• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Decides Who The Real Fans Are At C2E2 – No Window Bags For Comics Signatures!
5 5

216 posts in this topic

On 4/27/2017 at 4:03 AM, PatrickG said:

One potential solution if you want to give copies away to kids:

Raffle off pre-signed books. Free entry. Maybe tie it to a fun trivia question.

This allows kids/casual fans to get autographs. Being pre-signed/unwitnessed, that rules out CGC verification. Being a raffle, that makes it less certain.

Result: Resellers pay for your autograph. Little kids or non-speculators appreciate the book.

Result:  Flippers and resellers suddenly experience a birth boom and are bringing fifteen kids each to the show or suddenly asking relatives and friends if their kids want to go to a comic con.  :jokealert:

3 hours ago, Designer Toast said:

Result:  Flippers and resellers suddenly experience a birth boom and are bringing fifteen kids each to the show or suddenly asking relatives and friends if their kids want to go to a comic con.  :jokealert:

Well, those kids cost money too!

On 4/23/2017 at 7:04 PM, VintageComics said:

I'm not a sig series fan either but that doesn't mean that someone who collects sig series isn't a real fan.

I agree. This to me is Marvel shooting themselves in the OTHER foot. Why I want a book signed a specific way has nothing to do with whether i'm a "real" fan or not. I am not a huge fan of sigs, but i like to think that the option is there if I do want one. Grading is very mainstream. look at CGC and other grading companies trying to keep up with TATs. Obviously the market is large enough. So whether or not your book is windowed for grading or not shouldn't play any role in how much of a fan you are. that undermines the whole idea of collecting for a LOT of people. Sports, stamps, coins, etc. I'm excited to see how Marvel alienates their shrinking fanbase next week. :popcorn:

On 4/23/2017 at 7:07 PM, fastballspecial said:

I understand that, but there is no way they could know that so you have to draw the line somewhere. From a person who has stood in line for one signature for this and the guy next to me has 10 books.(And has piles of others in a box.) he wants signed I can understand their reasoning. Its hard to single one out instead they have to do a blanket policy.

Ok, I agree with this too. Except, start small.. limit ppl to 1 or 2 books per person. ya, they can send other ppl in, but at least you will get through faster. 

On 4/24/2017 at 0:37 AM, Thwipped said:

She is right. As a fan, I'm not planning on selling my books.  They are my personal collection. So getting them witnessed and graded is not SO important. 

Ive thought about this too. I see it slightly differently. I collect signature series and keep a lot in my PC. I don't technically need them graded since I'm not planning to sell them. But, I do plan to one day pass them on to my kiddo or kiddos. And, if they ever hit hard times one day after Im gone, they can sell them off and hopefully it will help them out. I think it serves multi purpose for me I guess.

Also, if I decide I want to upgrade a book (like I did recently with my ASM 14), that really helps with the value. I had it signed by Stan, sold it for a nice profit, bought another better one and had him sign that one. Anything I ever sell is to put towards buying more for my PC. Sig series helps with that value.

I saw that too!! I don't know that anyone would listen to not personalize these sigs and sketches. As the first suggestion in the comments of that post were for AH to personalize.

Personally I think that less people will get personalized issues idk that though. They also said in the comments that they don't mind flippers, but they wanted to make sure non-flippers get a crack at them first.

DISCONCERTING

I'm not a flipper, but I also don't want anything personalized-personally ;) I have a print personalized by Neal Adams, hopefully there is someone out there named Mark who would think it is cool :( 

10 hours ago, fullerjason said:

Just saw this on Adam Hughes' Facebook page...

Screenshot_2017-05-03-00-35-51.png

What she says MIGHT be true, but hopefully someone from the boards who knows Adam and/or his agent will make explain the whole process to make sure they have complete information before making their decisions.

For example, they MIGHT have heard that a facilitator is charging $55 to get an Adam Hughes sig, plus the $5 artist fee.  Well, yes and no.  Yes the customer pays the facilitator $55, BUT it includes:

Grading Fee $25-$30??

Invoice Fee $5 (yes it might be spread out if you submit more)

Shipping and Insurance $5-$15 (yes it might be less if you submit more)

Plus business costs of attending a con including food, housing, transportation, parking, possibly booth costs (if you have a booth), office expenses, plus taxes.

The rest is PURRREEEE profit! Somewhere between $5-$10 per book I would think, sometimes less, obviously a bit more if you have a volume high enough.  But with all the time spent to prepare to do everything including, prep, administration, advertising, answering communications. 

UNLESS some Facilitator is saying the Adam Hughes fee is higher than it really is....that would be in appropriate.

And if they end up "personalizing" that's just going to drive up the price for a book that says "to Mark" or "to Joe"---People can debate that there IS a problem--but these artists and Marvel seemed determined and Joe blow is not going to change their mind.....

I say just limit the number of books to get signed, have private signings....

I'd be PO if I was waiting in line and a guy/girl with 50 of the same book etc. also I never wait in line for an auto....sigh, I wait in line sometimes for other stuff from artists, but seriously if I can drop off at CGC I can spend more time at vendor's and shopping....etc... I mean c'mon it is not as black and white as they're making it sound

Has anyone pointed out that CGC is just an AUTHENTICATION SERVICE!!! I mean it is just a way to prove that it was signed, if they think that it is going to "save time" by not letting books get graded, what about the "real fan" that wants to stand there for his raw sig and talk about how the sky is blue for 20-30 minutes lol 

I waited for Chris Claremont at the first con I ever went to, and the guy in front of me talked so much, I got to say thank you for your work on the Phoenix  and that was it.....

36 minutes ago, revat said:

What she says MIGHT be true, but hopefully someone from the boards who knows Adam and/or his agent will make explain the whole process to make sure they have complete information before making their decisions.

For example, they MIGHT have heard that a facilitator is charging $55 to get an Adam Hughes sig, plus the $5 artist fee.  Well, yes and no.  Yes the customer pays the facilitator $55, BUT it includes:

Grading Fee $25-$30??

Invoice Fee $5 (yes it might be spread out if you submit more)

Shipping and Insurance $5-$15 (yes it might be less if you submit more)

Plus business costs of attending a con including food, housing, transportation, parking, possibly booth costs (if you have a booth), office expenses, plus taxes.

The rest is PURRREEEE profit! Somewhere between $5-$10 per book I would think, sometimes less, obviously a bit more if you have a volume high enough.  But with all the time spent to prepare to do everything including, prep, administration, advertising, answering communications. 

UNLESS some Facilitator is saying the Adam Hughes fee is higher than it really is....that would be in appropriate.

I pointed all of that out in my comment and gave an example of me submitting a book to facilitator for a book to be signed. Hopefully it helps but please other board members feel free to weigh in on Facebook.

1 hour ago, fullerjason said:

I pointed all of that out in my comment and gave an example of me submitting a book to facilitator for a book to be signed. Hopefully it helps but please other board members feel free to weigh in on Facebook.

I left a rather long one just now!! but I don't like facebook that you can't go back in and edit.....I forgot a word in one of my sentences and hopefully it still makes sense or is as powerfull