• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Okoye has a better haircut than Captain Marvel.

< $100,000,000 to go. Is it going to pass Avatar before it leaves theaters? It's only been out 6 weeks.

All signs point to 'YES', though anything can happen at this point. But since Disney sees it as being so close, I can't see it allowing Endgame to be pulled back from its current wide count of theaters much (3,810 domestic) to risk not passing it up. Now what that means for the future Avatar films in serving as sequels to such a massive film, I just can't see any of them achieving that same level of success. But who knows, other than James Cameron and his crew?

OKEA01.PNG.cc04a6783a4de9069d5a8c1f60b68d88.PNG

34 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

All signs point to 'YES', though anything can happen at this point. But since Disney sees it as being so close, I can't see it allowing Endgame to be pulled back from its current wide count of theaters much (3,810 domestic) to risk not passing it up. Now what that means for the future Avatar films in serving as sequels to such a massive film, I just can't see any of them achieving that same level of success. But who knows, other than James Cameron and his crew?

OKEA01.PNG.cc04a6783a4de9069d5a8c1f60b68d88.PNG

With the lower price of 3D tickets (compared back to 2009), if Endgame manages to pass it, I doubt any of the sequels will.

One thing that has puzzled me regarding the whole Thanos snap thing.  
If Thanos' goal was to erase half of living things due to over-population putting a strain on resources, then he erased 50% of all organic resources as well.  Might be fine for the remaining vegetable life, which doesn't directly rely on other organic life for food.  But the universe's animal life was left with the same ratio of living beings to food sources, so what did he accomplish?  (Other than a pretty great set of movies).  

Maybe Thanos wasn't focused on food, but resources such as land and raw materials?  Still, I didn't get that impression.  Mebbe it's me.

Edited by Unca Ben

2 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

One thing that has puzzled me regarding the whole Thanos snap thing.  
If Thanos' goal was to erase half of living things due to over-population putting a strain on resources, then he erased 50% of all organic resources as well.  Might be fine for vegetable life, which doesn't directly rely on other organic life for food.  But the universe's animal life was left with the same ratio of living beings to food sources, so what did he accomplish?  (Other than a pretty great set of movies).  

Maybe Thanos wasn't focused on food, but resources such as land and raw materials?  Still, I didn't get that impression.  Mebbe it's me.

"Too many mouths - not enough to go around."

His MCU premise is better than Infinity Gauntlet's. They didn't have a lot to work with there.

Most villains' plans aren't ironclad. It's why we relate to heroes more - because we want to be heroes and we want to be logical. Villains are typically insane, or insanely motivated. In Thanos' case, he thinks he's right because his idea wasn't tested on Titan and it became a wasteland. He thinks that by eliminating half of sentient life, they'll expand less, and the natural resources will last longer and be cared for better.

He also thinks it's his destiny to 'correct' the universe. After he was done, he didn't care about the lives left. He went to The Garden to live out his lonely death. Not a benevolent task.

People IRL murder for religion all the time. Thanos mass-murdered for what he believes is right. It's realistic regardless of how insane it may seem from an outside perspective.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

"Too many mouths - not enough to go around."

His MCU premise is better than Infinity Gauntlet's. They didn't have a lot to work with there.

Most villains' plans aren't ironclad. It's why we relate to heroes more - because we want to be heroes and we want to be logical. Villains are typically insane, or insanely motivated. In Thanos' case, he thinks he's right because his idea wasn't tested on Titan and it became a wasteland. He thinks that by eliminating half of sentient life, they'll expand less, and the natural resources will last longer and be cared for better.

He also thinks it's his destiny to 'correct' the universe. After he was done, he didn't care about the lives left. He went to The Garden to live out his lonely death. Not a benevolent task.

People IRL murder for religion all the time. Thanos mass-murdered for what he believes is right. It's realistic regardless of how insane it may seem from an outside perspective.

Yeah, I guess that's it.  But if natural resources include forests, both those on land and in the sea, then he wiped out 50% of an important part.
I wasn't 100% sure what the snap did when I first saw it.  Only 50% of human-like life?  I didn't see any animals disappear and I didn't notice any tress or plants going away, either.  I might'a missed it.
Then I read that the last movie did show birds and trees (a tree?) reappearing, so that meant 50% of all living things went away.  I missed that.

So then I wondered if that included all coral, and bacteria, and plankton, and what would all that mean?
Then I reminded myself I'm pondering a comic-book movie instead of going along for the ride.  And a great one, it was,

As of Day 34, Endgame has done $1,288,624 domestic, which is $175,902 behind Infinity War on the same day.

DC_MCU_BO190530b.PNG.baa1e0909378dc890b83fa12e38e59d4.PNG

DC_MCU_BO190530a.PNG.92e35eb6fa17ea2f44a66b79c907546b.PNG

Until any international box office updates, currently $98M from matching Avatar.

DC_MCU_BO190530c.thumb.PNG.b6284b279d7ef8d9ba478116760b70f8.PNG

Edited by Bosco685

10 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

So then I wondered if that included all coral, and bacteria, and plankton, and what would all that mean?
Then I reminded myself I'm pondering a comic-book movie instead of going along for the ride.  And a great one, it was,

Somewhere in the universe there was a species that was down to the last male and female and then one of them disappeared.  NICE JOB, THANOS.  :mad:

It shouldn't have been half but a per-species sliding scale that went up or down based upon a complex formula that weighed variables including current population and available resources.  The guy had a millennium or so to work on that formula, WTH man?!?!  :taptaptap:

10 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Somewhere in the universe there was a species that was down to the last male and female and then one of them disappeared.  NICE JOB, THANOS.  :mad:

It shouldn't have been half but a per-species sliding scale that went up or down based upon a complex formula that weighed variables including current population and available resources.  The guy had a millennium or so to work on that formula, WTH man?!?!  :taptaptap:

Yeah lol

because I had just seen a PNAS paper on the biomass distribution on Earth, I couldn't help but think how the plants and bacteria got screwed in this deal.  They account for a lot more mass on this earth than anything else, by a long shot.  And the effects that it would have. 
This graph from the paper was in my head:

F1.large.jpg.de6a4cd7bc393d1ac669673e235379ae.jpg

Edited by Unca Ben

1 hour ago, Unca Ben said:

Yeah lol

because I had just seen a PNAS paper on the biomass distribution on Earth, I couldn't help but think how the plants and bacteria got screwed in this deal.  They account for a lot more mass on this earth then anything else, by a long shot.  And the effects that would have. 
This graph from the paper was in my head:

F1.large.jpg.de6a4cd7bc393d1ac669673e235379ae.jpg

Voronoi diagrams for the win. ^^

1 hour ago, chezmtghut said:

Latest BOM update shows Endgame only made 4.344M Monday - Thursday Internationally. That's a drop of 75% from last week. I was expecting closer to 10M. Maybe Sunday's update shows it made more.

nah, it's winding down. $2.75BB over/under finish. $7.7BB+ for the 4 movies- staggering total.

16 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Yeah, I guess that's it.  But if natural resources include forests, both those on land and in the sea, then he wiped out 50% of an important part.
I wasn't 100% sure what the snap did when I first saw it.  Only 50% of human-like life?  I didn't see any animals disappear and I didn't notice any tress or plants going away, either.  I might'a missed it.
Then I read that the last movie did show birds and trees (a tree?) reappearing, so that meant 50% of all living things went away.  I missed that.

Only half of all sentient life. Creatures with complex brains and free will. Not living things like plants that are symbiotic in nature that require rooting, etc. More birds are what Ant-man saw return after Professor Hulk's snap.

1 minute ago, chrisco37 said:

Thanos could've just as easily doubled the available resources to meet the needs of the existing populations.  Instead he wiped them out.  He was evil.  

"This universe is finite; its resources finite."

The writers and directors included this line in Infinity War to convey to the audience that this was not a solution.

He is a villain (as you put it - "evil"), but it seems that he considered the 'expansion' theory.

9 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Only half of all sentient life. Creatures with complex brains and free will. Not living things like plants that are symbiotic in nature that require rooting, etc. More birds are what Ant-man saw return after Professor Hulk's snap.

I'd go with your view on the constraints of Thanos' snap, it makes more sense.
But this interview with Kevin Feige seems to imply otherwise.  I don't believe they thought through the entire implications of removing 50% of all life.  Which is okay; it's a comic-book movie.

"I do need to confirm something about the outcome of Infinity War, and apologies if you’ve addressed this – the end of Ant-Man and the Wasp led to conversations. Are half the animals dead? Are half of the horses gone? Half of the ants?"

"Yes! Yes. All life."

Endgame update puts it at $92.5M away from Avatar's unadjusted 2009 box office total. It is interesting the steam has slowed down enough its domestic daily updates are now trailing not only Infinity War, but also Avengers (2012).

DC_MCU_BO190531a.thumb.PNG.1aa98a8c74c4970b8f2ba26f019f17fe.PNG

On 5/31/2019 at 4:47 PM, Bosco685 said:

Endgame update puts it at $92.5M away from Avatar's unadjusted 2009 box office total. It is interesting the steam has slowed down enough its domestic daily updates are now trailing not only Infinity War, but also Avengers (2012).

DC_MCU_BO190531a.thumb.PNG.1aa98a8c74c4970b8f2ba26f019f17fe.PNG

I'm happy to hear that, because I think it was a weaker film than either Infinity War or The Avengers.

I've now seen it twice and it's definitely outside of my Top 5 MCU films.