• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Those are some massive numbers.

Blows me away that Avatar did so much business.  I personally thought it stunk and have no idea what the hoopla with that film was.  Yet 10 years later it still sits comfortably atop the list.  Props to James Cameron for that.

15 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

The cloak being a relic doesn't change the fact that it is magical.

Uru:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/uru/4055-40970/

It was Tony Stark, who first discovered this metal's natural affinity for magic. It has shown to be capable of storing vast amounts of energy, particularly magical energies. While not easily enchanted, Uru metal absorbs magic like a sponge, redirecting it and enhancing the natural attributes of its wielder. The enchanting process also dramatically increases its durability. Tony Stark's "Thorbuster" Armor, is fueled by Uru. This allowed it to channel a full blast of lightning from Mjolnir and the Odinforce into a blast from its Uni-beam.

A symbiotic relationship between Uru and its wielder exists that allows for many astounding feats: a mystical user, such as Thor, can lend his own strength to the Uru in his hammer, thus making the metal stronger and more resilient.

Dictionary:

con·scious·ness
/ˈkän(t)SHəsnəs/
noun
noun: consciousness
  1. the state of being awake and aware of one's surroundings.
    "she failed to regain consciousness and died two days later"
    synonyms: awareness, wakefulness, alertness, responsiveness, sentience
    "she failed to regain consciousness"
    antonyms: unconsciousness
    • the awareness or perception of something by a person.
      plural noun: consciousnesses
      "her acute consciousness of Mike's presence"
      synonyms: awareness of, knowledge of the existence of, alertness to, sensitivity to, realization of, cognizance of, mindfulness of, perception of, apprehension of, recognition of
      "her acute consciousness of Luke's presence"
    • the fact of awareness by the mind of itself and the world.
      "consciousness emerges from the operations of the brain"

You're trying way too hard to dance around the facts. It's okay to be wrong. The first step in solving a problem is realizing that there is one.

No matter how many times you cry "2 + 3 = 4", the fact is that the correct answer will always be 5.

There's an old saying, something like, "blank is as blank does".

The reason I brought up the cloak being a relic, is because it's explained in Doctor Strange that relics "choose their wielders". Mjolnir, nor Stormbreaker, have any ability to "choose". Hence the distinction between a magical relic, and an alloy that has the property of magical affinity.

To quote Nick Fury, "they're not the same thing".

Edited by TwoPiece

I don't think Endgame will (or should be) considered a failure if it only makes say...$1.4 bn. worldwide.

That's:

a) a normal percentage drop for even a highly-regarded sequel

b) it will be _really_ hard to top the impact of Infinity War on a couple of levels. Including

- seeing nearly _everyone_ interact for the first time

- coming so soon after Black Panther

- the emotional gut punch of the ending

59 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Blows me away that Avatar did so much business.  I personally thought it stunk and have no idea what the hoopla with that film was.  Yet 10 years later it still sits comfortably atop the list.  Props to James Cameron for that.

Although many great films have come out after Avatar, it is wild it is still top dog. It's not a bad story, though. I rewatched it a few months ago and enjoyed it. But certainly not as impactful as it was at its initial release.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Although many great films have come out after Avatar, it is wild it is still top dog. It's not a bad story, though. I rewatched it a few months ago and enjoyed it. But certainly not as impactful as it was at its initial release.

I find it even more wild that Cameron has been working for nine years on shooting four sequels simultaneously.  If it were anyone else but the most successful film creator of all time I'd have to wonder what they're smoking, yet I still find myself wondering what he's smoking.  :insane:

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

I don't think Endgame will (or should be) considered a failure if it only makes say...$1.4 bn. worldwide.

That's:

b) it will be _really_ hard to top the impact of Infinity War on a couple of levels. Including

It is crazy to assume it MUST top all other MCU films or else this is a failure. It's a capstone movie, and people should enjoy it for what this is.

Just now, fantastic_four said:

I find it even more wild that Cameron has been working for nine years on shooting four sequels simultaneously.  If it were anyone else but the most successful film creator of all time I'd have to wonder what they're smoking, yet I still find myself wondering what he's smoking.  :insane:

This is so true. I've thought the same thing, yet in the back of mind I fall back on '...but this is James Cameron!' :insane:

25 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

That's:

I don't really care for financial numbers. Anything less than $1 billion would obviously be a "bust", though. No chance its numbers are that low, I think.

A failure would be something that doesn't live up to the hype. That hype is: The end of most things Phases 1-3. Undoing the deaths of pre-snap characters like Loki, Heimdall, Gamora, Vision, etc.

Marvel Studios has had fans talking about this movie for an entire year. I cannot even tell you the last time I got together with friends and we didn't spend at least an hour talking about the MCU and speculating about the "end".

I would be extremely surprised if this doesn't pass $2 billion.

53 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Is this for real?

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

I think it was the special effects at the time. It ushered in the new 3-D craze. I thought it was alright, but it never compelled me to go back and watch it like Star Wars and the Marvel movies.

Avatar is definitely the only film I've seen where I felt that the 3D enhanced my experience.  Seems like a gimmick every other time I've seen it and I try to avoid it when I can now, although I do like IMAX and if the only IMAX option also includes 3D I'll concede to it.

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Avatar is definitely the only film I've seen where I felt that the 3D enhanced my experience.  Seems like a gimmick every other time I've seen it and I try to avoid it when I can now, although I do like IMAX and if the only IMAX option also includes 3D I'll concede to it.

Oddly enough, my experience with Avatar was in a 3-D theater as people kept telling me it was so worth the experience. And it was! When they walk through that florescent forest, those colors and images were incredible.

Two things I've noticed from repeated watchings.... I'll put them into spoilers for no other reasons than sometimes people don't even like to read blatant guesses about stuff (which is all this is... although I feel pretty good them)...

Spoiler

1.  The "slow walk" in what appears to be quantum suits screams misdirection to me, ala Hulk running with the team in Wakanda in the Infinity War trailer.  Would they go back to the well with the same trick again? Maybe not... but it's also very possible Stark never makes it back to Avengers HQ in this movie.  I do hope he and Cap meet up somewhere, but it might not be a where as much as a "when"

2. The clip of Thor holding and looking at Stormbreaker... I think THAT is the key moment in the trailer. It doesn't strike me that it was taken from IW, but it sure seems like it was at the same moment in the story, doesn't it?  I believe this is Thor... at the climax of Endgame, finally having a second chance to "go for the head" and fix everything.

2 minutes ago, fmaz said:

Two things I've noticed from repeated watchings.... I'll put them into spoilers for no other reasons than sometimes people don't even like to read blatant guesses about stuff (which is all this is... although I feel pretty good them)...

Reveal hidden contents

1.  The "slow walk" in what appears to be quantum suits screams misdirection to me, ala Hulk running with the team in Wakanda in the Infinity War trailer.  Would they go back to the well with the same trick again? Maybe not... but it's also very possible Stark never makes it back to Avengers HQ in this movie.  I do hope he and Cap meet up somewhere, but it might not be a where as much as a "when"

2. The clip of Thor holding and looking at Stormbreaker... I think THAT is the key moment in the trailer. It doesn't strike me that it was taken from IW, but it sure seems like it was at the same moment in the story, doesn't it?  I believe this is Thor... at the climax of Endgame, finally having a second chance to "go for the head" and fix everything.

Spoiler

That Thor clip does look exactly like, "it worked". Like he did "whatever it takes" this time, without the 'I told you so' moment, and he killed Thanos before The Snap.

They did shoot Avengers 3 and 4 at the same time, with some re-shoots, and that may have been because some things are going to occur in the same "timeline". Idk. There's so much to speculate on...