• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Shops when they have to break the news that comics aren't worth squat.
2 2

221 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, kav said:

I think brick & mortar stores should actually sell bricks and mortar for once.

Yup. I was confused about why builders merchants over there sold comic books.

Unheard of, here in the UK.

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. I was confused about why builders merchants over there sold comic books.

Unheard of, here in the UK.

If you're gonna slab a book use a cement slab for god sake!!!

In April this year, I went to a local anquite and collectables show near my home. In the past years, I got lucky in finding few gems for good prices. That show are not known for carrying old comics by dealers. They deal and sell anquites or collectibles like dolls or toys and such that stuff. That time this year, I saw 4-5 booths have some small batch of BA/CA comics. 

Anyway, I come across one booth that had two boxes full of mixed comics from mid-60s to 1980s. Nothing major or keys, all low grade commons. I run through the books ... many are good readers are all they are worth. I throw a number at the seller. She counted 138 comics in total and wrote down the total. I found out she used eBay, online sites to find prices ... you get my drift. 

I explained to her that the comics are not worth that much. I was only buying to give to a buddy for reading. Nope, she wanted $765 full blown prices!  I said I cannot pay that much, so I thanked her and walked away. I cannot even make $700 by magic out of these beaters. No dice. 

There are better and bigger fish elsewhere to find, just not this minnow.  Some people need to be educated on this subject.

1 hour ago, Fan Boy said:

In April this year, I went to a local anquite and collectables show near my home. In the past years, I got lucky in finding few gems for good prices. That show are not known for carrying old comics by dealers. They deal and sell anquites or collectibles like dolls or toys and such that stuff. That time this year, I saw 4-5 booths have some small batch of BA/CA comics. 

Anyway, I come across one booth that had two boxes full of mixed comics from mid-60s to 1980s. Nothing major or keys, all low grade commons. I run through the books ... many are good readers are all they are worth. I throw a number at the seller. She counted 138 comics in total and wrote down the total. I found out she used eBay, online sites to find prices ... you get my drift. 

I explained to her that the comics are not worth that much. I was only buying to give to a buddy for reading. Nope, she wanted $765 full blown prices!  I said I cannot pay that much, so I thanked her and walked away. I cannot even make $700 by magic out of these beaters. No dice. 

There are better and bigger fish elsewhere to find, just not this minnow.  Some people need to be educated on this subject.

I'm still waiting for my two dollars...,

6 hours ago, kav said:

If you're gonna slab a book use a cement slab for god sake!!!

It did make some sense to me.

After all, sporting goods shops in the States sell guns, whereas ours in the UK don't, and so it seemed possible to me that builders merchants over there have an equally diverse range, selling not just concrete paving and decorative slabs but graded, plastic ones as well.  

I have to be liberal and allow for cultural differences.

7 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

It did make some sense to me.

After all, sporting goods shops in the States sell guns, whereas ours in the UK don't, and so it seemed possible to me that builders merchants over there have an equally diverse range, selling not just concrete paving and decorative slabs but graded, plastic ones as well.  

I have to be liberal and allow for cultural differences.

On a related note, a pretty significant percentage of alcohol in America is purchased at the drug store (which is also a thing in a America related to what might be called a 'chemist' by some), despite being able to purchase alcohol at dedicated liquor stores (which we have, but are good for more than just liquor), grocery stores, convenience stores, warehouse stores, and some mass retail department stores.

On 4/22/2017 at 11:21 AM, batman_fan said:

When I was in college I use to advertise buying old comics.  I had several good scores but I got the call we all dream of, a very old lady with old comics.  I made an appointment to come and see the collection, made sure I pulled together all the cash I could and went to see them.  Rang the door bell of this well kept old home and score, a woman probably about 70 answered the door.  She didn't let me in but showed me the books she had, two books, a later issue gold key Star Trek and I think a copy of Marvel Super Heroes.  Both were beat to death.  I politely told her they were nice but unfortunately I already had both issues. I think she was a little disappointed but not angry.  I have taken the approach of not trying to educate people but politely decline.  

I picked up one collection in New Mexico that the owner would not let me leave without buying.  It was all 80s and 90s stuff in decent shape but nothing to get super excited about.  I told him he didn't have anything I was interested in and he kept saying "look again".  I finally gave him $20 for about 400 books (3 short boxes).

This here works.  Don't try to educate it comes across different than you intend it to.  Just politely declined with no reason of why.  Once you roll on the mansplaining it's all down hill.

1 hour ago, slg343 said:

This here works.  Don't try to educate it comes across different than you intend it to.  Just politely declined with no reason of why.  Once you roll on the mansplaining it's all down hill.

Same here. If I'm offered something and it's not worth what they're asking, or I'm not interested, I just say "Thank you, but there wasn't anything I can use."

"Wow these are some great books man you got a fortune here unfortunately I already have multiple copies later"

On 7/30/2017 at 6:38 PM, FineCollector said:

That pisses me off... only antique dealers and lousy comic stores say that they can only sell 10 and 12 cent comics, and that everything else is worthless.  More often than not, the only back issues people like that will have in stock is Metamorpho and beat 70's Gold Keys.  If a store doesn't buy bronze and copper, they'd better have a backstore overflowing with the stuff, because if I want it and you don't carry it, you're useless to me.

Well, lousy comic store is a bit subjective since they've been around for over 30 years.  I think they must be doing something right.   They decided to get rid of their back issue stock at least 10 years ago because the amount of space it took up was not what the customers wanted, which meant they were not getting the money for the space.      To each their own...

8 hours ago, revat said:

On a related note, a pretty significant percentage of alcohol in America is purchased at the drug store (which is also a thing in a America related to what might be called a 'chemist' by some), despite being able to purchase alcohol at dedicated liquor stores (which we have, but are good for more than just liquor), grocery stores, convenience stores, warehouse stores, and some mass retail department stores.

I have seen alcohol sold in shops that also have pharmacies / chemists, here in the UK.

IIRC, that’s one reason Walgreens' sales took off during Prohibition, noticing that a drugstore could legally supply alcohol on prescription, and so they shifted from being grocery stores to incorporating chemists as well, as a way of circumventing the Volstead Act.

Edited by Ken Aldred

We need some kind of Volstead act to prevent the sale of Marvel variant books.

1 hour ago, Phantalien said:

Well, lousy comic store is a bit subjective since they've been around for over 30 years.  I think they must be doing something right.   They decided to get rid of their back issue stock at least 10 years ago because the amount of space it took up was not what the customers wanted, which meant they were not getting the money for the space.      To each their own...

A lot of stores are successful selling new comics, trades and card games, but I'd never visit a store like that. What did they use the back issue space for?

On 4/22/2017 at 5:24 AM, mrc said:

it amazes me that with all the online info available and a little bit of research people cannot get a rough idea of how little their books are worth?  

Actually I think that's part of the problem...they find a CGC 9.8 copy listed as a Buy It Now on eBay at triple the last GPA sale and decide their G/VG copy is worth that much! :eyeroll:

5 minutes ago, Inhuman Fiend said:

Actually I think that's part of the problem...they find a CGC 9.8 copy listed as a Buy It Now on eBay at triple the last GPA sale and decide their G/VG copy is worth that much! :eyeroll:

Sort of the same way people used to use the Overstreet Guide, using the "Near Mint" price for every book they have, regardless of condition.

On 7/28/2017 at 7:25 PM, Chalwa said:

Or.  You could just be nice.  That my be fine for you but some older folk are intimidated by the unknown.  If they are not educated enough, no harm in educating them.  Not everyone even knows how to get educated on comics.  Word of mouth sales could come from a little kindness.  Just my opinion.

Yep. Spreading a little kindness is always a good thing, particularly in the grand scheme of things (thumbsu

19 hours ago, FineCollector said:

A lot of stores are successful selling new comics, trades and card games, but I'd never visit a store like that. What did they use the back issue space for?

A lot more TPBs and collections from kids to adults, a little bit of "hot toys", independent comics, and a small case full of gold/silver age back issues.

21 hours ago, Phantalien said:

My LCS kinda went this route as well.  I remember when I was a kid they had a lot of back issues.  Back then, one wall was current issues, then the opposite wall and middle of the floor were back issues.  A small section was used for TPB's and the front register had baseball cards, etc.  Nowadays, it's mostly trades and toys with a small section for back issues.  I've learned that they just post a lot of the good back issues on eBay.