• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

I wonder if they will call Avatar 2 - 5 a cash grab & keep it out of future Oscar nominations also.hm

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cinemablend.com/news/2474355/academy-member-says-theres-no-way-hed-ever-vote-for-an-avengers-movie-to-get-an-oscar

A3BA6C34-04F6-430B-BDC4-4BF85EB14C6A.thumb.jpeg.61c384b89a4a5e7851eac52b6ff95548.jpeg

That's BS! :sumo:

11 hours ago, Bosco685 said:
12 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

I wonder if they will call Avatar 2 - 5 a cash grab & keep it out of future Oscar nominations also.hm

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cinemablend.com/news/2474355/academy-member-says-theres-no-way-hed-ever-vote-for-an-avengers-movie-to-get-an-oscar

A3BA6C34-04F6-430B-BDC4-4BF85EB14C6A.thumb.jpeg.61c384b89a4a5e7851eac52b6ff95548.jpeg

That's BS! :sumo:

It's consistent with the entire history of the Oscars; they RARELY nominate entertainment-based films unless they're significantly innovative.  The best example of that during my life was the nomination Star Wars got for the extreme innovation to editing and cinematography that movie introduced that changed blockbuster movies forever.  If the purpose of a film doesn't have a strong thrust of trying to improve the human condition in some way by conveying a moral theme it virtually never gets nominated.

Edited by fantastic_four

Let's be clear here - none of the Avengers Movies (while entertaining) should be nominated for Best Picture - the acting is not at an Oscar level, nor is the story/plot.  I don't think Black Panther should have been nominated either (as the acting was just ok - I really enjoyed and liked the movie and visually it was stunning) - really the only Super-Hero film I can see being worthy of a Best Picture Nomination is The Dark Knight - because the acting (from Heath Ledger) was superb as wwas the story and cinematography.

Now if your argument is it made the most money so it should be nominated for best picture - then you are asking for the Oscar's not to be about acting/plot/story - but more so about box office appeal - which is not the point of the Oscars.

However, if a critic/oscar voter dismisses a film solely because it is a blockbuster film and not because he thinks the acting/story/plot do not meet the Oscar requirements that is also wrong.

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

It's consistent with the entire history of the Oscars; they RARELY nominate entertainment-based films unless they're significantly innovative.  The best example of that during my life was the nomination Star Wars got for the extreme innovation to editing and cinematography that movie introduced that changed blockbuster movies forever.  If the purpose of a film doesn't have a strong thrust of trying to improve the human condition in some way by conveying a moral theme it virtually never gets nominated.

I agree a film shouldn't just receive an award or a nomination because it made a load of money at the box office. That reward is the bank account growing.

But if you read the statement from this anonymous source, they stated there would never be a place for an 'Avengers movie' at the Oscars table. How can any reasonable person predict future films even not qualifying? You can't, unless you are biased.

21 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Let's be clear here - none of the Avengers Movies (while entertaining) should be nominated for Best Picture - the acting is not at an Oscar level, nor is the story/plot.  I don't think Black Panther should have been nominated either (as the acting was just ok - I really enjoyed and liked the movie and visually it was stunning) - really the only Super-Hero film I can see being worthy of a Best Picture Nomination is The Dark Knight - because the acting (from Heath Ledger) was superb as wwas the story and cinematography.

Now if your argument is it made the most money so it should be nominated for best picture - then you are asking for the Oscar's not to be about acting/plot/story - but more so about box office appeal - which is not the point of the Oscars.

However, if a critic/oscar voter dismisses a film solely because it is a blockbuster film and not because he thinks the acting/story/plot do not meet the Oscar requirements that is also wrong.

^^

That was the point of the concern. Someone contributing to the final Oscars vote stating Avengers movie will not be in any category. Okay to say if they saw previous films and felt strongly against their recommendation. Speaking for any future movies as well demonstrates bias towards such movies. For all we know, a future superhero movie could have a massively entertaining -script, and be well-deserving of such a recommendation.

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

What could be considered more innovative or have more of a moral theme about improving the human condition than a series of 22 films culminating into one massive storyline about humans, super humans, aliens & gods coming together & risking their lives to save humanity from tyranny & evil?

13 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

What could be considered more innovative or have more of a moral theme about improving the human condition than a series of 22 films culminating into one massive storyline about humans, super humans, aliens & gods coming together & risking their lives to save humanity from tyranny & evil?

Cowboys eating pudding.

20 hours ago, Bosco685 said:
23 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I agree a film shouldn't just receive an award or a nomination because it made a load of money at the box office. That reward is the bank account growing.

But if you read the statement from this anonymous source, they stated there would never be a place for an 'Avengers movie' at the Oscars table. How can any reasonable person predict future films even not qualifying? You can't, unless you are biased.

You'd have to not be paying attention to NOT be biased.  The hero genre is implicitly about entertainment and always has been for thousands of years from the Iliad and Odyssey to Beowulf to King Arthur to Westerns through to superhero films.  His bias is that when two zebras mate they're probably going to give birth to another animal with stripes.  I generally agree with him, superhero films aren't art, they're entertainment, and if that changes I'll be shocked because that's what the fans of the genre want, myself included.

35 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

You'd have to not be paying attention to NOT be biased.  The hero genre is implicitly about entertainment and always has been for thousands of years from the Iliad and Odyssey to Beowulf to King Arthur to Westerns through to superhero films.  His bias is that when two zebras mate they're probably going to give birth to another animal with stripes.  I generally agree with him, superhero films aren't art, they're entertainment, and if that changes I'll be shocked because that's what the fans of the genre want, myself included.

Not that you are confused with this opinion. But if you look at such films, there is a tale told within the stories.

• Superman: An outsider adopted into a world not his own, and coming to be its symbol of hope.
  • Batman: A traumatized boy that comes to strengthen his abilities so as to protect others from such threats as he also learns to expand his trust in others.
  • Captain America: A man that through his personal sacrifice struggles to better others around him as an example.
  • Spider-Man: A kid that through bad decisions suffered substantially, yet through his mistakes became someone always working to make up for his early mistakes which sacrifices his personal life.

To me, these are more than BANG, BOOM, POW movies because they bring entertainment along with fictional examples of how people can be better than where they started out. Especially in the stronger films, where the human side rings through.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Not that you are confused with this opinion. But if you look at such films, there is a tale told within the stories.

• Superman: An outsider adopted into a world not his own, and coming to be its symbol of hope.
  • Batman: A traumatized boy that comes to strengthen his abilities so as to protect others from such threats as he also learns to expand his trust in others.
  • Captain America: A man that through his personal sacrifice struggles to better others around him as an example.
  • Spider-Man: A kid that through bad decisions suffered substantially, yet through his mistakes became someone always working to make up for his early mistakes which sacrifices his personal life.

To me, these are more than BANG, BOOM, POW movies because they bring entertainment along with fictional examples of how people can be better than where they started out. Especially in the stronger films, where the human side rings through.

Infinity War and Endgame are thematic examples of sacrifice, change, family, and boundaries, both sides of the coin.

Thanos sacrificed everything he had to complete his goal. Tony Stark sacrificed himself to save everything he had.

15 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

So conflict.  Yes, that's a universal theme, but it's also the bare minimum for a semi-compelling film for adults.  You're going to find conflict in the vast majority of compelling films, so Oscar voters are looking for far more innovative themes than that.

Think about every book or movie you were assigned to read or watch in school and try to think about why you were made to read or watch them.  That's the type of fiction you're going to see the Academy nominate.  If you never liked any of that stuff they made you read in school enough to figure out why they made you read it, you'll also never understand how the Academy members vote for films, either.

Edited by fantastic_four