• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Shops when they have to break the news that comics aren't worth squat.
2 2

221 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2017 at 9:58 PM, shadroch said:

Damn.

By some uncanny coinkydink, that's almost an exact replica of the flyer I am going to make next week.

Looks like Gary must have used HIS time machine to go into the future to snag one.

It's actually a 2-sided flyer, Bill.  The other side says, "We Buy Old Comics...etc." and is designed to be in an acrylic holder on the counter in the shop.

If you feel like the person is asking too much or isn't going to be reasonable, then you just tell them "I'm sorry but I don't want to insult you". Or tell them, you're just going to be too far apart on price. If they insist on an offer, then give them one. The worst situations are always when the seller says to make an offer. Usually that is a red flag that they want crazy money (sometimes the opposite however) and you're probably going to offend them with the offer, even if they say they won't be offended. 

Of course, you always want to give it some kind of effort to buy the books. 

In most likely, you're going to deal with 2 situations. 

1. You explain to them what the comics are worth (use eBay and Overstreet if needed) and they might be cool and actually listen to reason. Don't use Overstreet for newer comics, it shows a minimum value of $2-3 for most comics, which makes people think that their 90s comics are worth that, when most are barely worth 50 cents. 

2. You will tell the person that the comics aren't worth that much and you can rant for about 20-30 minutes about why they aren't, giving various examples and resources, but they won't listen and no matter what you say they don't want to hear it. This one is alot more likely.

When people tell me how "old" the comics are, I usually use the analogy of relating it to a person's age. Someone born in the 90s or even 80s isn't all that old. Someone born the 70s is alittle older but not really old. Someone in the 60s is alittler older, but not super old. Most people will agree that someone born in the 30s and 40s is actually old.

No offense to our older boardies. lol

I find that sometimes when you engage in small talk with a person prior to making an offer, it can help them feel easier and build a trust with you, so when you do actually tell them what the books are worth, they won't be offended and might actually sell them to you. I got someone to sell me a Hulk 181 and ASM 129 for very reasonable prices a couple of weeks ago after alot of small talk. This same person thought Conan #1 was worth $7000. 

14 hours ago, Mackenzie999 said:

LCSs should just have a designated intake area with a big sign saying "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here"

That's certainly true for Forbidden Planet stores here in England, especially my local one.  A miserable place.  Funny because there's some truth to it.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/5/2017 at 3:57 PM, Brian48 said:

Have to admit.  I love reading through this thread. I've seen this behavior with people not just with comics, but sportscards, cars, guns, tools, real estate, and other stuff.  Used to work in a comic shop myself back when I was teenager in the early '80s.  

I personally wouldn't care if the person got angry with me for simply telling them the truth about their trash.  If they ask for my opinion, I will politely and honestly give them my opinion.  It's not my fault or concern if they're not educated enough in what they're trying to sell and don't like what they hear.  This reaction towards me only lets me know that they're not mature enough or bright enough to understand how business or the world works.  The most stupid [common] remark I always hear is "You mean condition matters?".  I would take absolute solace as I see the door hit them in the going out that they will fully realize how I right I was and how stupid they are when they go to the next buyer to sell their $10 drek for $10,000.

Or.  You could just be nice.  That my be fine for you but some older folk are intimidated by the unknown.  If they are not educated enough, no harm in educating them.  Not everyone even knows how to get educated on comics.  Word of mouth sales could come from a little kindness.  Just my opinion.

My experience has been that no matter how nicely you spruce it up people get angry when they hear something they don't like.

33 minutes ago, kav said:

My experience has been that no matter how nicely you spruce it up people get angry when they hear something they don't like.

I agree. You're ugly, kav. 

8 hours ago, kav said:

Yep,they don't wan't to believe their collection is not going to buy them that beachhouse,but more likely a case of beer.

This is not just comics though as stamps come to mind. 

I don't know how many times I heard someone say: "my grandfather just died and left me this stamp collection. He had it for 50 years,so I am guessing it is worth something?"

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I had a friend who worked for a large stamp auction house who used to sell me the majority for 40% or more off guide price, and he gave me better stuff. I was picking unused US stamps from the late 1800s-early 1900s filling in my collection. This was when I had my b&m store back in the 1990s pretty much before Ebay. When people used to come in with comic collections that were just miscellaneous, mostly Silver & Bronze at the time with some 1980s mixed in, as long as they looked decent $0.50-$1.00 per book was usually the best we paid unless there were keys in the collection which we would pull out and grade/price separately. 

The media, news outlets etc., will do a piece on how somebody found an Action Comics #1 in a wall during a home reno.  Then they hear that it's worth xxx$$$$.   So most neophytes who may have a box of child hood  comics lying around see this story, and think 'Hey- I have old comics in a box.  I must be sitting on a gold mine'.  When the reality is they have some beat up Brozne/Copper, probably not worth more than the dollar bin, with some exceptions.  

My buddy was collecting coins for his kid.  He was buying like indian head nickels for $1.  He said when his kids grow up they could put him through college.  I explained the value of collectibles about doubles every 15 years so by the time his kid was ready for college, the $1 coin would be worth $2!!!

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, quicksilver said:

Some guy worked a pretty good scam using us. He brought 70 or so books in ring binders, all of them graded and priced at 9.4 guide. Some had no covers, and the only decent things in there were a pair of Batman # 232s in 3.0 to 3.5 shape. I offered him £100 I think, and he came back for them, saying a friend of his had offered him £400, which I found truly hard to believe. Some months later, I was offered the same books from his erstwhile friend, who told me the guy said I'd offered him £400 in the first place, but that he'd rather sell them to a pal. The poor guy was not happy at all when I told him the truth.

The world is full of unscrupulous individuals.   I was looking at a collection one time to purchase, it really was nothing great upon inspection, about 300 books, mostly 90's drek with about a dozen mid grade bronze issues.    He informed me as I started looking through the books, that his knowledgeable comic friend had offered him $1,500 dollars to purchase the collection but he was not sure if his friend was trying to lowball him, but he would prefer to sell to someone other than his "friend"  After taking a look to make certain there was not 3 or 4 Hulk #181's hiding in the pile of books, I told him he should take his friend up on his generous offer as he was unlikely going to get another offer as good as that.

Edited by jhutton2

I think it is most interesting that on those TV shows I always hear that qualifier that "at auction".   I realize that ebay is an auction site but I always have a feeling that they meant an auction house.

My LCS says that they don't take anything after 1970 if they receive any calls.   There are random people who pop in and have the normal 90's image comics.   Back when there were more comic shops in the area the owner would give them their information if he wouldn't buy it, or if they didn't like the price.   I don't think I have ever seen angry people but definitely a lot of disappointed faces.   "But it's Spawn #1 ?!?"

There are two people who sell stuff and are oblivious.   The people who want the most for their collection and the people who want to get rid of it/cleaning out.   I, like many of you, prefer those getting rid of/cleaning out people.   Yet they can be disappointed too.

18 hours ago, kav said:

My buddy was collecting coins for his kid.  He was buying like indian head nickels for $1.  He said when his kids grow up they could put him through college.  I explained the value of collectibles about doubles every 15 years so by the time his kid was ready for college, the $1 coin would be worth $2!!!

Where did you come up with this theory?

9 hours ago, Phantalien said:

My LCS says that they don't take anything after 1970 if they receive any calls.   There are random people who pop in and have the normal 90's image comics.   Back when there were more comic shops in the area the owner would give them their information if he wouldn't buy it, or if they didn't like the price.   I don't think I have ever seen angry people but definitely a lot of disappointed faces.   "But it's Spawn #1 ?!?"

That pisses me off... only antique dealers and lousy comic stores say that they can only sell 10 and 12 cent comics, and that everything else is worthless.  More often than not, the only back issues people like that will have in stock is Metamorpho and beat 70's Gold Keys.  If a store doesn't buy bronze and copper, they'd better have a backstore overflowing with the stuff, because if I want it and you don't carry it, you're useless to me.

I actually think b&m stores should stock all comics, unless they deal exclusively in vintage. They don't have to pay much for the books, 5-10 cents each when buying collections. I used to buy long boxes all the time of drek for $10. In fact I purchased about 4 long boxes one time I think for no more than $10 per box, possibly less. I then picked out what I could use in the store, about 1 1/2 long boxes,  and sold the rest to a customer of mine for what I paid for everything. He was happy because he paid dirt cheap and I was happy because I got 1 1/2 long boxes for free. :)  

The boxes alone were worth at least $5 themselves and the bags/boards were probably worth the payment too. So he probably looked at it as getting the comics for free.

I think brick & mortar stores should actually sell bricks and mortar for once.