• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

I'm not going to post any spoilers but I had a lot of issues with the tone and pacing. It's a very different film to Infinity War to the point it's hard to believe they were written and directed by the same people and filmed at the same time. The humor was all over the place and just way too much. Some of the running jokes were ridiculous. Sometimes they get it about right like GotG and Ragnarok and other times It's just forced like Thor TDW Guardians 2.

Neither was I happy with some of the character arcs or how much of a diversion it takes from the source material or the reasons for these decisions. It also left me fearing for what the future holds for the MCU. Oh and don't get me started about the plot holes.

Don't get me wrong it has some good moments and action scenes. I definitely need to watch it again but first impressions were not good :(

With a terrific $169 million international launch through Wednesday, Marvel Studios' blockbuster film event Avengers: Endgame is on track for somewhere north of $300+ million as it continues expanding into new markets Thursday, ahead of a full weekend opening that will approach $900 million in global receipts. That won't just be the biggest opening weekend in cinema history, it will surpass the previous record -- set last year by Avengers: Infinity War -- by almost 40%.

Endgame took a staggering $107 million in China on opening day (Wednesday), with an additional $62 million from other foreign territories. Thursday, China added an estimated $50+ million to the enormous haul, while other international markets look to match that figure, and the domestic screenings are expected to total $40+/- million. If those figures bear out, then Endgame will have around $310 million in the tank as it enters the weekend in most of the world.

Even if the rest of the weekend sees a cooling-off period because of significant front-loading -- and due to Sunday being a work day in China -- Avengers: Endgame is still on pace for at least another $240 million domestic, $80 million in the Middle Kingdom, and $240 million from remaining territories. It will in all likelihood exceed those figures, but the point is we're looking at a worldwide bow that (again, even with some cooling-off) will top at least $870 million.

My own estimate remains $890+ million, which includes the potential to top $900 million. If Thursday's receipts push it toward $320 million territory, then I'll fully expect a $900+ million finish for the weekend.

58 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:

I'm not going to post any spoilers but I had a lot of issues with the tone and pacing. It's a very different film to Infinity War to the point it's hard to believe they were written and directed by the same people and filmed at the same time. The humor was all over the place and just way too much. Some of the running jokes were ridiculous. Sometimes they get it about right like GotG and Ragnarok and other times It's just forced like Thor TDW Guardians 2.

Neither was I happy with some of the character arcs or how much of a diversion it takes from the source material or the reasons for these decisions. It also left me fearing for what the future holds for the MCU. Oh and don't get me started about the plot holes.

Don't get me wrong it has some good moments and action scenes. I definitely need to watch it again but first impressions were not good :(

good review Johnny Raincloud,  you make me want to try and get a refund for my tickets on sunday

Ross Marquand, who portrayed the spectral Red Skull in Avengers: Infinity War, admits he doesn’t know if the once Hydra commander was spared or even affected by Thanos’ (Josh Brolin) snap that obliterated half of all life in the universe.

“That’s a great question, I have no idea. I don’t know, to be perfectly honest, I have no idea,” Marquand told DubaiLAD at Middle East Film & Comic Con.

“Because that was a question that I had as well. But Marvel is very tight-lipped about it, they don’t really reveal a lot of those secrets, so your guess is as good as mine, I have no idea. He might be in the Soul Stone with everybody else, you never know.”

Spoiler

emotion01.gif.f311037133a504c97ee456353e99c8cb.gif

Its a hard one to review without giving parts of it away. There are scenes which are very slow, there are scenes where they really go for humour and there are scenes full of action. I think it was well received by the cinema I was in. The friends I know that have seen it also enjoyed it possibly without loving it.

I loved the movie but have mixed feelings about some of the directions they took. It had the best battle sequence I've seen in any Superhero film towards the end, but I wish it was longer. The audience clapped multiple times & really seemed to enjoy it. Treated my father out tonight & while he enjoyed it, he also said it was too long, so he wouldn't go again. He's more pumped for SW:ROS. I plan to go again tomorrow.

Movie was a mixed bag for me. Some very funny parts, some very moving.  Some of the filmmakers’ choices I did not like at all.

Thor and Hulk were the best things in the film.  Chris Hemsworth is just amazing in that role.

Plot-wise, the bold way Infinity War ended required them to really pull the rabbit out of the hat on part 2 to satisfy.  For me, I don’t think they nailed it.

Speaking as someone who saw Avengers I in the theater six times, and Infinity War probably the same number of times over the past year, I may never watch this one again. In fact, I may let it be my MCU swan song and let it all end with 22.  I can’t see it ever being the same again.

Thank you Marvel, it was a great run and I enjoyed every minute.

Interesting. I really thought everyone would be “GOAT” but sounds like they didn’t pull it off perfectly 

hard to do, lot of build up and maybe 3 hours is too long 

20 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Interesting. I really thought everyone would be “GOAT” but sounds like they didn’t pull it off perfectly 

hard to do, lot of build up and maybe 3 hours is too long 

This is why I don't trust red carpet reviewers.

Obviously I'll see it and form my own opinions.  But from all the hype I really thought this movie would be better than Infinity War (which is saying a lot).