• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

Just came back from 830pm showing. Going to try to post this spoiler-free review:

I have to say that it was not as good as Infinity War. IW had more action and was better paced. 

End Game is a little slower due to trying to "dot the i's and cross the t's". 

Definitely great battles scenes.

I agree that the comedy was forced a bit at times, as the running jokes shouldn't have run as much as they did.

As a swan song, it was definitely that as it definitely gave me some feels at the end.

There are still a couple of plot holes. 

Unfortunately, too long to make me want to see it again in theaters but a good fan boy movie and conclusion to 22 movies.  

:martini:

Saw it tonight with six friends and we all thought it was great. I really like seeing it on opening night with a sold out crowd everyone was clapping in all the right spots and laughing it up had a great time. Big moments, small moments, some feels. That's the way you make a movie, maybe the director of TLJ was watching and picked up some pointers on how to actually have your stars do something 2c Can't wait to take the wife and daughter this weekend and see it again :applause:

A very good friend of mine in Indiana, who is extremely hard on these movies, sent me his review at 2:30 am CST in America, and it was just this:

"What a piece of garbage. Skip the first 2 hours."

LOL. Thank goodness. Now I REALLY want to see it. 

11 hours ago, Anfield Fox said:

I'm not going to post any spoilers but I had a lot of issues with the tone and pacing. It's a very different film to Infinity War to the point it's hard to believe they were written and directed by the same people and filmed at the same time. The humor was all over the place and just way too much. Some of the running jokes were ridiculous. Sometimes they get it about right like GotG and Ragnarok and other times It's just forced like Thor TDW Guardians 2.

Neither was I happy with some of the character arcs or how much of a diversion it takes from the source material or the reasons for these decisions. It also left me fearing for what the future holds for the MCU. Oh and don't get me started about the plot holes.

Don't get me wrong it has some good moments and action scenes. I definitely need to watch it again but first impressions were not good :(

Pretty much in agreement with everything that is said here.  Infinity War and Endgame feel like two completely different movies to me where I had hoped they would feel connected.  The pace of Infinity War was much better and more engaging.  Endgame started off slow the first 2/3s and then picked it up at the end.  The Infinity War story and tone as well were polar opposites of what we got in Endgame.  For a film about our heroes coping with dealing with defeat, it felt much more lighthearted than Infinity War.  In fact, the first 2/3s of the movie felt like an Antman film (which, aren't exactly my favorite MCU movies).  As others have repeated, there are a few plot holes, but if we're being honest...that's kinda expected with this type of film.  I could go into further detail with spoilers, but it's 2am and I'm ready for bed.  I'll just say that while I watched Infinity War twice on opening weekend and multiple times since on blu-ray, I don't think Endgame is a movie I would see more than once in the theater.

5 hours ago, sd2416 said:

Man.  Not what I expected.  I have some questions.  Can we get a spoilers thread or group chat going?

I think if you're reading along in an Endgame thread, you're just asking for spoilers.  That said, if you have anything to say that's remotely spoilerish, just use the "spoiler" format (the eye in the formatting bar).

I saw it, and thought it was good but with too long a run time. Even though they were trying to wrap up 21 movies in this one production as a transition to the MCU future.

The third act is definitely what people are getting all excited over, leading to them allowing for flaws in the first two acts. There were definitely jokes that were overplayed, forced reminders there were certain character films before this they wanted to bring closure to, and even entertaining scenes from previous films that was really nice to refresh fan memories.

Emotional scenes were certainly thrown at you at points to remind fans these characters have suffered for their contributions to protect others...

Spoiler

Steve going back in time and seeing Peggy from a distance, but avoiding contact so as not to upset her when he leaves. Chris Evans's facial expressions were all you needed to see to feel his pain.

The most sympathetic character throughout this film is...

Spoiler

Poor Nebula. Once again, she was being manipulated by Thanos and his children as they used her to uncover The Avengers' plan, and due to this set them back by using the past Nebula to pretend to be herself in the future.

And there are some sacrifices that you knew were coming, with some working but forced and others perfectly presented and emotional...

Spoiler
  • Natasha Romanoff choosing to be the sacrifice so Clint can bring back the Soul Stone wraps up her run before the solo film. But then that's the odd part - she has a solo film coming as a prequel (?). Plus, I felt like this was odd in that the being receiving the Soul Stone had to be the one sacrificing what they loved. Yet Natasha was the one that threw herself off the cliff. Not Clint. So did he really earn the Stone then?!
  • Tony Stark being the final wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet to snap Thanos's army out of existence was pretty much predictable, along with Thanos himself. But it was a nice way for Robert Downey Jr. to wrap up his run.
  • Steve Rogers going back to return all the Infinity Stones, and deciding not to come back so he and Peggy could finally have that life he missed out on. Although emotional, it felt forced on us as his long sacrifice is what makes the character so relatable and sympathetic where you want him to continue on. This felt like 'Well - bye!'

I have to say Chris Hemsworth, to me, was really given a chance to shine more than ever before in a group film.

Spoiler

His performance as a damaged superhero was solid for me. Seeing him so twisted inside he made sure to cut off Thanos's head was a WOW moment. But him joking about it at that moment (I made sure to go for the head) seemed odd.

But then his becoming a washed-up superhero gaining weight and a semi-loner playing Fortnite with Korg and Miek was pretty funny stuff. And it was emotional when he goes back to Asgard to get the Reality Stone and happens across Frigga and Jane Foster. Of course they had to remove the Stone from Jane, which Rocket takes care of. But that exchange before Thor and Frigga is so moving.

The big Third Act is massive, and we get some big surprises.

Spoiler

Sure, Captain Marvel comes flying in to bring a big contribution. But man, Wanda comes in hot and shows off how truly powerful she is like never before. Even Thanos is shocked at her massive attack due to her emotional loss in not having Vision back. That scene made it on to Youtube already, it is so incredible. The fight that most were assuming would happen between him and Captain Marvel.

But now I get why some are referencing back to Ready Player One in that...

Spoiler

Doctor Strange opens up multiple portals and characters from across the MCU Universe come pouring onto the screen, which was cool. But it also felt like a big presentation without much depth as you don't see all of them in action other than charging forward. So some get lost in the massive noise of a huge battle.

Now the big surprise I didn't see coming at all was...

Spoiler

Steve handing off his shield to Sam, telling him to try it on for size and reassuring him it looks just right.

Could this also play out like in the comic books where a much older Steve Rogers now leads SHIELD while someone else serves as Captain America?

Overall, it's worth going to see this film. But I can see why no matter how massive its box office ends up, this is not going to be a 9.0/10.0 or better film for everyone. Still, worth the chance to experience it at least one time.

6.5/10.0

Hope its better than black panther I squirmed through that entire movie it was so slow and boring.... So consensus seems to be wait I'll the 2 hour mark to arrive at the theater....got it

Edited by krighton

32 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I saw it, and thought it was good but with too long a run time. Even though they were trying to wrap up 21 movies in this one production as a transition to the MCU future.

The third act is definitely what people are getting all excited over, leading to them allowing for flaws in the first two acts. There were definitely jokes that were overplayed, forced reminders there were certain character films before this they wanted to bring closure to, and even entertaining scenes from previous films that was really nice to refresh fan memories.

Emotional scenes were certainly thrown at you at points to remind fans these characters have suffered for their contributions to protect others...

Hide contents

Steve going back in time and seeing Peggy from a distance, but avoiding contact so as not to upset her when he leaves. Chris Evans's facial expressions were all you needed to see to feel his pain.

The most sympathetic character throughout this film is...

Hide contents

Poor Nebula. Once again, she was being manipulated by Thanos and his children as they used her to uncover The Avengers' plan, and due to this set them back by using the past Nebula to pretend to be herself in the future.

And there are some sacrifices that you knew were coming, with some working but forced and others perfectly presented and emotional...

Hide contents
  • Natasha Romanoff choosing to be the sacrifice so Clint can bring back the Soul Stone wraps up her run before the solo film. But then that's the odd part - she has a solo film coming as a prequel (?). Plus, I felt like this was odd in that the being receiving the Soul Stone had to be the one sacrificing what they loved. Yet Natasha was the one that threw herself off the cliff. Not Clint. So did he really earn the Stone then?!
  • Tony Stark being the final wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet to snap Thanos's army out of existence was pretty much predictable, along with Thanos himself. But it was a nice way for Robert Downey Jr. to wrap up his run.
  • Steve Rogers going back to return all the Infinity Stones, and deciding not to come back so he and Peggy could finally have that life he missed out on. Although emotional, it felt forced on us as his long sacrifice is what makes the character so relatable and sympathetic where you want him to continue on. This felt like 'Well - bye!'

I have to say Chris Hemsworth, to me, was really given a chance to shine more than ever before in a group film.

Hide contents

His performance as a damaged superhero was solid for me. Seeing him so twisted inside he made sure to cut off Thanos's head was a WOW moment. But him joking about it at that moment (I made sure to go for the head) seemed odd.

But then his becoming a washed-up superhero gaining weight and a semi-loner playing Fortnite with Korg and Miek was pretty funny stuff. And it was emotional when he goes back to Asgard to get the Reality Stone and happens across Frigga and Jane Foster. Of course they had to remove the Stone from Jane, which Rocket takes care of. But that exchange before Thor and Frigga is so moving.

The big Third Act is massive, and we get some big surprises.

Hide contents

Sure, Captain Marvel comes flying in to bring a big contribution. But man, Wanda comes in hot and shows off how truly powerful she is like never before. Even Thanos is shocked at her massive attack due to her emotional loss in not having Vision back. That scene made it on to Youtube already, it is so incredible. The fight that most were assuming would happen between him and Captain Marvel.

But now I get why some are referencing back to Ready Player One in that...

Hide contents

Doctor Strange opens up multiple portals and characters from across the MCU Universe come pouring onto the screen, which was cool. But it also felt like a big presentation without much depth as you don't see all of them in action other than charging forward. So some get lost in the massive noise of a huge battle.

Now the big surprise I didn't see coming at all was...

Hide contents

Steve handing off his shield to Sam, telling him to try it on for size and reassuring him it looks just right.

Could this also play out like in the comic books where a much older Steve Rogers now leads SHIELD while someone else serves as Captain America?

Overall, it's worth going to see this film. But I can see why no matter how massive its box office ends up, this is not going to be a 9.0/10.0 or better film for everyone. Still, worth the chance to experience it at least one time.

6.5/10.0

Good review. Agree with most of that. I totally saw that last spoiler. Even picked up a couple of copies of the book that it happens in for a quick flip though i didn't want it to happen.

Edited by Anfield Fox

8 hours ago, I like pie said:

Really hoping when heroes are brought back, they bring back Luke too:wishluck:

Still puzzled by keeping princess L alive and killing Luke...her floating in space may have been the dumbest and most cringe worthy cinematic scene in movie history....

4 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So not a single new character introduced? And not a single teaser? The entire movie....?

Spoiler

Nope. Not that I picked up on.

Though some articles are noting maybe some of the time travel plot holes were purposely done to support future stories. Though I don't see how yet. Other than with Steve turning into a much older character, is this Old Man Rogers ready to lead SHIELD?

22 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:

Good review. Agree with most of that. I totally saw that last spoiler. Even picked up a couple of copies of the book that it happens in for a quick flip though i didn't want it to happen.

Thank you. :foryou:

I really thought...

Spoiler

Bucky was going to be our go-forward Captain America. So when this happened, and Bucky gave him the nod, it was a surprise to me.

Just now, Bosco685 said:
  Hide contents

Nope. Not that I picked up on.

Though some articles are noting maybe some of the time travel plot holes were purposely done to support future stories. Though I don't see how yet. Other than with Steve turning into a much older character, is this Old Man Rogers ready to lead SHIELD?

Spoiler

I addicted to their steady stream of teasers, so I'm disappointed. But, I understand and respect their restraint. They didn't want this movie to be about what comes next...