• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

The more I try to figure out the time travel elements of the film the more it seems to unravel.  This is why I grew to hate time travel movies over the years...stories and plot elements tend to fall apart when you use it to drive a story.

Agree with this 3000%

6 hours ago, paperheart said:

re: box office, this is the only question that remains

I keep hoping a Marvel film will topple Avatar as the top grossing film of all time.  Honestly, Avatar is such an unoriginal story and unworthy holder of the crown.  Literally on par with the travesty that is Shakespeare in Love beating out Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture.

5 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

Marvel films generally make 2.4+ x opening weekend, bringing it’s total box office to 2.9+ billion. I also expect domestic #’s will go up another 5+ million by tomorrow. 

How can Disney say no to Feige making another 2 part Avengers film at the end of phase 6? In fact, I’d think they would ask him to prepare a similar outline for the next 10 years of Marvel films. 

I think Feige already said there are no plans to do a story of this magnitude for a while.  It takes A LOT of effort to put something like this together.

I just came back from my 2nd viewing and have an additional thought below:

Spoiler

Pretty much felt the same coming out of the theater the 2nd time as I did the first time.  First 2/3s are slow, last 1/3 is fantastic.  Pace/Tone are completely opposite from Infinity War such that it feels like it's two different directing teams that made the two movies.  The movie is basically one big "thank you" to the fans who have watched the past 10+ years.

That said, I am really REALLY bothered by Captain Marvels power levels.  Between her own movie and the events here, she's just waaaay too powerful.  Like soaking up the entire ships firepower, shredding through it like paper, shrugging off Thanos' headbutt, and bending back his fingers (when he has the gauntlet on), that's way more than the Hulk did.  Heck, in the comics, even Silver Surfer tends to lose to Thanos in hand to hand combat.  So I'm supposed to believe that Carol is stronger than all these guys?  She's supposed to be a step below Thor/Hulk in terms of strength.  Heck, in Hickman's run, Carol crashes into Hulk and starts punching him.  When she stops, he's just chilling like he's on a beach and then proceeds to smash her out of Earth's atmosphere.  The way she is now, she can solo anything and everything.  To be honest, it feels like one of the greatest failings of the MCU.

Joe and Anthony Russo, who helmed the Marvel blockbuster, are the first directors to earn over $1 billion at the worldwide box office with three different films. A look at Box Office Mojo reveals that with Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Infinity War, and now Endgame, the Russos have now entered the Billion Dollar Club three times.

Several directors had previously had the honor of making over a billion twice at the box office, including:

• James Cameron (Titanic and Avatar)
  • Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises)
  • Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey)
  • Michael Bay (Transformers: Dark of the Moon and Transformers: Age of Extinction)
  • James Wan (Furious 7 and Aquaman).

This milestone for the Russos is certainly no small feat, and arguably ends a pretty bittersweet endcap to their time in the Marvel Cinematic Universe for now.

"I think that, you know, we're going to take a little bit of a break," Joe told ComicBook.com. "We love Marvel. I mean, we're very close with Kevin [Feige] and Lou [DeEsposito] and Victoria [Alonso] and Trin [Tranh], who's produced the last two movies with us and eight more. I mean, it's really like family for us there. But, you know, we've done four movies in six and a half years so we're going to take a little bit of a vacation, but we'll be, we'll be back in a heartbeat."

7 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Joe and Anthony Russo, who helmed the Marvel blockbuster, are the first directors to earn over $1 billion at the worldwide box office with three different films. A look at Box Office Mojo reveals that with Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Infinity War, and now Endgame, the Russos have now entered the Billion Dollar Tres Commas Club three times.

Several directors had previously had the honor of making over a billion twice at the box office, including:

• James Cameron (Titanic and Avatar)
  • Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises)
  • Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey)
  • Michael Bay (Transformers: Dark of the Moon and Transformers: Age of Extinction)
  • James Wan (Furious 7 and Aquaman).

This milestone for the Russos is certainly no small feat, and arguably ends a pretty bittersweet endcap to their time in the Marvel Cinematic Universe for now.

"I think that, you know, we're going to take a little bit of a break," Joe told ComicBook.com. "We love Marvel. I mean, we're very close with Kevin [Feige] and Lou [DeEsposito] and Victoria [Alonso] and Trin [Tranh], who's produced the last two movies with us and eight more. I mean, it's really like family for us there. But, you know, we've done four movies in six and a half years so we're going to take a little bit of a vacation, but we'll be, we'll be back in a heartbeat."

Edited for correctness.  :roflmao:

(It's a Silicon Valley reference for anyone who doesn't watch that show)

20 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

So I'm supposed to believe that Carol is stronger than all these guys?

I wondered that in the moment she was pulling on his hand.  I was wondering if she was pumping plasma into him--or whatever the glowy stuff around her is--and that severely weakened him.

Got Back. Good -- Yes. Mind blowing, no. First half almost boring. I understand the intention, but see the saga as struggling to find it's proper genre -- should be more action, less drama.

Great ending and some nice cameos. Audience clapped at the end.

… moved to spoilers thread.

Edited by bronze_rules

Just got back from seeing it again and taking the wife and kids, even better the second time. Still sold out shows and the parking lot was packed. We tried going to the 1:00 and 2:00 PM showings both sold out so had to settle for a 3:30 I think this is passing Force Awakens domestic hopefully Avatar worldwide :wishluck:

Glad I got to see this movie on Sat. I thought the first portion was a little boring talking about how to avenge the faller but the last portion was stellar. I hope it shatters Avatars record. 

14 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

So it needs a 2.323 multiplier to beat Avatar in WW box office?  Seems doable.  What's the lowest multiplier a MCU movie has had?

The Hollywood Reporter posted a piece on its potential to topple Avatar. Worth reading.
Box Office: Can 'Avengers: Endgame' Topple 'Avatar's' $2.8 Billion All-Time Record?

The looming question now: Does the Disney and Marvel superhero pic have a shot at dethroning Avatar's $2.78 billion and becoming the top-grossing movie of all time worldwide? Box office analysts say that would be a tough feat, but they aren't ruling anything out after Endgame opened to a record-shattering $1.2 billion globally, including an unheard-of $350 million in North America and $859 million overseas. The international tally includes an all-time high of $330.5 million in China.

"Knocking Avatar off its perch atop the box office mountain has been attempted by many films. No movie as of yet has been able to reach the heights attained by that box office juggernaut almost a decade ago," say Paul Dergarabedian of Comscore.

"However, lest anyone think this is an easy road even that Endgame defied box office gravity, pushing past $2 billion is like running the three-minute mile or breaking the sound barrier. Getting in the extra $800 million over the $2 billion it's guaranteed to make will take a superhero-like effort considering the competition on the horizon," Dergarabedian says.

He and other analysts, however, are far comfortable predicting that Endgame could pass up Titanic to become the No. 2 film globally with $2.3 billion to $2.5 million.

Avatar, Titanic ($2.19 billion) and Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($2.07 billion) all opened in December, and were able to hang onto theaters well into the new year. In late April 2018, Avengers: Infinity War — which debuted to a then-record $257.7 million in North America and $640 million globally — topped out at $2.06 billion.

Like Infinity War did, Avengers: Endgame kicks off the summer box office, a far more crowded frame.

Edited by Bosco685

Also from that THR article, the Domestic total and the superhero films that have excelled in this category.

Domestically, Endgame is expected to sail past $750 million by the end of its run, if not more. The top earners to date in North America are Force Awakens ($936.7 million), Avatar ($760.5 million), Black Panther ($700.1 million) and Infinity War ($678.8 million) and Titanic ($659.4 million), not adjusted.

Amazing how comic book movies over the years have dominated the Domestic total list.