• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

As Avengers: Endgame continues its massive cool-down, it doesn't look like it will be getting much more help from the biggest foreign box office market. Recent reports suggest that China has decided to not extend the film's theatrical release in the country, meaning Endgame will stop showing as soon as next week.

Though extensions are somewhat uncommon at the Chinese box office, it's a peculiar choice given the current trade war raging between the country and the United States. To date, the Oval Office has imposed tariffs on over $250 billion worth of Chinese goods while China has since retaliated by placing tariffs on $110b worth of imports from the United States. The decision looks even more strange after realizing that Avengers: Infinity War was granted a 30-day extension.

On 5/17/2019 at 12:14 AM, Xenosmilus said:

I hate to say it but I’m going through some withdrawal from the Endgame hype LOL. I miss the the speculations and theories which was as much fun as the movie!

I am as well. Next up I guess is Godzilla King of the Monsters that might help with the withdrawal.

:wishluck:

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I think they extended Infinity War because the Chinese government identifies with it’s message of population control. I honestly never expected the same for Endgame, which essentially deals with killing the enforcer of said population control & reversing it. I really doubt it has anything to do with the trade war. 

2 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

I think they extended Infinity War because the Chinese government identifies with it’s message of population control. I honestly never expected the same for Endgame, which essentially deals with killing the enforcer of said population control & reversing it. I really doubt it has anything to do with the trade war. 

That was noted somewhere, or just assumed?

30 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

27 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That was noted somewhere, or just assumed?

It’s my own opinion, since population control is an idea the Chinese have engrained in their current society. They have raised there 1 child per couple limit to 2 because of the aging population but impose heavy taxes to discourage further pregnancies. Other countries offer child welfare to encourage births.

Do you know of any list of import films that have been granted extensions like Infinity War?

Edited by chezmtghut

4 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

It’s my own opinion, since population control is an idea the Chinese have engrained in their current society. They have raised there 1 child per couple limit to 2 because of the aging population but impose heavy taxes to discourage further pregnancies. Other countries offer child welfare to encourage births.

I think it really comes down to China has come to love these MCU films, though Black Panther results were lower than even Ant-Man. Remember, with Iron Man 3 the MCU worked with a local marketing firm to shoot extra footage so as to appeal to the Chinese movie-goers. The film ended up with bigger numbers even than Avengers (2012).

China Box Office

Avengers (2012): $86,300,000

Iron Man 3: $121,200,000

I THINK that brought a massive amount of good will a major studio had made the effort.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I think it really comes down to China has come to love these MCU films, though Black Panther results were lower than even Ant-Man. Remember, with Iron Man 3 the MCU worked with a local marketing firm to shoot extra footage so as to appeal to the Chinese movie-goers. The film ended up with bigger numbers even than Avengers (2012).

China Box Office

Avengers (2012): $86,300,000

Iron Man 3: $121,200,000

I THINK that brought a massive amount of good will a major studio had made the effort.

Did the extra footage shot for Iron Man 3 extend the films screen time in China? I don’t think you can equate good box office or good will to the extension as they haven’t offered it to any other MCU film I’m aware of. Do you know of any list of import films that have been granted extensions like Infinity War?

11 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Did the extra footage shot for Iron Man 3 extend the films screen time in China? I don’t think you can equate good box office or good will to the extension as they haven’t offered it to any other MCU film I’m aware of. Do you know of any list of import films that have been granted extensions like Infinity War?

I'll have to check if it extended out the time. By working with a Chinese company specializing in local box office films, the MCU was able to appeal to that region to the tune of $34.9M over a massive team movie.

Marvel Will Release Two Different Versions Of 'Iron Man 3'

CHINA TO GET ITS OWN SPECIAL VERSION OF IRON MAN 3

Plus, it probably made them feel appreciated a major studio had gone out of its way to do this. And rather than assuming what would work for them, working with that Chinese company.

Iron Man 3 execs 'changed film for Chinese audience' by adding four minutes to the film with Chinese actors

It added 4 extra minutes to the film using recognized major Chinese actors in the role.

Edited by Bosco685
Chinese version screen time

One of the key reasons to get Perlmutter out of the way so Feige had production freedom were those much lower budgets. So to make a multi-billion dollar production, you have to spend the money.

How much is still interesting.

Is ‘Avengers: Endgame’ the Most Expensive Movie Ever Made?

We’ve seen conflicting reports regarding the actual budget of the most recent Avengers films, which were shot back-to-back in order to maximize the studio’s resources. Dan Cathy, co-owner of Pinewood Studios in Atlanta, where some of the movie’s production took place, claimed the combined budgets of both films totaled $1 billion, though Marvel chief Kevin Feige later said that was inaccurate. Shortly after Infinity War‘s release, The Wall Street Journal said it carried a budget “close to $300 million.” In December, Fortune reported that Infinity War cost $400 million and that Endgame is “expected to have a similarly sizeable budget.” Deadline estimates that, including advertising, Infinity War was a $475 million endeavor for Disney. For what it’s worth, it isn’t unusual for a studio to publicly downplay its production budgets.

According to Box Office Mojo, 2012’s The Avengers carried a production budget of $220 million, while 2015’s Avengers: Age of Ultron cost $250 million, though there is some debate over those figures. In an interview with Victoria Alonso, executive vice president of physical production for Marvel Studios, The Hollywood Reporter placed Ultron‘s budget at “upwards of $300 million,” but Deadline pegged it at $316 million.

With stars like Robert Downey Jr. taking in roughly $200 million for Infinity War and Endgame (thanks to a healthy percentage of the grosses) and a reported $400 million going to the screenwriter, directors, producers and principal actors, a budget between hovering around $400 million or more sounds about right.

So would that make Endgame the most expensive film of all time (not accounting for inflation)? Well, that depends on what sources you’re using.

28 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

DC_MCU_BO190519a.thumb.PNG.6cb022fadbeaca13d1873223e736727c.PNG

IF it can continue to match IW from here to the finish in US, that's $83MM.  That leaves $90MM more int'l after a $47MM weekend, $8MM of which was China (which only has a couple more days).  Disney may be able to drag it over the line but it's going to be close.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

hm I wonder if the International weekend of 46.8M includes Thursday, because BOM has it at $1,793,400,000 as of Wednesday. That would mean it was more like 40M or less from Fri - Sun, down another 60% from nearly 100M last weekend. Down to nearly 70M this past week from around 200M last week. So probably another 25M - 30M Internationally by next Sunday at this pace. Should be another 30M domestic with Victoria Day tomorrow & Memorial day on the 27th, so roughly 2.67B worldwide by then. It's going to be very close to Avatar but won't pass it. It would need very small drops over the next few weeks worldwide, which seems unlikely at this point.