• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photobucket Errors
2 2

86 posts in this topic

Just now, Architecht said:

I've tried this with a couple of URLs that look broken. Some don't load even going directly to Photobucket, and some redirect to an html page instead of a direct image load.

Not sure what has changed yet, Photobucket or the boards, but we are tracking it down.

Your cred depends on it.

This appears to be entirely an issue with CGC formatting.  I suspect someone working on the board platform goofed, changing something that futzed with the long word length of PB images.  That's why loading images from PB is nixed.

Photobucket does have it's share of problems, but the hosting service hasn't changed much.  PB uploads work fine on other sites.

As I see it, dragging images is a band-aid fix to an arterial bleed-out.  Legacy threads have been compromised over in Gold, with hundreds of image links severed.  Many of those images were from folks who no longer post here regularly but still maintain image files from PB accounts.  

Reading threads with posts where boardies praise blank acquisitions or discuss issues with specific books that can no longer be viewed destroys much of the site's value.

Does CGC consider scanned images and legacy threads unimportant? Is the convenience of new apps worth losing the dependability we had before? Is the ease of sending and viewing unedited, out of focus photos on an iPhone actually progress or just a marketing tool? Who knows??? 

Hopefully Arch will have some of the answers, I sure don't.

Sorry to take such a contrarian view.  The consensus will be what it is.  I'm persuaded that the collected history of the boards told through threads and preserved images from hosting services is a vital part of the forum experience.  I'll admit that I'm a bit biased on this subject because I spent a lot of time working on threads, selecting and editing images to impart information that I hoped was worthwhile.

• Administrator

I have this as an issue filed with Invision to fix. I've confirmed that photobucket is working on the NGC instance, and we know it was working here as well.

I think it's related to the fact that we now have to proxy any embedded images to make them display as https. Something about the board proxy fetching the images is not getting along with photobucket.

I will SPECULATE that this will be a reasonable fix and that once fixed (and the cache expires) the images will just come flooding back. We'll see what response I get to the ticket.

13 minutes ago, Architecht said:

I have this as an issue filed with Invision to fix. I've confirmed that photobucket is working on the NGC instance, and we know it was working here as well.

I think it's related to the fact that we now have to proxy any embedded images to make them display as https. Something about the board proxy fetching the images is not getting along with photobucket.

I will SPECULATE that this will be a reasonable fix and that once fixed (and the cache expires) the images will just come flooding back. We'll see what response I get to the ticket.

Thank you.

15 minutes ago, Architecht said:

I'll keep bananas peeled and whips on standby.  :wink:

17 hours ago, Architecht said:

I've tried this with a couple of URLs that look broken. Some don't load even going directly to Photobucket, and some redirect to an html page instead of a direct image load.

Not sure what has changed yet, Photobucket or the boards, but we are tracking it down.

Attempted PB html converted to BBCode, using http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/html2bbcode/

Same results.

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, tabcom said:

Attempted PB html converted to BBCode, using http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/html2bbcode/

Same results.

This has to get fixed at the server. When you request a Photobucket image with the wrong headers, you get back an html page instead of the image. They are fetching those images with a proxy on the server to make sure they are encrypted when delivered. Something about the proxy if fetching them (I am guessing) in a way that gets the html page instead of the image, and that breaks the display.

Could be wrong, but that's my guess. It was working though, so this should just be a bug they can track down, I hope.

• Administrator
Just now, tabcom said:

With respects to, 'This has to get fixed at the server', are you referring to the Photobucket server, or the CGC Board server?

The board server. Since this works on the NGC boards, it seems clear that it is a boards issue specific to the CGC instance.

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

The bucket has not worked for me since Thursday. I logged in a few hours ago and it wouldn't even take my email or pass word. I'm in deep doo doo...

Try Mozilla, it's not working on Chrome, but I can access my account on Mozilla. PB has been pushing a  yearly subscription this week at a "one time only discount". I am a paid member, but this would be a "better" subscription, at a discount. When  you try to ask if they will fix their bugs first, the response gets returned, so something weird is happening. They also extended the "48 hours" to more.

When I wrote to ask why my storage keeps showing as almost full, the tech said they changed their size limits, so they are storing bigger pictures now. 
I don't know enough to know if that could be causing part of the problem, but I'm guessing it doesn't help.

Let's try to keep this thread on point with respect to the original issue being discussed here, so that this critical issue doesn't get sidelined (please :foryou: )

Many of us choose to use Photobucket. Many of our existing and historical threads contain links to Photobucket images, because Photobucket is what we use. Many historical threads throughout the boards are populated with images via Photobucket links, because those users used Photobucket.

When the new boards were created, all of the images that were posted via Photobucket links displayed and worked just fine...in fact, worked just fine until sometime during the past week. Now, they don't work. Seems to be not a Photobucket problem, but a CGC Boards problem. Let's focus on getting that fixed, and we'll take up the issue of whether or not Photobucket sucks or not at a later date. :grin:  :wishluck:

48 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Try Mozilla, it's not working on Chrome, but I can access my account on Mozilla. PB has been pushing a  yearly subscription this week at a "one time only discount". I am a paid member, but this would be a "better" subscription, at a discount. When  you try to ask if they will fix their bugs first, the response gets returned, so something weird is happening. They also extended the "48 hours" to more.

When I wrote to ask why my storage keeps showing as almost full, the tech said they changed their size limits, so they are storing bigger pictures now. 
I don't know enough to know if that could be causing part of the problem, but I'm guessing it doesn't help.

Thanks Sharon. I've tried it on chrome, Firefox and safari and I still can't log in. I am a paid subscriber. I thought that maybe my account had been hacked since I got in once and it appeared my photos were all gone. I will contact them and see what I can do. It appears to be a two part problem for me.

• Administrator

Does anyone know if photobucket will block an IP address that requests too many images? Maybe the proxy is being blocked for heavy access since it basically loads all of the images for every user.

I can't find anything in their knowledge base about this.

2 hours ago, edowens71 said:

Let's try to keep this thread on point with respect to the original issue being discussed here, so that this critical issue doesn't get sidelined (please :foryou: )

Many of us choose to use Photobucket. Many of our existing and historical threads contain links to Photobucket images, because Photobucket is what we use. Many historical threads throughout the boards are populated with images via Photobucket links, because those users used Photobucket.

When the new boards were created, all of the images that were posted via Photobucket links displayed and worked just fine...in fact, worked just fine until sometime during the past week. Now, they don't work. Seems to be not a Photobucket problem, but a CGC Boards problem. Let's focus on getting that fixed, and we'll take up the issue of whether or not Photobucket sucks or not at a later date. :grin:  :wishluck:

+1.  No photobucket for me.  Too bad to as I was about to respond to Gator's awesome 5 favorite Golden Age post.

41 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

+1.  No photobucket for me.  Too bad to as I was about to respond to Gator's awesome 5 favorite Golden Age post.

I finally got to log on to the Bucket in 4 days. Got on in the first try, rather quickly I might add. Seems to be working normal now. I tried to post a few fotos as I usually do and no dice. I feel better crossing one hurdle off the list. Seems to be here.

4 hours ago, Architecht said:

Does anyone know if photobucket will block an IP address that requests too many images? Maybe the proxy is being blocked for heavy access since it basically loads all of the images for every user.

I can't find anything in their knowledge base about this.

Arch, since you're asking a direct question, hopefully I won't be penalized for answering it openly & honestly.

Something changed on the CGC site last Thursday.  What that is, I have no idea.  Theoretically it could be a hack of some kind or uploaded virus that corrupts data.  But that sounds too conspiratorial.  I'd be surprised if CGC's firewalls don't provide ample protections.

For want of a better term, this looks more like a butterfly effect.  Is it possible that a small change made somewhere to the CGC platform codec broke PB links? This is purely speculation on my part, I'm not an IT guy.