• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you take off the front cover ?

27 posts in this topic

Would you take off the front cover ?

This book is up for auction in the current CLINK auction.  It has 3 covers !!  THREE !!  The thing is, the second cover is a grade and a half higher than the first. 

Q. Is it better to have a 3 cover book.... or to go for the higher grade book ? What would you do ?

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview.asp%3Fcode%3D2017apr%26session%3D2%26pg%3D4%23Item_1179521&id=1179521

I'm confused.  I always thought CGC put the highest grade or the interior cover grade (usually the highest but isn't in this case) in the big grade box in the upper left, maybe the lower grade in the big box is due to the detached wraps.

Also to answer the question, I wouldn't remove a cover regardless of impact on grade.

RAD755FF2017411_17334.jpg

Edited by bababooey

12 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

With the detached wraps I don't see it going up after you remove the outer most cover...and then you only have a double cover :sorry: 

This -- the cover grade reported in the small text under the book title is just for each cover alone AND assuming the rest of the book is solid. Taken as a whole, they won't up your grade because the center wraps are impacting the books grade.

IIRC We came across this situation in one of the recent grading contests where the book had multiple covers but another issue like a loose center wrap was disclosed. Tough book to grade.

Edited by 01TheDude

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

I'm confused.  I always thought CGC put the highest grade or the interior cover grade (usually the highest but isn't in this case) in the big grade box in the upper left, maybe the lower grade in the big box is due to the detached wraps.

Outer cover = 9.0
Inner cover = 9.6
CGC grade = 8.5

58fadf8686820_hulk131.jpg.a6f88b265460afc3988326925392015d.jpg

1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Outer cover = 9.0
Inner cover = 9.6
CGC grade = 8.5

58fadf8686820_hulk131.jpg.a6f88b265460afc3988326925392015d.jpg

lol

Edited by Senormac
cuz I laught

1 hour ago, Iceman399 said:

With the detached wraps I don't see it going up after you remove the outer most cover...and then you only have a double cover :sorry: 

I was thinking it was interesting that the book has two extra pages (the covers) and the machine that did the stapling missed making a secure staple by two pages at the centerfold  :grin:  hm

Edited by Senormac
cuz the more light there is the better

6 hours ago, Senormac said:

What if it was an Action #1 ?  6.5 Action #1 vs remove the cover ....8.0 Action #1 ?  hm

What an interesting question, which raises lots of conundrums. 

In this fictional case, if you could speak to the grader, and they could confirm that the removal of the lower graded cover would increase the final grade, this could be a significant financial increase, and hard to resist pursuing. But could you remove a cover without damaging either the book or that cover? Would you tear it off to avoid levering open and potentially breaking the staples? 

If so, you're damaging an Action #1 cover. Sounds bad. 

If you had the cover professionally removed, would that be restoration? Would it need to be noted? Is it likely that that information, on such a highly prized book, would not leak into the public arena?

Would it put you off buying a single cover 8.0 Action #1 if you knew it was previously a 6.5 with two covers?

Would a double / triple cover Action #1 be the rarest comic on the planet and, therefore, command either a premium or at least equivalent value to another example in its 'hidden' grade condition?

Is an 8.0 hiding behind a 6.5 still an 8.0 in all but name?

Someone I know posed a similar question about an AF15 with one trimmed edge. The question was, if you roughed that neatly trimmed edge up a bit, would it pass for chipping and therefore go from a purple to a blue, with a commensurate increase in value? If I cut the corner of an AF15 off neatly with a blade to remove a cigarette burn, it's restoration and purple. Tear it off and it's natural wear and tear and blue. Is that not slightly nonsensical?

I enjoy pondering these types of questions.  For me, I would never want to take any book away from its natural original status. I think a triple covered book is cooler than a cool thing and would revel in the knowledge that what I had was likely unique.  But, on the right book, if I could pay off my mortgage by having a cover removed, or pay for a kidney dialysis machine with a three point grade increase, is that wrong?

hm

A relatively cheap book like this I would leave all three covers, the visual appeal isn't going to be dramatically different, and the triple cover is cooler than  a double cover, and the remaining loose cover has no real value.

However, if this were a more valuable book, and especially if the cover were much of the value, I would definitely remove the outer 6.5 cover, sell it separately, and still have a beautiful 8.0 double cover book. 

That's some heavy duty staples xD  the most that I had seen was 4, huh, speaking of weirdness 

http://www.dacardworld.com/comic-books/giant-size-spider-man-4-cgc-9-2-w-double-cover-restored-1362297002

I assume this listing is manufactured and not the way that it came off the press....