• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

As one might expect, Avengers: Endgame cleaned house at the 45th Saturn Awards, the biggest awards show for all things science fiction, fantasy, and horror. Going into the show with over a dozen nominations, the Marvel Studios blockbuster ended up winning six awards, more than any other property at the show.

Endgame's wins include Best Comic-to-Motion Picture Release, Best Actor in a Film (Robert Downey Jr.), Best Film Production Design(Charles Wood), Best Film Editing (Jeffrey Ford and Matthew Schmidt), Best Film Make-up, and Best Film Special/Visual Effects (Dan DeLeeuw). The Russo Brothers film wasn't the lone Marvel film to win either; Tom Holland and Zendaya both won for their roles in Spider-Man: Far From Home while Josh Brolin won for Best Supporting Actor in a Film for Avengers: Infinity War.

HBO's Game of Thrones came in second with four — Best Fantasy Television series, Best Actress on a Television Series (Emilia Clarke), Best Supporting Actor on a Television Series (Peter Dinklage), and Best Performance by a Younger Actor on a Televison Series (Maisie Williams).

After Ryan Coogler's Black Panther took away three Academy Awards next season, many awards bloggers suggest the Academy is no longer shying away from genre films. With Avengers: Endgame being the highest-grossing film to ever theaters (not considering inflation), there's been a renewed push for additional Oscars for Marvel Studios. Earlier this summer, Iron Man director Jon Favreau revealed he thought Downey should be a contender for Best Actor.

The Second City Loves ‘Avengers’ Director Joe Russo 3000

(20:30-21:00)

Joe Russo: "...you're never in this position in films ever and frankly it's probably not a good position to be in unless I think you've been doing it for 20 years in your perspective on it. It's helpful to have limited resources as an artist because it forces you to make compelling choices right now I'm about to say today we're in a position on these two films where we had unlimited resources...we could constantly correct things..."

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Iron Man was on TV yesterday. The chemistry between RDJ and Paltrow started off so well in that movie.

They play off of each other so well it literally looks like a real relationship (boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife).

Edited by sagekilz

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Ah, yes, the most :eyeroll: scene in the whole movie.

I agree.  Of all people in that battle, Captain Marvel was the one who LEAST needed backup to get the gauntlet where it was going.  Just moments before she tore through Thanos' ship like it was a wet paper bag.

Personally, I think the scene could have been even better if Nebula had the gauntlet to really drive home her complete detachment from Thanos.  You can still have your "A-Force" moment, but they are supporting Nebula...who would definitely need support.  Captain Marvel holds off Thanos while the rest of the ladies run cover for Nebula.  I think a scene where in the middle of a fight with Captain Marvel, Thanos sees his own daughter (though from another time) fighting hard to stop his goals could have provided a pretty good emotional moment for the Mad Titan. 

I LOVE this movie.  But the scene as it was presented made me roll my eyes.  Not because it was an all-female shot, but because at that moment the thought that any of the ladies could do anything that would actually help Captain Marvel was laughable.  Except for Thanos himself, there was no threat to her on that battlefield. 

8 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I agree.  Of all people in that battle, Captain Marvel was the one who LEAST needed backup to get the gauntlet where it was going.  Just moments before she tore through Thanos' ship like it was a wet paper bag.

Personally, I think the scene could have been even better if Nebula had the gauntlet to really drive home her complete detachment from Thanos.  You can still have your "A-Force" moment, but they are supporting Nebula...who would definitely need support.  Captain Marvel holds off Thanos while the rest of the ladies run cover for Nebula.  I think a scene where in the middle of a fight with Captain Marvel, Thanos sees his own daughter (though from another time) fighting hard to stop his goals could have provided a pretty good emotional moment for the Mad Titan. 

I LOVE this movie.  But the scene as it was presented made me roll my eyes.  Not because it was an all-female shot, but because at that moment the thought that any of the ladies could do anything that would actually help Captain Marvel was laughable.  Except for Thanos himself, there was no threat to her on that battlefield. 

Exactly.

Nothing wrong with an all-female shot, or scene, but it was just executed poorly.