• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Right now the estimate is floating between $152M-$158M depending on who you read. But Gitesh had to update his estimate substantially.

Wherever it lands, it's insane that Endgame might bring in TFA #'s domestically without the Christmas holiday.

19 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Wherever it lands, it's insane that Endgame might bring in TFA #'s domestically without the Christmas holiday.

Totally agree! This is fantastic news for comic book productions as a whole.

My honest short non spoiler reaction.  Good to great but not mind blowing.  I tentatively have it as my 7th favorite MCU movie, but that could change. Way more sentimental and character driven then I expected, and felt very much like the end. About a 7 or maybe 8 out of 10.

For the MCU as a whole it works very well.  I do wonder if Disney has inadvertently created a jumping off point for many especially the more casual fans.

Edited by drotto

55 minutes ago, drotto said:

My honest short non spoiler reaction.  Good to great but not mind blowing.  I tentatively have it as my 7th favorite MCU movie, but that could change. Way more sentimental and character driven then I expected, and felt very much like the end. About a 7 or maybe 8 out of 10.

For the MCU as a whole it works very well.  I do wonder if Disney has inadvertently created a jumping off point for many especially the more casual fans.

I was thinking the same thing about the casual viewers being less likely to continue watching all of these because of how this movie went.

40 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

1.2B opening w’kend????

At this point I’d say it’s very possible. Looking like it could reach around 650 - 700 between North America & China + maybe another 500 - 600 overseas. 

9ED6E61C-59EF-4D54-876F-DED6E3FD4034.jpeg

Edited by chezmtghut

while I suspect there is some superhero fatigue, whatever that amount is or isn't, has zero impact on the franchise that Disney/Marvel have created. These movies are the exception not the rule. People go to see them because of the investment that has been made to the characters over X number of years. 

The real challenge is where do they (and the rest of this Genre) go?

I'm certain that we can all agree that to replicate this success will be hard to do. How will these movies do beyond this one? Granted they are saved by the acquisition of FF and the mutants, and they could easily find a way to do this all over again. However, will the audience still be there, will they want to invest over 20+ films again? I'm very curious to see how/when this happens.

Disney/Marvel is a machine and they have been doing this for many many years so I don't doubt they can pull it off. But at what cost to the rest of the players. Those of us who saw Shazam can honestly say what a good movie that was. Did this movie have an impact? probably. What impact does it have on Hellboy? Not putting blame on Disney, they are here to make money. I'm just offering a perspective that while Disney is making 2-3 Billion on this movie, that money is being sucked out of other projects.Not everyone can afford to watch all 3 movies, or watch 4 since many will watch this one twice.

just got back from a 9 am showing and it was sold out, which i thought was awesome. In fact the ticket taker said the entire day was sold out. 

ill save my thoughts on the movie until everyone has gotten a chance to see it, But i absolutely loved it. Was it perfect? no , but damn it was awesome. 

Saw it with the wife this morning: Wow, just wow.  You can nitpick things that you may not like or would have done different, but that does not diminish the sheer audacity and epic scope of what the Russo Bros. did here. Incredible. :golfclap:(worship)

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

29 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

while I suspect there is some superhero fatigue, whatever that amount is or isn't, has zero impact on the franchise that Disney/Marvel have created. These movies are the exception not the rule. People go to see them because of the investment that has been made to the characters over X number of years. 

The real challenge is where do they (and the rest of this Genre) go?

I'm certain that we can all agree that to replicate this success will be hard to do. How will these movies do beyond this one? Granted they are saved by the acquisition of FF and the mutants, and they could easily find a way to do this all over again. However, will the audience still be there, will they want to invest over 20+ films again? I'm very curious to see how/when this happens.

Disney/Marvel is a machine and they have been doing this for many many years so I don't doubt they can pull it off. But at what cost to the rest of the players. Those of us who saw Shazam can honestly say what a good movie that was. Did this movie have an impact? probably. What impact does it have on Hellboy? Not putting blame on Disney, they are here to make money. I'm just offering a perspective that while Disney is making 2-3 Billion on this movie, that money is being sucked out of other projects.Not everyone can afford to watch all 3 movies, or watch 4 since many will watch this one twice.

The only solution is for other superhero projects to avoid direct competition with Marvel, which has rarely been the case & has certainly cost them much needed revenue. If they really want to complete, they need 2 months before/after a Marvel film comes out to generate more revenue from the superhero fan base. If Captain Marvel & Wonder Woman came out 4 weeks apart, I’m sure it would have caused a split in revenue. 

In fact, I believe Disney has hurt some of their own films by playing them too close to the superhero genre. Not sure where Aladdin or Toy Story 4 will land between Endgame, Dark Phoenix, Men in Black International & Spider-Man. 

Edited by chezmtghut