• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GEORGE PEREZ - ACCENT ON THE FIRST 'E'

13 posts in this topic

I bought a comic lot a few months or so back and it had a copy of this in it:

Perez Artbook a.jpg   Perez Artbook b.jpg

(1977)

I've looked a little for information on this. Supposedly there were 600 made but the publisher had a flood and it is uncertain how many survived.
Anyone know if this story is true or perhaps have anything to add?

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not sure myself, but that looks interesting !!

I wonder if it was an exclusive to be so limited? idk what kind of marketing they had back then though....

It's an art book that highlights some of his works from that time.
It's signed also. Personalized to someone named Dennis, so I'm wondering if it is something that Perez himself may have taken to shows to sell.

Edited by DeadOne
spelling

George used to do every show he could manage. I first met him in 77 and he was doing head sketches for $2, and selling a signed portfolio for $5.

I asked for a head shot of Aragorn and he had no idea who he was, didn't know the Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit. I settled for an Adam Warlock, which I still have.

I have another comic he self published from around that period, but have never seen this one.

Here is a shot of the portfolio cover. It's B&W. I remember a Black Widow sketch and a funny animal one, not sure about the others. I though he sold them for $5, but the cover says $9.95.

That was a lot of money for a little known artist back then.  

https://sites.google.com/a/comicbookseries.info/gpz/checklist-20/omnibus-publishing/george-perez-portfolio-1977-omnibus-publishing

Edited by shadroch

Awesome :) 

I'm lost on some of the older yet iconic artist's and how they'd promote. I've seen stories of George Perez and he seems a decent person, who is quick to be personable. Perhaps you could add the name Denise to the google search....if you haven't already.... I personally don't have knowledge but it is curious, I wonder who it says Denise was? if in fact the book(s?) were personalized could have been a conbook that was sold and and signed at the same time

Just now, shadroch said:

George used to do every show he could manage. I first met him in 77 and he was doing head sketches for $2, and selling a signed portfolio for $5.

I asked for a head shot of Aragorn and he had no idea who he was, didn't know the Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit. I settled for an Adam Warlock, which I still have.

I have another comic he self published from around that period, but have never seen this one.

There's a pretty good sized head sketch of Nova underneath the signature on the inside of the front cover.

The whole thing seems to be a biography of Perez. I'll get some interior pics up a little later.

32 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

(1977)

I've looked a little for information on this. Supposedly there were 600 made but the publisher had a flood and it is uncertain how many survived.

I have a copy of this art book. Does yours say it was published by SQP? I don't have access to mine, so i can't check. I'm not positive, but I believe this may have been a mail order only item. I think i got mine around 1979-1980. I can't verify if the "only 600 exist" claim is true or not. 

5 minutes ago, Comicdave1962 said:

I have a copy of this art book. Does yours say it was published by SQP? I don't have access to mine, so i can't check. I'm not positive, but I believe this may have been a mail order only item. I think i got mine around 1979-1980. I can't verify if the "only 600 exist" claim is true or not. 

This one say Omnibus Publishing Company - Detroit, Michigan

15 minutes ago, Bill C said:

I heard it was hard to find due to the flood also. I've seen a number of people who said they have it, but that's because I was doing a little digging around for it so that's why those owners stick out. It has a GOTG team shot in there, which is why I'm interested. Feel free to let me know if you're selling.

Thanks for the interest, Bill.   :foryou:
I think I'm going to hold onto it for a bit, but I've noted to contact you first if I do decide to sell.

The Guardians page is cool

gpaofe-40.jpg

I borrowed this image from This Thread I've found on an old collected editions discussion forum. Lots of cool pics of the interior of this book can be seen in that thread.
The flood is also mentioned in this forum.

18 minutes ago, Comicdave1962 said:

It may still have been a mail order only book. 

In the forum linked above, it also has a shot of the ad to mail order this book. Good call @Comicdave1962

24 minutes ago, Bill C said:

Any Guardians of the Galaxy characters inside that one?

no

1 hour ago, DeadOne said:

(1977)

It took me over 25 years to find my first copy and now I have 3 and I buy them whenever I find one. The story is true but the number I was given was closer to 500 survived the flood. This was related to me in person by George Perez when I had him sign one of my copies.  

Congrats on finding your copy :)