• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RANK THE TOP 5 MOST IMPORTANT PERSONS IN COMIC BOOK COLLECTING OF ALL TIME
2 2

98 posts in this topic

I just made a comment on the Geppi section, and a thought occurred to me what are the most  important  5 people have made or helped create comic book fandom. Now of course, lets not count the professionals, the Stan Lee FF letter column and marvel in general  really got the ball the rolling on a nation wide basis, and EC while important, laid the foundation for comic book fandom by creating "adult" comics with Stan Lee following up with Amazing Adult Fantasy which are great even still today...the marvel effect his the entire nation and so by scope the MMM world put us here today.

Because I was there in the beginning, buying FF1 on the stands, just as the earlier generation with the EC's EVERYBODY new something was up....different about the FF's, Hulk and Spiderman, but as I recall things really got started on issue 4 of the FF...I would say 4,5,and 6 we the keys that this was not a fluke and things were changing.

My top 5 are heavy towards early fandom which laid the foundaiton for what we have today....the CGC, the boards,....billion dollar superhero movies....

1- BOB OVERSTREET: the old saying "you had to be there" applies, when the first guide came out it hit like a bomb...BUT THE SECOND GUIDE hit like the atomic bomb.......it took over the market and set a FLOOR as to value...the second guide must have sold 5x what the first one did...but it helped create a credible source for those who laughed at comics and in part because the "red book" of coin values was considered a very valuable source.

2- Russ Cochran..... collectable comic art...this man created the term...especially with comic stip....and he put his money where his mouth is..publishing wise..changed his whole life for fandom. Publishing the most respected EC comic books and selling the greatest comic art collection of ALL TIME the Gaines EC art collection,  as well as selling most of the Carl Barks oils, Ganies file copies  etc. 50 years from now this man will be appreciated 

3- Bruce Hamilton....besides being Russ's publishing partner, and a very early comic book dealer, I can remember him being there at the SDCC #2 with cap 1 for sale for $150 bucks, a pioneer in creating the most important comic art book for its time, which was the barks oil collection at a unheard of price of $75...the printing still holds up today but it created RESPECT among non-comic book/art collectors at the time. He published  the complete Carl Barks, Little Lulu etc....but he and Irving Bigman were the two go to dealers creating a model for many, many other comic book dealers, again he gave up his career as a very successful Radio announcer and gave fandom everything he had until his death during a hospital stay.

4-Steve Geppi- In business, its ups and downs....and Steve had his share of them, but there is no denying that his organization of comic books distribution has helped fandom overall, as well has creating a museum with his own funds..we owe this man a lot thanks. He is not ranked higher because he effects were felt after the pioneers who again risked everything at a time where there was no "sure" thing.

5  COMICS AND COMIXS -Bud Plant, Robert Beerbohm, John Barrett...In 1972 this store helped create the market for underground...self publishing comics...the creation of fandom had come full circle...it gave credibility  even in the store name...and launched a creative force which today impacts the world........John Barrett, RIP, was the nicest guy in fandom......his early death was a robbery.....one most remember that the SF/Tom Reily  collection was the first BIG  pedigree  collection to hit comic book fandom...years before the mile high collection and this collection was sold there stores and SDCC etc.

WHAT ARE YOUR TOP FIVE AND WHY.......

Edited by Mmehdy

I know it may sound strange but I would a nod to Fredrick Wertham for bringing attention and scarcity to the hobby.

These are the ones that have had the most impact on me.  I am not going to rank but some I would consider would be:

Don and Maggie Thompson

Buddy Saunders

Jerry Bails

Alan Light

Grass Green

Biljo White

55 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I just made a comment on the Geppi section, and a thought occurred to me what are the most  important  5 people have made or helped create comic book fandom. Now of course, lets not count the professionals, the Stan Lee FF letter column and marvel in general  really got the ball the rolling on a nation wide basis, and EC while important, laid the foundation for comic book fandom by creating "adult" comics with Stan Lee following up with Amazing Adult Fantasy which are great even still today...the marvel effect his the entire nation and so by scope the MMM world put us here today.

Because I was there in the beginning, buying FF1 on the stands, just as the earlier generation with the EC's EVERYBODY new something was up....different about the FF's, Hulk and Spiderman, but as I recall things really got started on issue 4 of the FF...I would say 4,5,and 6 we the keys that this was not a fluke and things were changing.

My top 5 are heavy towards early fandom which laid the foundaiton for what we have today....the CGC, the boards,....billion dollar superhero movies....

1- BOB OVERSTREET: the old saying "you had to be there" applies, when the first guide came out it hit like a bomb...BUT THE SECOND GUIDE hit like the atomic bomb.......it took over the market and set a FLOOR as to value...the second guide must have sold 5x what the first one did...but it helped create a credible source for those who laughed at comics and in part because the "red book" of coin values was considered a very valuable source.

2- Russ Cochran..... collectable comic art...this man created the term...especially with comic stip....and he put his money where his mouth is..publishing wise..changed his whole life for fandom. Publishing the most respected EC comic books and selling the greatest comic art collection of ALL TIME the Gaines EC art collection,  as well as selling most of the Carl Barks oils, Ganies file copies  etc. 50 years from now this man will be appreciated 

3- Bruce Hamilton....besides being Russ's publishing partner, and a very early comic book dealer, I can remember him being there at the SDCC #2 with cap 1 for sale for $150 bucks, a pioneer in creating the most important comic art book for its time, which was the barks oil collection at a unheard of price of $75...the printing still holds up today but it created RESPECT among non-comic book/art collectors at the time. He published  the complete Carl Barks, Little Lulu etc....but he and Irving Bigman were the two go to dealers creating a model for many, many other comic book dealers, again he gave up his career as a very successful Radio announcer and gave fandom everything he had until his death during a hospital stay.

4-Steve Geppi- In business, its ups and downs....and Steve had his share of them, but there is no denying that his organization of comic books distribution has helped fandom overall, as well has creating a museum with his own funds..we owe this man a lot thanks. He is not ranked higher because he effects were felt after the pioneers who again risked everything at a time where there was no "sure" thing.

5  COMICS AND COMIXS -Bud Plant, Robert Beerbohm, John Barrett...In 1972 this store helped create the market for underground...self publishing comics...the creation of fandom had come full circle...it gave credibility  even in the store name...and launched a creative force which today impacts the world........John Barrett, RIP, was the nicest guy in fandom......his early death was a robbery.....one most remember that the SF/Tom Reily  collection was the first BIG  pedigree  collection to hit comic book fandom...years before the mile high collection and this collection was sold there stores and SDCC etc.

WHAT ARE YOUR TOP FIVE AND WHY.......

5. Biljo White and Jerry Bails (tie) - They made fandom in my view. Otherwise I'm on board with your list Mitch.

Shouldn't some dude named Mitch be in there somewhere? :baiting:

Seriously, it would depend on the emphasis set to define importance.  Benchmarks that had an impact on the hobby for instance.

I'd include for consideration Jerry Weist (first pro-fanzine Squa Tront, prestige auctions, illustration art guide), Don & Maggie Thompson (pioneering books, articles, fanzines), Howard & Gail Rogofsky (first major dealers using classified ads in nationally distributed comics), Bob Overstreet (OSG), Jim Steranko (groundbreaking art and History of The Comics), G.B. Love (first regularly published comic adzine) & Alan Light (first professionally published national adzine), Mitch Mehdy (yeah, you! -First high profile comic purchase to gain national attention), Edgar Church (nationally recognized high grade pedigree collection)

There are so many folks worth considering that I feel apologetic for overlooking them, but certainly, everyone mentioned above deserves some recognition.

This is a topic that could run and run, with almost endless possibilities. I would never try to rank anybody in terms of importance, because it is just too subjective. Many of the names mentioned are strong contenders undoubtedly, but here are a few names I would throw into the mix.

Al Feldstein. Russ Cochran. Bill Gaines. Alex Schomburg. Edgar Church. Jerry Weist. Gary Dahlberg. Bob Kane. Bill Finger. (Censored) Sprang. Russ Heath. Neal Adams. Ernst Gerber. Nic Cage. Dallas Stephens. Chuck Rozanski. LB Cole. Bernard Baily. Johnny Craig. Charles Biro. Jack Davis. Graham Ingels etc etc etc

Edited by Grantley Goddard

41 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Shouldn't some dude named Mitch be in there somewhere? :baiting:

Seriously, it would depend on the emphasis set to define importance.  Benchmarks that had an impact on the hobby for instance.

I'd include for consideration Jerry Weist (first pro-fanzine Squa Tront, prestige auctions, illustration art guide), Don & Maggie Thompson (pioneering books, articles, fanzines), Howard & Gail Rogofsky (first major dealers using classified ads in nationally distributed comics), Bob Overstreet (OSG), Jim Steranko (groundbreaking art and History of The Comics), G.B. Love (first regularly published comic adzine) & Alan Light (first professionally published national adzine), Mitch Mehdy (yeah, you! -First high profile comic purchase to gain national attention), Edgar Church (nationally recognized high grade pedigree collection)

There are so many folks worth considering that I feel apologetic for overlooking them, but certainly, everyone mentioned above deserves some recognition.

Well-said! I certainly would not overlook Weist; sorry about that one! But there are so many who moved the hobby forward through the years among the ranks of collectors, dealers, etc. 

I tried to leave the pros aside, but what do you do about creators who got their start as major players in the fan/fanzine movement??? Roy Thomas? Wendy Pini, mother of cosplay?

Also, who are the dealers who are credited with coining the term GGA? I don't want to name the wrong person; not sure if my memory is attributing correctly.

And maybe Robert Bell and the buyers of his collection (understatement, I realize), Dolgoff and the Koch brothers?

Some sinners and saints here but no matter how you feel about them, had an immeasurable impact on comics and how we collect them today.

How about the Carters? Early trendsetting collectors also Gary publishing one of the best fanzines about comics ever done.

If you include Edgar Church how about Lamont Larson. Neither one ever had any idea how much impact just keeping their collections would mean to us.

Ernie Gerber. Mylar and archival comic supplies. His two volume GA cover index turned the hobby upside down as to why and how we collect comics today.

Chuck Rozanski not just for being the lucky buyer of the Church collection but for creating an empire out of it.

Shel Dorf, Richard Alf and the rest of their crew for creating the "big daddy" of comic book cons.

Bert Blum of Cherokee Books, Leonard Brown and Malcom Willits (and gotta throw in one of our own, The Yellow Kid (Rich Olsen) for creating maybe the earliest comic book stores in the country.

Terry Stroud and David T Alexander for marketing and creating genres like "good girl art", "bondage covers" and "esoteric" comics. Terms that are still being used and actively collected today.

1 hour ago, Mothballs said:

I would take several people off this list because later in life they helped ruin the hobby.

Russ Cochran - his arrogance when he took over CBM caused the ruination of the greatest comic related mag ever.

Robert Beerbohm - just read his stuff from the past 10 years, he's gone off the deep end.

David Alexander - how he got mentioned here is astounding. That guy has been on my Do Not Buy From List since his ads in CBG in the mid-90s. The guy's a shyster, a used car salesman dealing in comics.

And fuuck Mitch, he's one of the biggest asssholes in the hobby.

Edited 1 hour ago by Mothballs

I'm trying to imagine what this post looked like before it was edited.

10 minutes ago, sagii said:

Michelle Nolan is one that comes to mind.

Stephen Fishler (Vincent Zurzolo too)

Gary Carter

Yes; I'm especially embarassed having not mentioned Gary earlier...so while we're at it, let's not forget one of our own, Gary's top editor, Pat Calhoun.

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

Yes; I'm especially embarassed having not mentioned Gary earlier...so while we're at it, let's not forget one of our own, Gary's top editor, Pat Calhoun.

Absolutely! @Pat Calhoun turned me on to 'Manhunt'. Especially #2, one of my favorite covers ever!

For me personally,

GAtor, Ciorac, MrBedrock, Primetime, Cat-ManAmerica, Point Five, comicjack, sagii, GothamKid, Sha, Robotman, Catrick, sacentaur, Ricksneatstuff etc. there are Tons more but the great boardies who are passionate about funny books really got me back in the game for keeps after my re entry from childhood!! Oh and also my Dad, my Mom, my best friend Scott, and my grandma Michaelina who were there for me in the beginning not only introducing me to comics but also supporting this crazy addiction ?

and Mitch you odd duck you're a cool dude in my book ?

Edited by gino2paulus2
Sorry that probably didn't answer the question at all but these are ALL TIMERs to me!!

I will add to the ones already mentioned.

Gary Groth of The Comics Journal. For awhile there TCJ was like the Rolling Stone and Creem magazines of comics.

Dave Sim for being not only a creator,but as publisher of longest running independent comic book.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

3 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

For me personally,

GAtor, Ciorac, MrBedrock, Primetime, Cat-ManAmerica, Point Five, comicjack, sagii, GothamKid, Sha, Robotman, Catrick, sacentaur, Ricksneatstuff etc. there are Tons more but the great boardies who are passionate about funny books really got me back in the game for keeps after my re entry from childhood!! Oh and also my Dad, my Mom, my best friend Scott, and my grandma Michaelina who were there for me in the beginning not only introducing me to comics but also supporting this crazy addiction ?

and Mitch you odd duck you're a cool dude in my book ?

i'm going to need to call it a day and head home early, in light of my omission here.