• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

SPOILERS IN THIS ONE. So be careful if you want to avoid such details before seeing Endgame (those few :nyah: ).

Did Avengers: Endgame introduce the MCU's next big villain?

As fans frantically searched for clues of who (or what) is coming in Phase 4, the Russos might have hidden the franchise's next big bad right in front of everyone's eyes.

Spoiler

While Sam Wilson looks set to be the next Captain America, Thor will join the Guardians of the Galaxy, and Steve Rogers could have just opened up the Marvel Multiverse, one of Endgame's seemingly throwaway lines might have teased the arrival of Namor the Sub-Mariner.

As Carol Danvers watched from afar, Danai Gurira's Okoye mentioned an underwater earthquake off the coast of Africa. Although Black Widow wanted to know how Wakanda planned on tackling this strange phenomenon, Okoye explained that they were simply going to leave it alone.

It's also important to remember the conversation that comes directly after Okoye's tease is between Cap and Romanoff discussing whales in the Hudson River. Two nautical references straight after each other seems a little too convenient – knowing how the MCU likes to weave upcoming stories into its complex scripts, there could be more to the story.

With Namor's debut in 1939, he's widely regarded as 'Marvel's first mutant', again giving a segue for the MCU to introduce the X-Men to its expanding roster. Elsewhere, Namor's varied past has seen him serve in teams including the Defenders and the Avengers, while also being an occasional enemy to the likes of the Fantastic Four.

This might not even be the first reference to Namor in the MCU. Way back in Jon Favreau's Iron Man 2, there seemed to be a subtle reference to the Sub-Mariner.

When Nick Fury met with Tony Stark to discuss his place on the Avengers, Fury was surveying a large SHIELD map that marked several points of interest the shady organisation was monitoring. Since 2010, fans have theorised that the marker in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean was a nod to Namor's underwater kingdom, Atlantis.

:wishluck:

10 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

that would make me a very happy geek.

After putting those two movie scenes together, it has to be a thing going on behind the scenes with the MCU. Just being handled wisely while working out the distribution rights details.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

After putting those two movie scenes together, it has to be a thing going on behind the scenes with the MCU. Just being handled wisely while working out the distribution rights details.

Spoiler

way back when, the previews to cap 1 had an underwater scene where that baddie was trying to get out of n.y. in a mini-sub, when something swims up---turns out is was steve, but we timely geeks had high hopes it was namor.

Edited by Straw-Man

It's a goofy little detail. But it goes to show much effort goes into maintaining details across these films that otherwise would be forgotten.

While they're discussing the Power Stone on Morag, the Hulk (Bruce Banner) can be seen eating some Hunka-Hulka Burnin' Fudge ice cream from Ben and Jerry's. If you think back to Infinity War, Wong (Benedict Wong) and Dr. Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) reveal the Hulk-themed ice cream is their favorite cold treat, in passing during a discussion in the Sanctum Sanctorum.

Who keeps the playbook going which houses all these film details? They deserve a Oscar just for this.

'Excuse me, but please don't forget the Hunka-Hulka Burnin' ice cream in this scene'. :nyah:

8 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

The Rock mentioned something I've been particularly impressed with and that's the marketing decision to only run out the survivors of the snap on the press tour.  I mean, we all knew that these characters would come back somehow, but for Marvel/Disney to be like nope "they're dead" and to only have RDJ, Evans, Hemsworth, ScarJo, etc doing press was greatly appreciated to maintain that aura of foreboding.  And for the actors to buy in to it, like with Boseman's interview where he sidesteps the questions and is just like "I'm dead."

8 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

The Rock mentioned something I've been particularly impressed with and that's the marketing decision to only run out the survivors of the snap on the press tour.  I mean, we all knew that these characters would come back somehow, but for Marvel/Disney to be like nope "they're dead" and to only have RDJ, Evans, Hemsworth, ScarJo, etc doing press was greatly appreciated to maintain that aura of foreboding.  And for the actors to buy in to it, like with Boseman's interview where he sidesteps the questions and is just like "I'm dead."

Right? And when Disney setup those press interviews with the remaining cast, and had empty seats for those that had been impacted by The Decimation. With their names shown on the empty seats. That takes some real dedication to use this to your advantage, along with holding back all that star power to drive home the point.

22 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It's a goofy little detail. But it goes to show much effort goes into maintaining details across these films that otherwise would be forgotten.

Who keeps the playbook going which houses all these film details? They deserve a Oscar just for this.

'Excuse me, but please don't forget the Hunka-Hulka Burnin' ice cream in this scene'. :nyah:

I wonder who got dusted in the snap, Ben or Jerry? Both?