• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Mendelson being pessimistic or not, the massive growth breaking multiple records makes me feel like you can't even apply normal analysis to Endgame.

I think you can look at last years Infinity War for comparative purposes on how other films will impact Endgame.  Deadpool2 released two weeks after Infinity War and I don't think the financial impact was all that bad.

19 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I think you can look at last years Infinity War for comparative purposes on how other films will impact Endgame.  Deadpool2 released two weeks after Infinity War and I don't think the financial impact was all that bad.

Good point, but there is quite a few films coming out against Endgame in comparison. Regardless, it made $300 overseas + $58 in China Friday - Sunday. Should bring in another $110 - $130 domestic + $180 - $220 overseas Monday - Sunday & pass Avatar within 6 - 10 weeks. Might not pass 3 billion though, as China's run seems to be finishing closer to $600 rather than $650 - $700.

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Wild that almost the entire list is from the last five years.  I guess China's economy really has blossomed over the last decade.

I think that part of it is longevity, too. I don't think movies stayed in theaters long over there. Before a few years ago they would pull a film out of theaters after 3-4 weeks. That's what I've heard from many people who visit China, though. I could be wrong about that.

32 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Wild that almost the entire list is from the last five years.  I guess China's economy really has blossomed over the last decade.

That's why I follow Gavin Feng, China Box Office and Luiz Fernando as they provide overall China tracking. Especially in comparing to other top box office films from the region.

"The Wandering Earth" sounds awesome--a future version of Earth's sun is dying, so they try to move Earth to Alpha Centauri.  Wonder if it's cheesy by our standards?  Never seen a Chinese movie.

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

"The Wandering Earth" sounds awesome--a future version of Earth's sun is dying, so they try to move Earth to Alpha Centauri.  Wonder if it's cheesy by our standards?  Never seen a Chinese movie.

That and Wolf Warrior I want to give a try. They seem to rave over the two, which are also fairly recent.

Wanderingearth01.PNG.a6b0328235510d72dbc251ae6003ba0e.PNG

It is odd when you read posts of people talking about the MCU must take down James Cameron because he disrespected superhero movies and specifically Marvel movies. Then you read what he originally said.

James Cameron Slammed Online for ‘Avengers’ Criticism, but Marvel’s Kevin Feige Is Staying Positive About It

“I’m hoping we’ll start getting ‘Avenger’ fatigue here pretty soon,” Cameron said. “Not that I don’t love the movies. It’s just, come on guys, there are other stories to tell besides hyper-gonadal males without families doing death-defying things for two hours and wrecking cities in the process. It’s like, oy!”

He actually admits he enjoys the movies. He just would like to see new stories told that can stand on their own.

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It is odd when you read posts of people talking about the MCU must take down James Cameron because he disrespected superhero movies and specifically Marvel movies. Then you read what he originally said.

James Cameron Slammed Online for ‘Avengers’ Criticism, but Marvel’s Kevin Feige Is Staying Positive About It

He actually admits he enjoys the movies. He just would like to see new stories told that can stand on their own.

How can Cameron say that about Marvel when his biggest movie is about humans invading another planet for their natural resources? Maybe he's just worried his new projects will take a back seat to the Superhero genre without Avengers fatigue setting in.(shrug)

Not to worry, the hyper-gonadal females are stepping in.

Edited by chezmtghut

2 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

How can Cameron say that about Marvel when his biggest movie is about humans invading another planet for their natural resources? Maybe he's just worried his new projects will take a back seat to the Superhero genre without Avengers fatigue setting in.(shrug)

Take off the Marvel glasses, and think it through (I read your Flash post in the other thread - always a competition).

He must not be seeing it as a competition if he even admits he likes the films. From that comment, he is suggesting to focus on fresh stories versus targeting one movie having to help build out the next story. Sometimes at the sacrifice of the movie you seeing finally becoming clear.

I love these movies too. But can step back and appreciate the comment intent without it becoming a genre attack.