• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2019 at 8:06 AM, 234wallst said:

You do realize that Marvel Studios does not own the rights to Spider-Man - he still belongs to Sony.  Sony funds the films and takes in all the profits, but Marvel Studios produces it for them (they put the MCU shine on it, that for whatever reason other studios can't seem to replicate on any consistent basis).  The current agreement is for 3 Spidey solo films, and a new agreement would be required for the partnership to continue.  There is no way MS makes him the "key" character going forward, because they have no control over his future and it would be less profitable.

While it's true that Marvel Studios doesn't profit from Spider-Man's solo films - they profit from everything else Spider-Man-relative.

So, what you've said makes no difference in the scope of this discussion. Marvel Studios can do pretty much whatever they want with Spider-Man, creatively, and Sony will just say, "okay". It's close to a non-factor.

My local cineplex has a whopping 16 screenings for Thursday night previews. Granted, there are 10 English & 6 French, not to mention half are VIP+. Many of the screenings are sold out, likely bringing in 60k+ for that 1 theater. It might even beat TFA Thursday night of 57 million judging by all the news coverage pre ticket sales have been receiving worldwide. If Endgame can bring in an average of 30k/25k/20k per theater opening weekend in North America x 4400, we’re talking 132m/110m/88m, which is a 330 million opening weekend. We will have a better idea by Friday morning. I plan to go an hour+ early Thursday just to make sure I get descent seats. Hopefully Friday morning show will be easier to get into, as I plan to go again.:wishluck:

8 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

...I plan to go an hour+ early Thursday just to make sure I get descent seats. Hopefully Friday morning show will be easier to get into, as I plan to go again.:wishluck:

Hallelujah for assigned seating.

Emagine and MJR theaters in Michigan have it.

I have decent seats for Thor'sday. Best seats in the house on Friday and Saturday, though.

Yes, tonight is the big premiere for Avengers: Endgame. The review embargo drops tomorrow afternoon, and it opens in China on Wednesday (or technically Tuesday thanks to time zone magic). So, before the end begins, I wanted to make up a cheat sheet of sorts for the various domestic opening weekend records (and the big global launch record) it might break when it opens Thursday night. These are not predictions, merely possibilities. Let’s presume that Peter Parker and the Deathly Hallows Part II is at least halfway decent (or works as a mainstream crowdpleaser). If the Russo Bros.’ IMAX-filmed season finale performs at relative best case scenario levels, what records might fall this weekend? Well, without further ado…

• Biggest Thursday preview grosses
  • Biggest “pure Friday” gross
  • Biggest opening day/biggest Friday gross
  • Biggest Saturday gross
  • Biggest Sunday gross
  • Biggest opening weekend
  • Biggest worldwide debut weekend

For the record, Infinity War earned around 2.4645x its global launch ($2.048 billion). For the “Hey, it could top Avatar!” folks, it would have to maintain that multiplier despite potentially brutal competition with a global launch of at least $1.132 billion this weekend. Titanic’s second-place slot ($2.1 billion, counting the reissues) may be in peril, but I don’t think the gold medal is. Let’s see if it can top $1 billion this weekend and then we’ll talk about odds of it taking the grand prize. Besides, if Endgame snatches the top-grosser title from James Cameron, he’s just going to steal it right back with Avatar 2 next year.

He goes through each record history to share why he thinks Endgame will topple all. Love that this is a comic book movie setting the stage once again.

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Ugh, why so late in the evening!  First time I've seen them lift one this late.

I read a few articles about this. The Russo Brothers are very concerned people will go out of their way to share the twists in this story before everyone gets a chance to see it for themselves. And especially with these early reviews wanting to make their point they have seen the film.

I kind of don't blame them. There was one movie recently where I went out of my way to avoid spoilers, and in reading a non-spoiler review the person openly posted who was going to die. Without even realizing they had done it.

Why Avengers: Endgame's Review Embargo Is Lifting So Late

The simplest reason is that Marvel doesn't want any spoilers out there. They've kept the plot of Avengers: Endgame under wraps, conducting a carefully-orchestrated marketing campaign that drip-feeds information and avoids explaining the overarching story. At one point Kevin Feige was even suggesting that footage in trailers and TV spots would all be drawn from the first 15-20 minutes of the film; he was clearly exaggerating, but the fact remains that Marvel do not want viewers to be spoiled about this film - something that an early review embargo lift would, even with critics keeping the secrets, be risky.

In the case of Avengers: Endgame, the level of secrecy is pretty remarkable considering Marvel hasn't pulled any punches when it comes to marketing; the promotional campaign is estimated to cost $200 million. This is $50 million more than they spent on Avengers: Infinity War, and has been achieved by expanding narrowly targeted ads. Marvel has used this to increase the number of demographic groups they reach, while carefully controlling the information that goes public.