• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:
  Hide contents

I addicted to their steady stream of teasers, so I'm disappointed. But, I understand and respect their restraint. They didn't want this movie to be about what comes next...

Agreed. The MCU made this steady experience the norm now. So when you get no credit scenes, you may have people jump up yelling 'Where's my MCU experience?'

:nyah:

WOW - moving was amazing.  I went in completely spoiler free.  Well I did now the overall concept of the "plan" which was leaked/discussed so much months ago.  Doesn't waste any time with memorable moments, and doesn't let up throughout the film.

My theater parking lot and lobby looked like it was FRI night rather than THU.

Edited by 234wallst

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I saw it, and thought it was good but with too long a run time. Even though they were trying to wrap up 21 movies in this one production as a transition to the MCU future.

The third act is definitely what people are getting all excited over, leading to them allowing for flaws in the first two acts. There were definitely jokes that were overplayed, forced reminders there were certain character films before this they wanted to bring closure to, and even entertaining scenes from previous films that was really nice to refresh fan memories.

Emotional scenes were certainly thrown at you at points to remind fans these characters have suffered for their contributions to protect others...

Reveal hidden contents

Steve going back in time and seeing Peggy from a distance, but avoiding contact so as not to upset her when he leaves. Chris Evans's facial expressions were all you needed to see to feel his pain.

The most sympathetic character throughout this film is...

Reveal hidden contents

Poor Nebula. Once again, she was being manipulated by Thanos and his children as they used her to uncover The Avengers' plan, and due to this set them back by using the past Nebula to pretend to be herself in the future.

And there are some sacrifices that you knew were coming, with some working but forced and others perfectly presented and emotional...

Reveal hidden contents
  • Natasha Romanoff choosing to be the sacrifice so Clint can bring back the Soul Stone wraps up her run before the solo film. But then that's the odd part - she has a solo film coming as a prequel (?). Plus, I felt like this was odd in that the being receiving the Soul Stone had to be the one sacrificing what they loved. Yet Natasha was the one that threw herself off the cliff. Not Clint. So did he really earn the Stone then?!
  • Tony Stark being the final wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet to snap Thanos's army out of existence was pretty much predictable, along with Thanos himself. But it was a nice way for Robert Downey Jr. to wrap up his run.
  • Steve Rogers going back to return all the Infinity Stones, and deciding not to come back so he and Peggy could finally have that life he missed out on. Although emotional, it felt forced on us as his long sacrifice is what makes the character so relatable and sympathetic where you want him to continue on. This felt like 'Well - bye!'

I have to say Chris Hemsworth, to me, was really given a chance to shine more than ever before in a group film.

Reveal hidden contents

His performance as a damaged superhero was solid for me. Seeing him so twisted inside he made sure to cut off Thanos's head was a WOW moment. But him joking about it at that moment (I made sure to go for the head) seemed odd.

But then his becoming a washed-up superhero gaining weight and a semi-loner playing Fortnite with Korg and Miek was pretty funny stuff. And it was emotional when he goes back to Asgard to get the Reality Stone and happens across Frigga and Jane Foster. Of course they had to remove the Stone from Jane, which Rocket takes care of. But that exchange before Thor and Frigga is so moving.

The big Third Act is massive, and we get some big surprises.

Reveal hidden contents

Sure, Captain Marvel comes flying in to bring a big contribution. But man, Wanda comes in hot and shows off how truly powerful she is like never before. Even Thanos is shocked at her massive attack due to her emotional loss in not having Vision back. That scene made it on to Youtube already, it is so incredible. The fight that most were assuming would happen between him and Captain Marvel.

But now I get why some are referencing back to Ready Player One in that...

Reveal hidden contents

Doctor Strange opens up multiple portals and characters from across the MCU Universe come pouring onto the screen, which was cool. But it also felt like a big presentation without much depth as you don't see all of them in action other than charging forward. So some get lost in the massive noise of a huge battle.

Now the big surprise I didn't see coming at all was...

Reveal hidden contents

Steve handing off his shield to Sam, telling him to try it on for size and reassuring him it looks just right.

Could this also play out like in the comic books where a much older Steve Rogers now leads SHIELD while someone else serves as Captain America?

Overall, it's worth going to see this film. But I can see why no matter how massive its box office ends up, this is not going to be a 9.0/10.0 or better film for everyone. Still, worth the chance to experience it at least one time.

6.5/10.0

Spoiler

So in Agent Carter, Peggy talked about her husband,and it was hinted at that it was Souza, was saved by Captain America.  I guess thats rewritten now.  
How did Hydra/Shield not know Peggy's husband was Cap?
Surely he took more vials of Pym Particles from 1970.
How does having 2024 Cap in the past not change any of the story? 

How did he return the soul stone?  
Since Natasha committed suicide, and Hank didn't "sacrifice" her, how does that work.

The glove wore down Hulk and Thanos when they put it on, but Stark took it with little grimace.  I know his suit helps, but the glove was made of the same thing, and it still beat down the Hulk 

Loki anyone?  What happened there?  He was never captured and taken to Asgard now, with him leaving with the stone

The unknown kid at the funeral at the end was the kid from Iron Man 3.  So that kid was never Peter Parker

Why did Peter go back to school?  It's five years later.  They didn't go back in time.  I didn't get that.
So the next movie, that's said to take place after Endgame, is 5 years in the future too now? 

All the interactions in the past, didnt change the future?

How does Thanos from 2014 dying in 2024 not change anything?

21 minutes ago, sd2416 said:
  Hide contents

So in Agent Carter, Peggy talked about her husband,and it was hinted at that it was Souza, was saved by Captain America.  I guess thats rewritten now.  
How did Hydra/Shield not know Peggy's husband was Cap?
Surely he took more vials of Pym Particles from 1970.
How does having 2024 Cap in the past not change any of the story? 

How did he return the soul stone?  
Since Natasha committed suicide, and Hank didn't "sacrifice" her, how does that work.

The glove wore down Hulk and Thanos when they put it on, but Stark took it with little grimace.  I know his suit helps, but the glove was made of the same thing, and it still beat down the Hulk 

Loki anyone?  What happened there?  He was never captured and taken to Asgard now, with him leaving with the stone

The unknown kid at the funeral at the end was the kid from Iron Man 3.  So that kid was never Peter Parker

Why did Peter go back to school?  It's five years later.  They didn't go back in time.  I didn't get that.
So the next movie, that's said to take place after Endgame, is 5 years in the future too now? 

All the interactions in the past, didnt change the future?

How does Thanos from 2014 dying in 2024 not change anything?

Spoiler

The biggest complaint I am reading is what has been thrown at the X-Men franchise for years with twists and turns from changed timelines. It is just too tricky.

But that Soul Stone sacrifice is what made me step back. Although it was a huge self-sacrifice moment, it was not by Clint's choice. So did HE really sacrifice anything?

Pretty amazing atmosphere at the mega cinema last night, the energy and the crowds were huge. I knew a couple of the broad spoiler points but that still didn't lessen the impact of seeing them on screen. I would very much like to see it again in the theater just for the sheer spectacle and my desire to see several of the key moments on a big screen at least once more. The movie could very well have been titled Avengers:Easter Egg for all the goodies they put in with call backs to virtually every MCU film.

I really had only one problem with the film in that Captain Marvel was used as purely a Deus Ex Machina device twice in the film which felt like lazy/forced writing.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Thank you. :foryou:

I really thought...

Hide contents

Bucky was going to be our go-forward Captain America. So when this happened, and Bucky gave him the nod, it was a surprise to me.

Spoiler

It does provide a nice way to give a Captain America and Bucky film though and it follows the comic book canon.

28 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

it's my hope that the directors' cut will be a 9 of 10.

You had to change your post for that 'zinger'?

Maybe something like 'Nah, they will come out with the America's Butt Edition with 20 extra minutes of Chris Evans looking at his rear from different angles'. But you can only understand that after watching Endgame.

emotions01.gif.dd9ffef40a1b0a80472d6a6b1a9d3c45.gif

12 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You had to change your post for that 'zinger'?

Maybe something like 'Nah, they will come out with the America's Butt Edition with 20 extra minutes of Chris Evans looking at his rear from different angles'. But you can only understand that after watching Endgame.

emotions01.gif.dd9ffef40a1b0a80472d6a6b1a9d3c45.gif

the post was changed from "director's" to "directors' " since there are two of 'em!    and how did the post reference you?????