• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2019 at 10:58 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

C'mon manlol.  You can't make that argument.  Both story and characters were already developed in the comics.  I don't know how original something can be when it's built on an existing story and idea.

What story does Endgame replicate..? While the characters are inspired by the comic counterparts, they're definitely unique to the MCU. And while quantum time travel is not a unique concept, it was executed in a unique fashion. Endgame offers some unique premises and is a unique event, especially in comparison to Avatar, which was simple a unique adaptation of advancing visual technology.

On 6/23/2019 at 7:29 PM, Unca Ben said:

How about a rehabilitation of the claim -
from: "Seriously, though, Endgame was an original story with interesting characters".
to: "Seriously, though, Endgame was an adaptation of an original story with interesting characters".   -as opposed to Avatar, which might be viewed as a rehash of a well-used story.  (And I'm not bashing, I rather liked Avatar).

While that's not unfair - which comic story did Endgame replicate? It's not Infinity War or Infinity Crusade. It's a unique adaptation. Unless someone can point me to the story that inspired it.

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

While that's not unfair - which comic story did Endgame replicate? It's not Infinity War or Infinity Crusade. It's a unique adaptation. Unless someone can point me to the story that inspired it.

I was trying to find the middle-ground, as the overall concept of the Avengers, Thanos, the glove, etc. are adapted from the comics.  I agree, many elements are original.  Yet, the MCU is adapted from the comics.

Mebbe this is a case where something less original (the movie Avengers ) is more original than Avatar (which showcases original characters).  :D

3 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

I was trying to find the middle-ground, as the overall concept of the Avengers, Thanos, the glove, etc. are adapted from the comics.  I agree, many elements are original.  Yet, the MCU is adapted from the comics.

Mebbe this is a case where something less original (the movie Avengers ) is more original than Avatar (which showcases original characters).  :D

:pullhair:

There is no middle ground. There can be only 1!

7 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Back To The FutureO.o

Did you... See Endgame..?

The quantum time travel does not do the same thing. Professor Hulk even shot down all of Lang's movie-inspired ideas on the effects of time travel... As did Stark... Specifically saying that Back to the Future is not the same concept...

Edited by TwoPiece

3 hours ago, paperheart said:

so an estimated $2.5MM weekend is somehow going to translate into an additional $35MM to pass Avatar?

I was surprised to see the boxofficemojo forecast so low.  You would think at least $2.5m/day.  But looking at my area (Boston) there really aren't that many showtimes available.  Not exactly sure which side has more control over that; the theater or the distributor.