• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Shops when they have to break the news that comics aren't worth squat.
2 2

221 posts in this topic

My LCS has stated several times to potential sellers, this isn't Wells Fargo or we already have too much of that in stock.....

Other's who have some nice things mixed in with drek (so to speak) are just as ornery....I wonder sometimes if people such as these don't research either though.

On the off chance I can get an answer (as it may vary) what percentage of retail does one offer these sellers if they do have something you want?

or is there a standard? 40-60% depending on what they'll take? or does it depend on what the buyer will potentially do with it? cost of slab, ebay--shipping/fees, etc.

Back to the topic at hand, if it's worth it, my response would be: "What you have is nice! but wouldn't sell fast enough for me to make it worth it." idk just a shot in the dark...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

Is this the door to door comic guy you and Dave have talked about? lol

That would've been interesting and useful, here in the backwoods of northern England, especially during the seventies.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

That would've been interesting and useful, here in the backwoods of northern England, especially during the seventies.

if someone came to my door with comics,i'd likely buy something...but my neighbourhood IS pretty scrappy.. more likely i'd just shake the cricket bat out the door at them lol

Edited by porcupine48
dont be cheeky

When I was in college I use to advertise buying old comics.  I had several good scores but I got the call we all dream of, a very old lady with old comics.  I made an appointment to come and see the collection, made sure I pulled together all the cash I could and went to see them.  Rang the door bell of this well kept old home and score, a woman probably about 70 answered the door.  She didn't let me in but showed me the books she had, two books, a later issue gold key Star Trek and I think a copy of Marvel Super Heroes.  Both were beat to death.  I politely told her they were nice but unfortunately I already had both issues. I think she was a little disappointed but not angry.  I have taken the approach of not trying to educate people but politely decline.  

I picked up one collection in New Mexico that the owner would not let me leave without buying.  It was all 80s and 90s stuff in decent shape but nothing to get super excited about.  I told him he didn't have anything I was interested in and he kept saying "look again".  I finally gave him $20 for about 400 books (3 short boxes).

14 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Is this the door to door comic guy you and Dave have talked about? lol

No. It is a different guy that has bought comics off of us in the last few years. He has money issues. He buys comics then needs to sell them to pay rent. He has several kids and once had to sell us comics to pay his child support payment.

2 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

No. It is a different guy that has bought comics off of us in the last few years. He has money issues. He buys comics then needs to sell them to pay rent. He has several kids and once had to sell us comics to pay his child support payment.

And another time we bought comics so he could pay to have his van fixed.

He is a nice guy he just doesn't manage money well.

14 hours ago, kav said:

There doesn't seem to be any way to tell people without angering them.  I saw it a lot on pawn stars.  If any comic shop owner has found a solution pls post!!!

Ha!  Pawn Stars.  Hard to use  a staged reality show as reference.  Though I am sure most people do overvalue their "collectibles" as well as using book value instead of current sales as their level line.

Edited by Spidey 62

I think the best way to keep people from being angry if you tell them their books arent worth anything is to just say these books are nice but I am already overstocked on them.  If they say show me you can say they are currently in storage you only sell older books on ebay not in the store.  If they say how much are they worth you can say off hand I couldn't tell you but I do have some price guides for sale.

Edited by kav

I would tell them the books are very nice and thank you for bringing them in. I'd recommend that they would get way more selling the books on eBay or auction then I could afford to pay being a small store.  The worst you can do is insult them by telling them they have garbage.

Edited by Lt. Eckhardt

2 minutes ago, Lt. Eckhardt said:

I would tell them the books are very nice and thank you for bringing them in. I'd recommend that they would get way more selling the books on eBay or auction then I could afford to pay being a small store.  The worst you can do is insult them by telling them they have garbage.

Yep and when they invariably say well make me an offer just say I'm already overstocked on these books.

Craigslist has set the bar for a good chuckle.  What some people think are realistic asking prices on 1980's/1990's drivel should have a thread on its own.   These are probably folks that got shot down at many a LCS. 

yep.  I KNOW these comics are worth a lot!!  I always hear about comics being worth a lot!!  %#%#@@!!

Was at an auction today, somebody paid $75 for 50 VG-F comics. Best of the lot was a Daredevil 142 in VG-.  Other lowlights were Psi force 1, US1 #1, a half dozen Web of spideys in the thirties and some Justice League Europes.

Even after the hefty 35% auction fee, I'm laughing my way to the bank.

Oh, the buyer paid at least 21% buyers premium, plus sales tax as I presume they aren't dealers.

On the buyer side , I picked up Ultimate Spider-Man TPBs 1-7 for $15 plus a 10% BP.

6 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Aren't LCS's notorious for offering as little as 15% FMV for collections,...even good stuff not drek ???

I understand that "Squat" is worth quite a bit in Ireland. :flipbait:

Some guy worked a pretty good scam using us. He brought 70 or so books in ring binders, all of them graded and priced at 9.4 guide. Some had no covers, and the only decent things in there were a pair of Batman # 232s in 3.0 to 3.5 shape. I offered him £100 I think, and he came back for them, saying a friend of his had offered him £400, which I found truly hard to believe. Some months later, I was offered the same books from his erstwhile friend, who told me the guy said I'd offered him £400 in the first place, but that he'd rather sell them to a pal. The poor guy was not happy at all when I told him the truth.