• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If I'm the artist for a sketch cover, can I get gold label?

13 posts in this topic

If I'm the artist for a sketch cover, can I get gold label?

I just did my first sketch cover. It's a recreation but I'm the artist on it.

I'm tempted to put it in with my next CGC batch. Since I'm the artist, can it qualify for Gold label?

And, for fun, here it is: 

IMG_0790.JPG

Ask CGC.  I believe you can.  You might have to fill out a form that you are an artist/creator (even if amateur).  Perhaps need to sign it in front of CGC witness even.  Please post when you get your answer from CGC.   I have been meaning to do one myself and submit for fun.

I think yellow label (sorry, wrong term before) can be witnessed by a rep OR directly submitted by the artist. But since I'm not a "name", I wondered if that still worked or if I needed extra paperwork at a minimum.

I could be wrong but I believe CGC has to approve you first as a recognized artist, then they have to witness your signature or at least verify with you in person that you sketched/signed the piece. 

My LCS owner was a former Disney artist and applied w CGC as an artist. I bought a commission piece from him and I met him at a convention to have a CGC representative verify his work before they would take it. 

Nice job with the light blues on that background.  Really got a nice even tone.  Watercolor?

I like this topic.  I am also eager to hear what the process for becoming a CGC "recognized" artist is.

IIRC, if you are the artist and at the convention CGC is taking books at you can walk up to the table and fill out the form.  If you are mailing in the book you have to fill out the artists form (circa 2 years ago), CGC has changed the program and at one point you needed minimum for mail-ins.

If the book is for someone else you just have to accompany them to the CGC booth, I did this for a sketch 3 years ago at St Louis Comic-con (not WW).

Edit:  I really hate the boards and still waiting for accounts to merged.

Edited by DougC1

10 minutes ago, DougC1 said:

IIRC, if you are the artist and at the convention CGC is taking books at you can walk up to the table and fill out the form.  If you are mailing in the book you have to fill out the artists form (circa 2 years ago), CGC has changed the program and at one point you needed minimum for mail-ins.

If the book is for someone else you just have to accompany them to the CGC booth, I did this for a sketch 3 years ago at St Louis Comic-con (not WW).

Edit:  I really hate the boards and still waiting for accounts to merged.

I think @Architecht there was a procedure to do it, as all the accounts that I know of have merged :) Architecht shoudld be able to help with an account merge....