• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So this started at C2E2 - Marvel bans window bags at shows

31 posts in this topic

ok here comes my rant/2cents

A) Bleeding cool reported this. nuff said. 

B) Ive been to many many many cons, and gotten a ton of sigs. this has never been an issue before. (Even stan lee's handlers were ok with window bags!) Nor will it be in the future. Stop blowing this out of proportion.

C) Should this be an issue again, which I highly doubt, then maybe Sam should take an active role in informing writers and artists more about CGC. MOST of us are collectors first and foremost. not flippers. I like my sigs slabbed for protection and authentication purposes. Sure there are some who make a profit off of it, but its the same in any signed item field. Sports stars etc. You comic creators aren't special.

CGC should look more at the facilitators and their ever growing stable of artists and writers who whisper in their ear about making more money off collectors from CGC autographs. It's a total joke. Scott Snyder for one was always happy to sign a book for me CGC or not, now all of a sudden it's an issue. I hope Sam talks to some of these guys because from what I can tell CGC is quickly becoming a pariah in the comic creators world. 

4 hours ago, A-DONIS said:

From who?

I don't want to fan the flames.

But I already stated here and elsewhere I was with someone who had books signed at the X-Men Gold signing with a witness. There were three of us and one pile of books all bagged. Not sure on count of books, probably 5 to 10.

Guy behind us said to the marvel rep "are you getting a CGC witness here anytime soon? I want my books graded"
Marvel rep said "no"
Guy behind him said "I have a witness with me, why don't you just come back to the CGC booth with us?"

No issues. The BC article was the first any of us had heard about a marvel booth no go zone.

Even if I'm not getting a book graded i still window bag just to make it easier to carry in my bag, direct dogs, and keep my sweaty hands off the book. This is so stupid, don't see why it matters, who cares 

It happened, it's for real, it might have tapered off while certain Marvel reps were not around. I was given the heads up before the show started, expect it to be fully enforced at SDCC unless something changes. 

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spqkei

Dan Slott -

"My last word on the window box/BC nonsense.
Have talked with multiple freelancers who did signings through out the weekend.
ALL of them signed "window" bagged books at the booth.

The booth only deals with the problem when it BECOMES a problem with too many similarly taped, window bagged books started showing up. And that's a sign of one party abusing the free signing time for some serious flipping. (Something that might have been nice to know in, say, a news article that was researched before it went up online.)

(Remember the show where BC reported that the Netflix Daredevil booth signing was canceled? This was an article that was still up on the site while the the Netflix Daredevil booth signing was actually going on. That's the danger of sites that don't do due diligence.)

The free signing times at the Marvel Booth are there so that the greatest number of fans can get personal items signed by their favorite creators. The time is limited and when people try to game the system and get stacks of books signed that they can turn around and flip, it means the lines get capped early and many fans are turned away.

There actually ARE people out there who fill the lines with their employees, or pay people to stand there with stacks of their books, all for a way to turn those free signing times for personal mementos INTO large paydays. That's not fair to everyone who misses out.

The people working the Marvel Booth put in crazy hours at the show-- and they do it because they want everyone there to have a great time. With that comes times when they have to be the "bad cop" and cap a line, clear an aisle/entrance, enforce a book limit, or-- at certain times-- do things like ask people not to bring windowed/taped bags to the signings. This isn't done to punish fans. It's done because some bad apples have abused the system and the people at the booth want as many people as possible to have a chance to get through the line.

With individual creators, we have tables in artists alley. If something like this ever happens to you and you want your windowed/taped book signed, you can always find us there. I can't speak for other creators, but I'll sign them free of charge (as long as it's not a stack of the exact same comic with the exact same cover). And I have started asking that anyone with 5 items or more make a donation to the Hero's Initiative charity. 5 things is reasonable though, yeah?

Last thing:
Be nice to the booth guys, okay? It's a tough gig. The hours are CRAZY. And they've been there before you, setting up the booth-- and will be there after you, taking it down. Especially be SUPER-nice to 'em on the last day. :) I love them all very much. They're the hardest working sons of at each and every show!"

For such a smart guy Dan Slott is awfully uninformed. 

There actually ARE people out there who fill the lines with their employees, or pay people to stand there with stacks of their books, all for a way to turn those free signing times for personal mementos INTO large paydays. That's not fair to everyone who misses out.

This makes me laugh the loudest. No one is making money off your name Dan. This also brings me back to my point in my previous post. Sam needs to do some serious damage control here.  Talk to these companies and talk to the facilitators out there. CGC is becoming a pariah here. These creators think that anyone grading a book is just doing so to flip it clearly. 

I'll wait and see what happens in the future but if this is the case, i'm done with creator sigs. 

16 hours ago, BeachBum said:

It happened, it's for real, it might have tapered off while certain Marvel reps were not around. I was given the heads up before the show started, expect it to be fully enforced at SDCC unless something changes. 

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spqkei

Dan Slott -

"My last word on the window box/BC nonsense.
Have talked with multiple freelancers who did signings through out the weekend.
ALL of them signed "window" bagged books at the booth.

The booth only deals with the problem when it BECOMES a problem with too many similarly taped, window bagged books started showing up. And that's a sign of one party abusing the free signing time for some serious flipping. (Something that might have been nice to know in, say, a news article that was researched before it went up online.)

(Remember the show where BC reported that the Netflix Daredevil booth signing was canceled? This was an article that was still up on the site while the the Netflix Daredevil booth signing was actually going on. That's the danger of sites that don't do due diligence.)

The free signing times at the Marvel Booth are there so that the greatest number of fans can get personal items signed by their favorite creators. The time is limited and when people try to game the system and get stacks of books signed that they can turn around and flip, it means the lines get capped early and many fans are turned away.

The people working the Marvel Booth put in crazy hours at the show-- and they do it because they want everyone there to have a great time. With that comes times when they have to be the "bad cop" and cap a line, clear an aisle/entrance, enforce a book limit, or-- at certain times-- do things like ask people not to bring windowed/taped bags to the signings. This isn't done to punish fans. It's done because some bad apples have abused the system and the people at the booth want as many people as possible to have a chance to get through the line.

With individual creators, we have tables in artists alley. If something like this ever happens to you and you want your windowed/taped book signed, you can always find us there. I can't speak for other creators, but I'll sign them free of charge (as long as it's not a stack of the exact same comic with the exact same cover). And I have started asking that anyone with 5 items or more make a donation to the Hero's Initiative charity. 5 things is reasonable though, yeah?

Last thing:
Be nice to the booth guys, okay? It's a tough gig. The hours are CRAZY. And they've been there before you, setting up the booth-- and will be there after you, taking it down. Especially be SUPER-nice to 'em on the last day. :) I love them all very much. They're the hardest working sons of at each and every show!"

Hey Dan, adding your sig to a book upped the value by almost a whole dollar.  That is really a "large payday."

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:20 PM, TheRealVenom said:

For such a smart guy Dan Slott is awfully uninformed. 

This makes me laugh the loudest. No one is making money off your name Dan. This also brings me back to my point in my previous post. Sam needs to do some serious damage control here.  Talk to these companies and talk to the facilitators out there. CGC is becoming a pariah here. These creators think that anyone grading a book is just doing so to flip it clearly. 

I'll wait and see what happens in the future but if this is the case, i'm done with creator sigs. 

Dan is speaking not just of himself but everyone. We know that there are creators who charge at their book for signing CGC books in artist Alley (Scott Snyder,  Jim Lee, Chris Claremont, etc etc etc). When people are signing at the DC booth or the Marvel booth they can't charge their. It wouldn't look right. So people have loaded the lines to get their items signed at those booth signings instead of paying the creators to sign at artist alley, private signing like Jim Lee does, etc. I'm not going to name names, but lots of people out there know that this happens.

I spoke to some of the people at Marvel after this.  They don't have a problem with a person going up and getting a CGC signature. They don't have a problem with a person getting three different books. But they do when someone goes up with 5 of the same cover, and the person behind them has 5 of another cover all prepped the same way.  The artist then knows that this isn't a collector getting them done for themselves. Even Dan Slott knows that some people just collect CGC books...but he's smart enough to know when the person in front of him isn't a collector in most cases.

This is the reason that I and some other people don't get creators to sign items at booth signings like this...we set up private signings, arrange a time to sign at their booth, after hours, etc.

Whats being lost in all this is, even if a flipper is upcharging for an autograph, at the end of the day little billy or suizie is going to get a book signed and authenticated by cgc and it's going to make their day. Maybe they can't afford to attend and this is the only way of getting a gauranteed authentic signature.

Personally, as long as its not blatant price gouging, (No reason to charge upwards of 200 for a pre signed campbell book!)  let flippers do their thing. If its a real issue for the creators then limit the number of signatures to 5 per person. It'll keep the lines running quick and smoothly. Also Dan Slott needs to stop having half hour conversations with every fan. God bless his soul he's an awesome guy but man, talk less sign more haha