• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Shops when they have to break the news that comics aren't worth squat.
2 2

221 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

There is always selling to another dealer for a little bump or turning another dealer to it for a commision. This was a nice collection with lots of keys and he didn't want much for it. Just seems dumb to turn it away...

That doesnt always work out so good.  My buddy who owns an LCS bought a SA collection for $550.  That was a pretty good grab-several keys and desired books.  Took it to larger LCS-they offered him $350.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

That doesnt always work out so good.  My buddy who owns an LCS bought a SA collection for $550.  That was a pretty good grab-several keys and desired books.  Took it to larger LCS-they offered him $350.

Yep, comics are a bear to sell .. so much harder to grade and ship than coins or baseball cards

Those books have been sitting in his back room for months.  Doesn't really know what to do with em.

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

My LCS does not deal in back issues even though the owner is a collector. Kind of weird, but they turn down collections flat quite often. One day, while in the shop a guy came in with a box of SA and BA and they showed him the door. I followed him out and he had a whole trunk full of books in his car. I made him a fair offer and he was happy. He had to follow me to my bank for me to get the funds. Why would any shop just flat out say no without even looking? I know people who opened shops to specifically get collections that walk in.

The best 2 shops in Chicago's suburbs, Comix Revolution, sell only new stuff.  I made the owner a deal to be his "vintage comics buyer".  Now I get all the collections.  I had a sign made up that's in the front window of each shop that reads WE BUY OLD COMICS - TOP PRICES PAID.  I had a flyer made up that explains who I am and the process of how to sell.  I usually meet the sellers at the shop (or the sellers home for large collections).  We also have a tab on the shop's website that reads "SELL US YOUR COMICS".  In the past 5 years I've paid the shop owner over $20,000 in finders fees.  He loves the deal!

Edited by Moondog

32 minutes ago, Moondog said:

The best 2 shops in Chicago's suburbs, Comix Revolution, sell only new stuff.  I made the owner a deal to be his "vintage comics buyer".  Now I get all the collections.  I had a sign made up that's in the front window of each shop that reads WE BUY OLD COMICS - TOP PRICES PAID.  I had a flyer made up that explains who I am and the process of how to sell.  I usually meet the sellers at the shop (or the sellers home for large collections).  We also have a tab on the shop's website that reads "SELL US YOUR COMICS".  In the past 5 years I've paid the shop owner over $20,000 in finders fees.  He loves the deal!

Now this is a win-win.  Win-win-win actually.

13 hours ago, Moondog said:

What's that flyer look like?  hm

14 hours ago, kav said:

Those books have been sitting in his back room for months.  Doesn't really know what to do with em.

I'm not an expert on comics, but if the dude owns an LCS, and he has a bunch of SA comics sitting in his back room, couldn't he just you know.... do what comic store owners do, like sort them, price them, then put them out front and try to sell them?  Or put up a sign that says "If you're interested in SA comics, just ask!"  Or do what millions of people (including LCS owners) do every day, and take a few pics and sell them online?  Even if its not all at once? 

Doesn't seem like a prisoner's dilemma here or a 'red vs blue pill' situation.  He's got a bunch of comics he bought, and owns an LCS.  And the comics are already INSIDE THE LCS, and most likely paid for with LCS FUNDS.  Oh if ONLY THERE WAS A WAY PLACE TO TAKE THE COMICS WHERE COMIC LOVING PEOPLE MIGHT EXCHANGE MONEY FOR THE COMICS.

34 minutes ago, revat said:

I'm not an expert on comics, but if the dude owns an LCS, and he has a bunch of SA comics sitting in his back room, couldn't he just you know.... do what comic store owners do, like sort them, price them, then put them out front and try to sell them?  Or put up a sign that says "If you're interested in SA comics, just ask!"  Or do what millions of people (including LCS owners) do every day, and take a few pics and sell them online?  Even if its not all at once? 

Doesn't seem like a prisoner's dilemma here or a 'red vs blue pill' situation.  He's got a bunch of comics he bought, and owns an LCS.  And the comics are already INSIDE THE LCS, and most likely paid for with LCS FUNDS.  Oh if ONLY THERE WAS A WAY PLACE TO TAKE THE COMICS WHERE COMIC LOVING PEOPLE MIGHT EXCHANGE MONEY FOR THE COMICS.

Well there's no place out front for old books-he only sells new stuff and magic cards.  If he puts up the sign he has to deal with a LOT of time wasters and people who do not know how to handle old books.  He has about 200 books so a 'few pics' wont really cut it.   Don't worry he'll eventually sell them I think he wants to sit on them for a few years-it's stuff that will only go up in value, SA spiderman and FF, iron man 1,  sub mariner 1,  and  Cap first Falcon etc.

Edited by kav

20 hours ago, Robot Man said:

My LCS does not deal in back issues even though the owner is a collector. Kind of weird, but they turn down collections flat quite often. One day, while in the shop a guy came in with a box of SA and BA and they showed him the door. I followed him out and he had a whole trunk full of books in his car. I made him a fair offer and he was happy. He had to follow me to my bank for me to get the funds. Why would any shop just flat out say no without even looking? I know people who opened shops to specifically get collections that walk in.

Did you tell him that you are happy to take his referrals, and to pay a finder's fee if you end up buying something?

Seems like a no-brainer arrangement. 

Edit: Gary beat me to it!

Edited by october

On 5/4/2017 at 2:01 PM, shadroch said:

He offers shots of tequila? 

I dunno if it's a 5 o'clock thing or a wed/new comic day 5 o'clock thing, but that's what was happening.  I was driving home so I did not indulge (and tequila hurts my tummy unless it is in a margarita).  Anyway, it's a fun place, even though much smaller than before. 

22 hours ago, shadroch said:

I sorry you noticed that. Blob and I bought our avatars from a wandering avatar salesman.  He assured us only the finest quality people can see them.  To others they appear as an anti-silhouette.

My avatar takes at least 100 pounds off me.  I haven't looked like that since 1996.

21 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Here you go.  Now one of you can be the opposite of the other:

invert.jpg.5903b7f08589482f54e231c121166e94.jpg

It sounds like shadroch is me in about 20 years if I can manage not to drop dead (not that certain lately) and make it that long and if I can get the heck out of new york

18 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Augmented by pot sales?  I would suspect as much from most "dealers" :gossip:

Bite your tongue.  I am sure Ben's business is 1000% legitimate and legal.  He does not run away from me when I visit his booth despite me being, sort of, in law enforcement.

1 minute ago, the blob said:
18 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Augmented by pot sales?  I would suspect as much from most "dealers" :gossip:

Bite your tongue.  I am sure Ben's business is 1000% legitimate and legal.  He does not run away from me when I visit his booth despite me being, sort of, in law enforcement.

I'm in Orygun, silly.  The new mega-cons will be here, Washington and Colorado, the new destination vacations.

10 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I'm in Orygun, silly.  The new mega-cons will be here, Washington and Colorado, the new destination vacations.

25 years ago I would have been all excited, but now I have zero percent interest in smoking ganga.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:
13 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

25 years ago I would have been all excited, but now I have zero percent interest in smoking ganga.

Yeah - I can do it now that I'm retired, but haven't yet.  Not much of an attraction anymore.

Have to admit.  I love reading through this thread. I've seen this behavior with people not just with comics, but sportscards, cars, guns, tools, real estate, and other stuff.  Used to work in a comic shop myself back when I was teenager in the early '80s.  

I personally wouldn't care if the person got angry with me for simply telling them the truth about their trash.  If they ask for my opinion, I will politely and honestly give them my opinion.  It's not my fault or concern if they're not educated enough in what they're trying to sell and don't like what they hear.  This reaction towards me only lets me know that they're not mature enough or bright enough to understand how business or the world works.  The most stupid [common] remark I always hear is "You mean condition matters?".  I would take absolute solace as I see the door hit them in the going out that they will fully realize how I right I was and how stupid they are when they go to the next buyer to sell their $10 drek for $10,000.