• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Supposedly Disney committed to a salary if a sequel occurred, and then when it realized RDJ had nailed the main role wanted its funds pooled to him. That's why TH's salary went from $4.5M in Iron Man (2008) to now $1M in Iron Man 2.

I sure wouldn't want LESS money in a sequel if the first film was a huge hit.

Fair enough. But if he didn't want to do the gig for $1M, and he obviously wasn't contractually entitled to the $4.5M (otherwise I'm sure he would have got it), then what's there to complain about? RDJ dwarfed TH's performance... Maybe I'm being too harsh...

2 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Fair enough. But if he didn't want to do the gig for $1M, and he obviously wasn't contractually entitled to the $4.5M (otherwise I'm sure he would have got it), then what's there to complain about? RDJ dwarfed TH's performance... Maybe I'm being too harsh...

You are just stating an opinion. I respect that. :foryou:

But if Disney used his up-and-coming star power to help boost the first film, to then pull back on his salary by over 3/4 of what he made in the first film would sure send a signal.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Cheadle has been an excellent replacement, though. The fans won.

I disagree, I prefer TH in the role and don't think Cheadle has the same chemistry with RDJ that TH did. 

Just now, bane said:

I disagree, I prefer TH in the role and don't think Cheadle has the same chemistry with RDJ that TH did. 

We are on opposite sides of the spectrum.

I liked Howard's character more, because he was more of a friend to Tony in Iron Man. Cheadle's Rhodey seems to be more service-aligned. I prefer Cheadle's performances, though.

If TH was promised an extra 5M for IM2 & got 3.5M cut instead, I don’t think anyone can put the blame on him. If he didn’t go to court with Disney over this, I guess there was no contract stipulating those #’s for IM2. They didn’t even own Marvel when IM came out, but I am curious. He should have taken the cut though, considering what he would have made down the line. I’m sure RDJ could have helped by saying he would walk away unless TH was paid what they promised, but I guess he didn’t want to rock the boat after receiving a huge bump in pay. 

One thing about TH, is that he also had several allegations of violence and abuse at this point, and he was known to be "off," and of course, right after Iron Man 2, more and worse allegations came out against him concerning abusing his wife. We know they're mostly, if not all, true, because he's admitted to most of it. I'm sure that played a role in it, but if not, replacing him with Cheadle has become one of those "we got lucky there" moments for Marvel.

15 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Looks like Endgame had a really good Victoria Day with 3.16M, which is 450k above what Infinity War did. Seems like a more descent drop International at 4M than I expected also. 

750FB51B-AE22-4867-8E28-25C13308C062.jpeg

33% drop from last Monday, the first sign of legs or an anomaly?

It was a Holiday in Canada that gave it the boost. Will be the same next Monday in the US for Memorial Day. 

14 minutes ago, paperheart said:

33% drop from last Monday, the first sign of legs or an anomaly?

8 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

Completely anecdotal, but I've had a couple different people this week on Facebook mention that they are just now going to see Endgame in the theaters this week for the first time. 

Edited by chezmtghut

6 hours ago, marvelcollector said:

He's the better actor IMO.

Never could see what people see in Howard.

I find Cheadle too bland in the role, TH had better chemistry with RDJ... IMO.

12 hours ago, marvelcollector said:

He's the better actor IMO.

Never could see what people see in Howard.

Totally agree with this.  Speakly strictly as an actor for War Machine, Cheadle's performance is calculated, more to the actual character let's say.  Howard seemed to take it in stride, not committing maximum effort, when realistically the Avengers movies are massive spectacles; not funnyordie.com shorts.  Just my 2c

48 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

when realistically the Avengers movies are massive spectacles; not funnyordie.com shorts.  Just my 2c

With the exception of Infinity War the Avengers movie have been chock full of jokes & humour, massive spectacle aside, I don't see why TH wouldn't have fitted right in. 

I'm going to tag this for being a major spoiler.

Spoiler

Apparently Tony Stark's snap of the Nano Gauntlet sent all of the 2014 characters back to the correct timeline without future memory, including Gamora, which clips that branch in time.

Allegedly, there is only one alternate reality, where Loki escapes Avengers Tower with the Tesseract and Cap fulfills his fantasy life with Peggy Carter.

I don't think any of this is confirmed by the Russo Bros. (could be, haven't checked) but it makes a lot of logical sense.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

I'm going to tag this for being a major spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

Apparently Tony Stark's snap of the Nano Gauntlet sent all of the 2014 characters back to the correct timeline without future memory, including Gamora, which clips that branch in time.

Allegedly, there is only one alternate reality, where Loki escapes Avengers Tower with the Tesseract and Cap fulfills his fantasy life with Peggy Carter.

I don't think any of this is confirmed by the Russo Bros. (could be, haven't checked) but it makes a lot of logical sense.

Has this been rumored?  I assumed when Tony snapped the Stark gauntlet, all the bad guys just went into the soul world like the first snap and are not dead but trapped.