebay sale on my phone and show them that. That normally works. Still waiting for something decent....

Edited by Marwood & I

People automatically associate old with valuable. Sadly doesn't work that way. I get emails all the time in response to a craigs list ad with 80s and 90s comics. Its hard to tell people they are only worth 50 cents each. A local shop here buys long boxes of books like this for $25.

12 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

People automatically associate old with valuable. Sadly doesn't work that way. I get emails all the time in response to a craigs list ad with 80s and 90s comics. Its hard to tell people they are only worth 50 cents each. A local shop here buys long boxes of books like this for $25.

People's definition of "old" varies.  The 90's are "old" to someone.    Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man #1 is nearly 30 years old now.  This is the most prevalent stuff that I come across when I do local shows and/or respond to ads, etc.  People don't understand condition either, the more "researched" will actually buy a guide and say it is X grade and use those prices or look at asking prices on eBay...Even in those situations their grades and prices are typically way off.

Then there are people who overpaid, are fishing, etc. I recently had someone want $600 for a Mystery in Space comic. They said they paid $400 for it a few years ago from a "collecting friend" so it "must" be worth $600 now.  The book, due to condition, was nowhere near this amount. I passed.

If I have someone who does not take my word for it, I usually just show them a completed sales listing on eBay from my phone. Sometimes that works and sometimes you have the people who are straight out in denial.  Regardless of how someone may respond to whatever I offer (or don't offer), I try to be polite even if people are not polite to me when they get the "bad news".

13 hours ago, kav said:

I was at my buddy's comic shop yesterday some lady came in with a small stack of comics.  My buddy was busy so i offered to look them over.  I quickly told her sorry these aren't worth anything.  She seemed upset and said 'well this is Conan #2!'.  I stated that yes but it was #2 of the like 6th version of Conan, and anyway the original Conan book #2 you can easily get on ebay for like $10.  She then asked how could I tell and I explained the cover price was 60 cents.  Then my buddy came over and verified yes they weren't worth anything.  She left in kind of a huff and my buddy explained to me people that don't collect comics always leave angry when you tell them their comics aren't worth anything and he hasn't figured out any way to prevent that from happening.

It becomes a time vs cost issue. Do you spend the time it might take to educate the lady in a way to not offend when in the end you have no interest in buying that Vol 6 Conan #2?

14 hours ago, kav said:

Good thread Kav ! we havn't had a good LCS thread in awhile !

When I had my comic shops in the 90s, I had a woman who came in who wanted to sell a whole bunch of softcovers.  Her husband had passed away and she was stuck with them.  I gently told her I wasn't interested.  I suggested Goodwill but that wasn't what she wanted to hear.  She started to get testy.  I repeated there was nothing I could do.  Over the next six months she called the store and I told her the same thing.  It was awkward because of the guy dying but I wasn't going to give in just to be nice.

38 minutes ago, comicstock said:

When I had my comic shops in the 90s, I had a woman who came in who wanted to sell a whole bunch of softcovers.  Her husband had passed away and she was stuck with them.  I gently told her I wasn't interested.  I suggested Goodwill but that wasn't what she wanted to hear.  She started to get testy.  I repeated there was nothing I could do.  Over the next six months she called the store and I told her the same thing.  It was awkward because of the guy dying but I wasn't going to give in just to be nice.

Nor should you.

I have a guy local to me that contacts me all the time to offer his comics to me.

The problem is he will take the time to look up prices and he knows what the books can potentially sell for. I keep telling him I am not interested in paying full retail for comics so that I can sell them for the price I paid or even less. I can't make any money buying them at full price. Then he tries to negotiate for the most money possible giving me small discounts. After this goes on for awhile I eventually tell him my offer. Then I don't hear from him until he has another bunch of comics to sell. It is almost like I have offended him with my offer.

I also note he contacts me only near the end of the month ( his rent is due ).

He also has no idea about current trends. Yes that complete new 52 Batman run USED to sell for $350.00, now it is difficult to sell at all as the buyers have moved on to Rebirth.

You have to stick to what works.

7 hours ago, mrock said:

it amazes me that with all the online info available and a little bit of research people cannot get a rough idea of how little their books are worth?  

I'm continually amazed at the questions asked here that could easily be googled.

When I was working at my job, I would continually get questions for which I had no idea, and which a quick google-search provided a wealth of information, at least as a starting point.

I think a lot of times people just don't think before they ask/write a question, but some of it must come down to either laziness or a preference for Tom Sawyering others into doing their research for them.  I suppose I'm guilty of this at times as well.

57 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

He also has no idea about current trends. Yes that complete new 52 Batman run USED to sell for $350.00, now it is difficult to sell at all as the buyers have moved on to Rebirth.

Yup.  That's another key factor - timing.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Nor should you.

I have a guy local to me that contacts me all the time to offer his comics to me.

The problem is he will take the time to look up prices and he knows what the books can potentially sell for. I keep telling him I am not interested in paying full retail for comics so that I can sell them for the price I paid or even less. I can't make any money buying them at full price. Then he tries to negotiate for the most money possible giving me small discounts. After this goes on for awhile I eventually tell him my offer. Then I don't hear from him until he has another bunch of comics to sell. It is almost like I have offended him with my offer.

I also note he contacts me only near the end of the month ( his rent is due ).

You have to stick to what works.

Is this the door to door comic guy you and Dave have talked about? lol