• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2019 at 4:43 PM, Unca Ben said:

I'd go with your view on the constraints of Thanos' snap, it makes more sense.
But this interview with Kevin Feige seems to imply otherwise.  I don't believe they thought through the entire implications of removing 50% of all life.  Which is okay; it's a comic-book movie.

"I do need to confirm something about the outcome of Infinity War, and apologies if you’ve addressed this – the end of Ant-Man and the Wasp led to conversations. Are half the animals dead? Are half of the horses gone? Half of the ants?"

"Yes! Yes. All life."

I recently read an article that claims The Avengers is the penultimate villain because of what the return of the Decimated will do to the universe after 5 years without them. lol

AoU still made another 20M+ after this point, so 835M - 840M domestic is where it will land. Might see another 20M internationally also. Should end it’s run around 2.75B +/-. There’s just too much competition for it to go any further. 

27 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

AoU still made another 20M+ after this point, so 835M - 840M domestic is where it will land. Might see another 20M internationally also. Should end it’s run around 2.75B +/-. There’s just too much competition for it to go any further. 

Still, the positive side to all of this is two Fantasy films are the most massive hits ever ahead of all the other genres and film creators pitching such films have a short shelf life.

That's a win! :tink:

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Still, the positive side to all of this is two Fantasy films are the most massive hits ever ahead of all the other genres and film creators pitching such films have a short shelf life.

That's a win! :tink:

I don't think anyone could argue that this being a major win for the genre. Looks like they just adjusted the international #'s up $710,253. $2,713,912,037 worldwide now. Still waiting on domestic #'s to be updated.

I think that bootlegs prevented this from hitting $3 billion, sadly.

did end up with an HQ bootleg of Infinity War after 3 weeks (I had already seen it 6 times in theaters). I probably watched the bootleg 25 times before it came out on Blu-ray.

I don't have a bootleg for Endgame, but I imagine that some people have seen it, as opposed to going to the theater. That's hurt Endgame's numbers.

I still wanna see it a couple more times. Just haven't had any spare time to go with my dad again.

10 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I think that bootlegs prevented this from hitting $3 billion, sadly.

did end up with an HQ bootleg of Infinity War after 3 weeks (I had already seen it 6 times in theaters). I probably watched the bootleg 25 times before it came out on Blu-ray.

I don't have a bootleg for Endgame, but I imagine that some people have seen it, as opposed to going to the theater. That's hurt Endgame's numbers.

I still wanna see it a couple more times. Just haven't had any spare time to go with my dad again.

Bootlegs hurt every film but a 3 hours run time with less action than your average Avengers film probably hurt repeat business also. I can't stand watching cam versions of any film, I don't care how high quality it is. Everything comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray so quickly these days & there's so many things to occupy your time with, that there's really no point. My uncle is visiting, so I treated him & my parents to Endgame again on Friday. I've seen it 4 or 5 times but I've passed out twice around Black Widow's Vormir scene & woke up during the final battle. Will definitely be nice to see it at home to rewind next time that happens.xD They've been pulling Marvel films from theaters more quickly, so Endgame might only last 18 weeks as oppose to Infinity War's 20 weeks. Might drop to AoU weekly #'s at this rate.:facepalm:

6 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Bootlegs hurt every film but a 3 hours run time with less action than your average Avengers film probably hurt repeat business also. I can't stand watching cam versions of any film, I don't care how high quality it is. Everything comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray so quickly these days & there's so many things to occupy your time with, that there's really no point. My uncle is visiting, so I treated him & my parents to Endgame again on Friday. I've seen it 4 or 5 times but I've passed out twice around Black Widow's Vormir scene & woke up during the final battle. Will definitely be nice to see it at home to rewind next time that happens.xD They've been pulling Marvel films from theaters more quickly, so Endgame might only last 18 weeks as oppose to Infinity War's 20 weeks. Might drop to AoU weekly #'s at this rate.:facepalm:

True. 4th time I saw it I just couldn't wait until after the Vormir scene, because the last 75 minutes or so are purely awesome.

I always forget it's a 3-hour movie lol.

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

True. 4th time I saw it I just couldn't wait until after the Vormir scene, because the last 75 minutes or so are purely awesome.

I always forget it's a 3-hour movie lol.

Still has better ratings than Infinity War but some of the more hardcore comic fans probably prefer IW better & didn't watch it as many times. I'm anxious for Spider-Man now that I've seen the new trailer on the big screen.:cloud9:

5 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Still has better ratings than Infinity War but some of the more hardcore comic fans probably prefer IW better & didn't watch it as many times. I'm anxious for Spider-Man now that I've seen the new trailer on the big screen.:cloud9:

Infinity War has more re-watch value because, as Doctor Strange himself said, "when it starts you can't catch your breath because it just keeps coming and coming" (when talking about the action in Infinity War). It's faster-pace, where Endgame focuses more on character moments and trying to satisfy everything full-circle.

I can probably watch the last half of Endgame as much as I saw Infinity War, but it's a slow and effective build overall. The entire thing is a once-in-a-lifetime event and I will never forget that first time I sat there trying not to blink for 3 hours.

The end credits for Endgame are also :censored: awesome for the Original 6. Absolutely love it.

3 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

yet in the end, Endgame will outgross IW by $700MM WW. $700MM ain't small potatoes.

39 minutes ago, paperheart said:

yet in the end, Endgame will outgross IW by $700MM WW. $700MM ain't small potatoes.

Definitely. Endgame’s 1st week was like a Christmas marathon, 2nd week was still better than most openings but it dropped rapidly after that. I think it’s something we can expect with all of the tight competition on weekly basis. Even with Deadpool 2 coming out shortly after it’s debut, I don’t think Infinity War had this amount of competition to contend with. 

5 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

I don't think anyone could argue that this being a major win for the genre. Looks like they just adjusted the international #'s up $710,253. $2,713,912,037 worldwide now. Still waiting on domestic #'s to be updated.

+$225K 

As initially predicted/presumed, the competition (Pokémon: Detective Pikachu, John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum, Aladdin, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, etc.) was too much for Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame. With a $7.8 million domestic weekend (-55% from last weekend) and $8.6 million overseas for a $16.4 million global frame, the MCU sequel has earned an absurd $815.5 million domestic, $1.8977 billion overseas and $2.7132 billion worldwide. That’s a ridiculous total by every measure except for one. Barring a re-release or a miracle, it won’t dethrone Avatar as the biggest grosser overseas ($2.029 billion) or worldwide ($2.788 billion).

This isn’t the biggest problem in the world for any movie. Presuming a domestic finish of $850 million, an overseas finish (including $629.1 million in China) of $1.916 billion and a global cume of $2.766 billion, Avengers: Endgame will still be among the biggest (sans inflation) grossers ever. It’s the biggest Hollywood import in China and the third-biggest grosser there behind The Wandering Earth ($699 million) and Wolf Warrior 2 ($854 million). It’s the second-biggest grosser in North America (behind Walt Disney’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens), overseas (behind Fox’s Avatar) and worldwide (behind Fox’s Avatar).

Yes, those three non-Chinese titles are now all under the Disney umbrella. Since Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012 and subsequently restarted the Star Wars franchise, they have earned $4.8497 billion over four movies. Since Disney bought Marvel in 2009, they have helped the MCU become the dominant franchise in Hollywood, if not Hollywood history, earning $21.3 billion over 22 movies including $1.81979 billion just since Disney took over (not counting Sony’s Spider-Man: Homecoming). And since they bought Fox just this year, whatever does or doesn’t happen with the Avatar series will be Disney’s triumph or tragedy.

All of this is a roundabout way of saying that I’m amused to see MCU fans heavily invested in seeing their blockbuster Disney release dethrone another big movie that is now also a Disney property. This is not unlike modern sports fandom, where fans presume a certain ownership of their favorite franchise even though they have no actual investment in the outcome. Heck, at least with sports teams, there is a potential for localized economic benefits if your hometown team has a winning season. But your local restaurants don’t get a boost when Captain Marvel out-grosses Wonder Woman.

If you’re #TeamAvatar, there’s the shear miracle, especially ten years later, of an original, built-from-scratch auteur-driven action-adventure fantasy existing as the biggest grossing movie of all time amid IP and nostalgia-skewing mega-movies. And, yes, it’s still a damn good movie. If you’re #TeamAvengers, there’s that entire cinematic universe succeeded at least partially through a consistent quality. Endgame was the culmination of a saga that flourished due to creative teams making consistently smart decisions in regard to casting, character-focused narratives and genre appropriation. Simply put, Avatar is the first Star Wars while Endgame is the last Harry Potter movie.

6 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

All we need is like 5 million people to see it 1 more time.

Well, when you have folks like this making it sound like Disney needs saving...

endgame_bo01.PNG.24d45a59a33eaedea9756e9fb9282404.PNG

'DO YOUR DUTY' :insane: