• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, paperheart said:

$2.503BB, $285MM to Avatar; huge #'s but not showing much in the way of legs, US Monday down 56%

Just got home from seeing it again. I find that I've enjoyed it more, every time I watch this film. Doesn't look like it will reach Avatar at this rate though, but should make it close. Infinity War made another 126 million domestically after day 18 but Endgame's #'s seem to be sinking like the Titanic. It's doing as well as Infinity War did on week 3, so anything is possible. It needs a few strong weeks ahead though & a big Memorial Day weekend.

14 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

The biggest farce in the last few decades of Oscar Best Picture nominations and wins was Return of the King.  Which is a film I love and revere...it just didn't deserve an Oscar nod, much less a win.  Reviewers gave the award to Peter Jackson as some sort of a bizarre misplaced achievement award for the influence of Tolkien's work on Western culture more than Jackson's.  In retrospect of how Jackson's treatment didn't translate as well to the Hobbit, has ANY Best Picture win ever held up more poorly than Return of the King?  It was puzzling at the time, and it's no less so today, but there's undoubtedly a ton of voter's remorse over that film now.  I love all those films, Hobbit trilogy included, but they're all pure entertainment unworthy of Oscar consideration.

And Endgame is no Return of the King.  It has no chance at the primo Oscar categories.

Biggest farce in the last few decades?  Not hardly.   Actually this is one they got right and the movie has aged quite well.  Somehow professional Hollywood movie critics have us convinced that a great movie has to be slow paced with little to no action and have some great meaningful dialogue between 2 characters for it to be a Best Picture. Bull .  I like the King's Speech.  Wonderful movie with superb acting but better than Inception?  No way.  American Beauty over the Sixth Sense?  Please.  

ROTK combines action, scenery, costuming, good acting and superb writing to produce an entertaining movie that satisfies all age groups, male and female.  I'll the buy into the position that it winning Best Picture may have been a nod to the trilogy as a whole, but even with that, this movie stands up to scrutiny.  Don't sell this movie short because you like it.  It's very worth being a Best Picture and for the right reasons.  

16 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

Just got home from seeing it again. I find that I've enjoyed it more, every time I watch this film. Doesn't look like it will reach Avatar at this rate though, but should make it close. Infinity War made another 126 million domestically after day 18 but Endgame's #'s seem to be sinking like the Titanic. It's doing as well as Infinity War did on week 3, so anything is possible. It needs a few strong weeks ahead though & a big Memorial Day weekend.

day 19: $5.7 Endgame vs $6MM IW; still gigantic #'s but will end w/ 2nd worst multiple of opening weekend for MCU

11 hours ago, 40sJohn said:

Biggest farce in the last few decades?  Not hardly.   Actually this is one they got right and the movie has aged quite well.  Somehow professional Hollywood movie critics have us convinced that a great movie has to be slow paced with little to no action and have some great meaningful dialogue between 2 characters for it to be a Best Picture. Bull .  I like the King's Speech.  Wonderful movie with superb acting but better than Inception?  No way.  American Beauty over the Sixth Sense?  Please.  

ROTK combines action, scenery, costuming, good acting and superb writing to produce an entertaining movie that satisfies all age groups, male and female.  I'll the buy into the position that it winning Best Picture may have been a nod to the trilogy as a whole, but even with that, this movie stands up to scrutiny.  Don't sell this movie short because you like it.  It's very worth being a Best Picture and for the right reasons.  

Many years ago my wife and I decided we would try and watch all the Oscar nominated best pictures ( at the time it was only 5).  We did this for 2 maybe 3 years.  We then came to the realization that in our opinion most of the nominees were pretentious, slow, and boring.  It was more about the critics claiming they had better taste than the common folk, and that regular people generally could not appreciate great cinema.

Now we watch what we like.   Most of the time that is escapist big budget Superhero movies, or Pixar animated stuff, but we love it and it makes us happy. Slogging through a supposedly meaningful, life changing tear jerker is depressing. Life can be depressing enough, I want the escapism.  In general screw the academy. 

5 hours ago, drotto said:

Many years ago my wife and I decided we would try and watch all the Oscar nominated best pictures ( at the time it was only 5).  We did this for 2 maybe 3 years.  We then came to the realization that in our opinion most of the nominees were pretentious, slow, and boring.  It was more about the critics claiming they had better taste than the common folk, and that regular people generally could not appreciate great cinema.

Now we watch what we like.   Most of the time that is escapist big budget Superhero movies, or Pixar animated stuff, but we love it and it makes us happy. Slogging through a supposedly meaningful, life changing tear jerker is depressing. Life can be depressing enough, I want the escapism.  In general screw the academy. 

Yeah it's always a thought I have at Oscar time to watch the nominated movies,  then I remember these are the movies voted by the people that voted Driving Miss Daisy as Best Picture.  Talk about a movie that no one cares to watch again.  Sheesh.  You are dead on about the critics, there is a certain snobbery that they have to uphold.  And, I'm with you, I'll take the escapism every time.  

23 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

What am I looking at?  Is it going to beat Avatar or not?

***I'm a simple man lol

:insane:

You're not simple. It's just not your thing. The bottom difference numbers are how far off Endgame is from Avatar

avengers01.thumb.PNG.7a3299fca12a3a4c2ff24ac272943b6c.PNG

Though you could go with @TwoPiece and just wing it out of dislike for a film.

:baiting:

emotion02.gif.6be3e5bf8822a9c5e3bb108bebf9d0f2.gif

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

:insane:

You're not simple. It's just not your thing. The bottom difference numbers are how far off Endgame is from Avatar

avengers01.thumb.PNG.7a3299fca12a3a4c2ff24ac272943b6c.PNG

Though you could go with @TwoPiece and just wing it out of dislike for a film.

:baiting:

emotion02.gif.6be3e5bf8822a9c5e3bb108bebf9d0f2.gif

I'd "wing it" regardless of what film it's surpassing. lol

I don't straight-dislike Avatar. It's really just inconsequential. Nothing to like. Nothing to hate.

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I'd "wing it" regardless of what film it's surpassing. lol

I don't straight-dislike Avatar. It's really just inconsequential. Nothing to like. Nothing to hate.

:roflmao:

AVATAR01.PNG.bea27df8176c13d3eddde16b8efc976c.PNG

10 minutes ago, OrangeNemesis said:

Didn't it take Avatar like 9 months to reach that number though?

You could be right.

Avatar opening weekend (Domestic): 12/18/09

Crossed $2B worldwide: 9/8/10 (Week 38)

'Avatar' Hits Milestone

So it definitely went beyond Week 38 to achieve that final number. A much longer run to get that worldwide massive total.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You could be right.

'Avatar' Hits Milestone

So it definitely went beyond Week 38 to achieve that final number. A much longer run to get that worldwide massive total.

theres no way endgame gets the same time frame of a theatrical run that Avatar got, but with that said...If it did there is no doubt it would beat it.

1 minute ago, OrangeNemesis said:

theres no way endgame gets the same time frame of a theatrical run that Avatar got, but with that said...If it did there is no doubt it would beat it.

You better believe it.

There would be Marvel 'get out the bucks' parties to ensure they helped take down Avatar as Disney cheered them on, counting the money.

emotion03.gif.026176f39d0d470fb2caee0d4bc21410.gif

24 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:
38 minutes ago, OrangeNemesis said:

Didn't it take Avatar like 9 months to reach that number though?

You could be right.

Titanic was the same, its pace was FAR slower than Endgame but steady, it was out at LEAST 9 months, maybe more.