• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art sales on social media
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I keep seeing beautiful modern pieces posted on CAF (splashes, covers, DPS), from name artists posted just after a book's solicitation and fresh off the drawing board. So my question is...

Given that I am not on mainstream social media and don't review new book solicitations on the web, how much of the A/A+ art am I missing out on?

I've gotten one piece of not-yet-posted art and it was a prime example, but that was through a cold email query to a rep. How many of you are buying these types of modern pieces artist-direct on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.?

54 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I keep seeing beautiful modern pieces posted on CAF (splashes, covers, DPS), from name artists posted just after a book's solicitation and fresh off the drawing board. So my question is...

Given that I am not on mainstream social media and don't review new book solicitations on the web, how much of the A/A+ art am I missing out on?

I've gotten one piece of not-yet-posted art and it was a prime example, but that was through a cold email query to a rep. How many of you are buying these types of modern pieces artist-direct on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.?

That's a good question.  I was wondering the same thing so began checking out various artist's FB pages.  Ive seen some of the newer artists post their artwork on FB and instagram but they also have a main website where you can purchase from.  But as far as A/A+ stuff, I think those guys either have reps now on known dealer sites or don't even sell their work. 

I have bought direct from artists through FB on several occasions. Even ones with Reps, and usually for less than their rep would charge. On a few occasions I even got art before it was actually published, which was cool. But in this day and age of social media and direct access to artists through it, the game is changing from what it used to be. The fact is that there have always been some collectors who have/had connections to artists and use that to get first dibs on stuff, but now that can be anyone who follows/friends the artists on social media. So yes, if you aren't following them on social media, you are probably missing out on the choice stuff as that always goes first. But technically no more than you already were, if that makes sense.

I've purchased multiple pieces directly from artists after contacting them on Facebook or Twitter.  On a couple of occasions, after striking up a conversation with an artist online I've been able to pick up a cover before it has even been solicited.  Of course, that can be a bit of a risk given that the publisher can decide not to use it for whatever reason.  So far that hasn't bitten me, although I did have to sweat it out for a few months before one of them was officially solicited.

Mike

I know of at least one artist who only posts his stuff on FB -- and he's in the UK, so if you don't keep UK hours, you're likely to miss whatever piece he's about to offer. The only way I managed to buy a cover from him so to send a blind offer, telling him I'd buy whichever cover he had available the next time he had something, regardless. Good thing I liked the guy's art, and I'm delighted with the cover I purchased...but the hand was trembling when I sent my message.

6 hours ago, Hal Turner said:

I know of at least one artist who only posts his stuff on FB -- and he's in the UK, so if you don't keep UK hours, you're likely to miss whatever piece he's about to offer. The only way I managed to buy a cover from him so to send a blind offer, telling him I'd buy whichever cover he had available the next time he had something, regardless. Good thing I liked the guy's art, and I'm delighted with the cover I purchased...but the hand was trembling when I sent my message.

Who is the artist - if you dont mind saying?