• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RANK THE TOP 5 MOST IMPORTANT PERSONS IN COMIC BOOK COLLECTING OF ALL TIME
2 2

98 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

i'm going to need to call it a day and head home early, in light of my omission here.

Yep, I get your pain not being mentioned in his Oscars-esque acceptance speech list. :cry:

36 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

he's probably going to apologize profusely, which may cut my therapy regimen down some...

Profuse apologies only result from drawing the short straw.

You deserve recognition for proudly standing in a field apart, leaving no crow unturned.

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:
5 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

For me personally,

GAtor, Ciorac, MrBedrock, Primetime, Cat-ManAmerica, Point Five, comicjack, sagii, GothamKid, Sha, Robotman, Catrick, sacentaur, Ricksneatstuff etc. there are Tons more but the great boardies who are passionate about funny books really got me back in the game for keeps after my re entry from childhood!! Oh and also my Dad, my Mom, my best friend Scott, and my grandma Michaelina who were there for me in the beginning not only introducing me to comics but also supporting this crazy addiction ?

and Mitch you odd duck you're a cool dude in my book ?

i'm going to need to call it a day and head home early, in light of my omission here.

He left me out, too!  And after all we've done for that guy! :taptaptap:

Oh, wait, we haven't done anything for him, but but we did hope he wouldn't notice! :)

20 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Shouldn't some dude named Mitch be in there somewhere? :baiting:

Seriously, it would depend on the emphasis set to define importance.  Benchmarks that had an impact on the hobby for instance.

I'd include for consideration Jerry Weist (first pro-fanzine Squa Tront, prestige auctions, illustration art guide), Don & Maggie Thompson (pioneering books, articles, fanzines), Howard & Gail Rogofsky (first major dealers using classified ads in nationally distributed comics), Bob Overstreet (OSG), Jim Steranko (groundbreaking art and History of The Comics), G.B. Love (first regularly published comic adzine) & Alan Light (first professionally published national adzine), Mitch Mehdy (yeah, you! -First high profile comic purchase to gain national attention), Edgar Church (nationally recognized high grade pedigree collection)

There are so many folks worth considering that I feel apologetic for overlooking them, but certainly, everyone mentioned above deserves some recognition.

Glad you mentioned G.B. Love.  The old RB&CC played an important role in 1960s fandom. I certainly eagerly awaited the arrival of each issue.

Along those lines, I might also add Dona Rosa, whose RB&CC column was a source of info that was tough to find in those days.

Maybe Ron Frantz for his work trying to bring some structure to fandom and mediate disputes between buyers and sellers.

I wouldn't rank any of these people ahead of Overstreet, the Thompsons, Alan Light, Jerry Weist, Roy Thomas, or Rogofsky, but if we're calling the roll, they should probably be mentioned.

I agree with adding Mitch to the list. I remember reading the article about him in the World Book Encyclopedia back in the 70's. He was very important to the collecting hobby. And the founders of CGC. I don't think comics would be selling for anywhere near their current levels without reputable 3rd party grading.

imageproxy.jpg

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

You guys also forgot to mention Benjamin Franklin ....... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Good point.  Without bifocals, how could us old guys read these books? 

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

You guys also forgot to mention Benjamin Franklin ....... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Now just a durn minute. If yer gonna mention my favorite American politician, (and well deserved) you gotta remember the "Big Daddy" of printing Gutenberg!

After all, without him, We would still be reading our funny books on cave walls.

Another couple...

(sorry to these gentlemen in advance for forgetting their first names and probably miss spelling their last names as well...)

these are people important to me personally by the way they affected my tastes and did some good amount of work to document stuff for us.

Keltner for his great indexes of GA comics.

Fred Von Berkowitz? For his EC indexes

Roger Hill and Bhob Stewart for promoting early EC fandom. Roger is still well and kicking. Sure would like to meet him some time)

Edited by Robot Man
Addition

23 hours ago, telerites said:

I know it may sound strange but I would a nod to Fredrick Wertham for bringing attention and scarcity to the hobby.

These are the ones that have had the most impact on me.  I am not going to rank but some I would consider would be:

Don and Maggie Thompson

Buddy Saunders

Jerry Bails

Alan Light

Grass Green

Biljo White

A couple of others that came to mind after my earlier posting are:

G.B. Love

Jim Van Hise

Again, these are folks who had more impact on me, mostly through indie published fanzines or books about comic history leading to my interest and learning.  That is what fandom means to me - sharing knowledge, exuberance, information, etc. out of their love for the hobby, often using their own resources to do so.  Thankfully, it was contagious enough to make this hobby so strong today.

45 minutes ago, telerites said:

A couple of others that came to mind after my earlier posting are:

G.B. Love

Jim Van Hise

Again, these are folks who had more impact on me, mostly through indie published fanzines or books about comic history leading to my interest and learning.  That is what fandom means to me - sharing knowledge, exuberance, information, etc. out of their love for the hobby, often using their own resources to do so.  Thankfully, it was contagious enough to make this hobby so strong today.

Yeah, that's what ment. 

Also Richard Kyle Alter Ego Magazine and his great comic book shop Wonderworld Books. Many hours were spent listening to a guy who bought Tec 27 off the stands. He knew how much EC comics ment to me even giving me his own EC Fan Addict to me as a present. He only sold current books but would show up with a few "oldies" for once in a while. You wouldn't believe the wall of Kirby covers he had that could be bought for a mere $150. Being a starving college student I could only stare in wonder every time I went in!

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

No love for Ernie Gerber and his landmark GA Photo-Journal Guide which opened the doors for many collectors to see covers for the first time which they had never ever seen before.  (thumbsu

I gave him props back always. Also those lovely mylars that make our books look so pretty!