• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

Oh man. I want this.

Avengers: Endgame writers Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely started their Marvel Studios journey with Captain America: The First Avenger, in which they pitted Steve Rogers against his greatest foe the Red Skull. So with Red Skull playing a role in both Endgame and Avengers: Infinity War, why didn't the two interact? It turns out, that was a part of the early plan for film.

The two writers spoke at San Diego Comic-Con 2019, revealing that they initially had a manifesto for the film that featured Captain America going into space and traveling to Vormir to get the Soul Stone.

"In the manifesto document, there was one theory that [it was] Cap who goes to space, and he has to collaborate with Red Skull to get the Stone," Markus said.

But the writers, who have penned all of the Captain America trilogy and the last two Avengers movies, knew that they had a plan for Red Skull when he was blasted by the energy of the Tesseract in Captain America: The First Avenger.

"We did send him to space and send him away very much on purpose," Markus said, and it just happened to work out when they were figuring out what to do with the Soul Stone in the Avengers movies.

4 hours ago, Gaard said:

btw - Did I miss the explanation for why the Hulk refused to come out in IW?

Yes.

Ragnarok, Infinity War, and Endgame complete a trilogy arc for Bruce Banner and Hulk. Ragnarok shows Hulk in the driver's seat - to the point where Banner is afraid of completely losing control. Infinity War showcases the Hulk being afraid of Banner being completely in control, and simply using him as a weapon. Endgame is, as the professor says himself, the complete harmony of the brains and the brawn.

Yes, unfortunately we didn't get to see an epic showdown and revenge for the Hulk vs Thanos, but I am completely at peace with his history. He did get to show that he has the strength of body and mind to wield the Gauntlet in a capacity that mirrors Thanos' Decimation. That was enough redemption for me.

5 hours ago, media_junkie said:

So do you think Endgame can leg it out to an even $2.8 billion?

don't know if they have anything left in reserve. Disney obviously timed the record breaking announcement for SDCC by previously under-reporting international numbers. The international total increased $6.4MM this week (BOM) and included just $300K (Deadline) on the weekend.  Bottom line, they've snatched the #1 spot from Cameron. :applause:

11 hours ago, media_junkie said:

The Russo brothers gave us Captain America: The Winter Soldier, as far as I am concerned from that point on they get a free pass.  Of course to then follow up with Infinity War and Endgame (and to a lesser extent Civil War), those dudes are epic.

^^