• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

I watched ENDGAME tonight for the first time since seeing it theatrically, and wow did I enjoy it more on a second viewing. A lot of the time travel stuff that bothered me on my first viewing was much easier to understand(except for Cap. I still can't figure out how he pulled off what he did). An epic good time. I'm sorry that most of the main cast is done, I don't see how Marvel moves forward without the True.Avengers.

On 2/15/2020 at 4:48 AM, Larryw7 said:

I watched ENDGAME tonight for the first time since seeing it theatrically, and wow did I enjoy it more on a second viewing. A lot of the time travel stuff that bothered me on my first viewing was much easier to understand(except for Cap. I still can't figure out how he pulled off what he did). An epic good time. I'm sorry that most of the main cast is done, I don't see how Marvel moves forward without the True.Avengers.

After returning the Infinity Stones and Mjolnir, he created an alternate universe by staying with Peggy, and returned to (presumably) Earth-616 after he fulfilled his life in that branch reality.

I also remember enjoying Endgame much better on my second trip to the theater. Not sure why, maybe I wanted more Carol Danvers. But after multiple viewings now, Endgame is my favorite Avengers movie.

For Steve Rogers’ time travels at the end, as long as he had a Stark Space-Time GPS device and enough Pym Particle capsules for each time trip (which he did or at least knew where to get more), he could go anywhere at anytime. 

My question is, did Steve Rogers actually create a new timeline by returning to 1945? I thought removing and not replacing an Infinity Stone to the exact time and place it was taken was what created new timelines, as explained by Ancient One and Banner? Maybe I  need to watch Endgame a 12th time now. 

As for going forward, once Phase Four and Five get going and the MCU gets even crazier with the cosmic and the multiverse storylines and the Eternals and Adam Warlock comes around, you won’t miss Rogers, Stark, or Natasha. And the Avengers will be in decent hands with Carol Danvers and Sam Wilson at lead. But I think it’s also going to be a very different scenario going forward I think.

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

My question is, did Steve Rogers actually create a new timeline by returning to 1945? I thought removing and not replacing an Infinity Stone to the exact time and place it was taken was what created new timelines, as explained by Ancient One and Banner? Maybe I  need to watch Endgame a 12th time now. 

As for going forward, once Phase Four and Five get going and the MCU gets even crazier with the cosmic and the multiverse storylines and the Eternals and Adam Warlock comes around, you won’t miss Rogers, Stark, or Natasha. And the Avengers will be in decent hands with Carol Danvers and Sam Wilson at lead. But I think it’s also going to be a very different scenario going forward I think.

No. He created a new branch reality by not returning from 1970 (when and where he returned the Tesseract).

There are 2 alternate universes that we know of. The one beginning in 1970, where Steve stayed - and the one beginning in 2012, when Loki took the Tesseract.

A 3rd is possible but unconfirmed. It's suggested that when Tony used the Nano Gauntlet, he was able to not only turn the 2014 Thanos army to dust, but he was also subsequently able to clip that branch reality ('cause Infinity Stones). It all depends on what they plan on doing with Gamora. If she's in GotG Vol. 3 - then there's definitely a 4th multiverse. If not, then Tony clipped that branch.

24 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Nah. It was 1970.

It’s not a debate. Steve Rogers went back to 1945(or1944), to meet Peggy for that date he promised her as he crashed the Red Skulls plane. This is on record by the writers, I believe. Plus, if you look at that final Endgame scene, the homes and cars are all circa 1940’s and the song “It’s Been a Long Long Time” was a radio hit in 1945. It’s okay to be wrong sometimes. It happens to all of us.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It’s not a debate. Steve Rogers went back to 1945(or1944), to meet Peggy for that date he promised her as he crashed the Red Skulls plane. This is on record by the writers, I believe. Plus, if you look at that final Endgame scene, the homes and cars are all circa 1940’s and the song “It’s Been a Long Long Time” was a radio hit in 1945. It’s okay to be wrong sometimes. It happens to all of us.

You're right - it isn't a debate. He didn't go back to 1945. The writers have never said as much.

You must've overlooked the fact that the song playing while they danced was the same record Fury played in Cap's apartment in 2014 (The Winter Soldier). It is okay to be wrong - as you often are.

16 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You're right - it isn't a debate. He didn't go back to 1945. The writers have never said as much.

You must've overlooked the fact that the song playing while they danced was the same record Fury played in Cap's apartment in 2014 (The Winter Soldier). It is okay to be wrong - as you often are.

Here's Endgame writer Christopher Markus clarifying his thoughts on whether or not Steve Rogers created a new timeline by going back to the 1940's.

1863799168_ScreenShot2020-02-17at11_11_02AM.thumb.png.fe232b26a02836d3cb6e46570d229c64.png

Edited by @therealsilvermane

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Here's Endgame writer Christopher Markus clarifying his thoughts on whether or not Steve Rogers created a new timeline by going back to the 1940's.

1863799168_ScreenShot2020-02-17at11_11_02AM.thumb.png.fe232b26a02836d3cb6e46570d229c64.png

"I believe", despite the fact that the Russo Bros wholeheartedly disagree with this line of thinking.

The writers' comments on this make literally no sense when the movie conveys an exclusivity to the management of time travel. If you want to believe the wrong theory, then all the power to you...

An epic good time. I'm sorry that most of the main cast is done, I don't see how Marvel moves forward without the True.Avengers.

Take out Rocket and Nebula from this pic, add T'Challa, Sam, and She-Hulk and you have a new Avengers team. I was getting tired of Steve Rogers and Tony Stark's constant bickering anyways.

IMG_7606.jpg.5104f2f07fec28777b8fb07b790da47d.jpg

6 minutes ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Vintage automobile, mother, son (?), vintage baby carriage & Song: It's Been a Long, Long Time (1945ish)

912923988_Untitledending.thumb.jpg.705b735f6fb11cea17e5b60b1c4e2256.jpg

They didn't have carriages and cars in 1970...?

As mentioned - the song was already referenced in The Winter Soldier. They didn't select it based on the era that he went back to.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

"I believe", despite the fact that the Russo Bros wholeheartedly disagree with this line of thinking.

The writers' comments on this make literally no sense when the movie conveys an exclusivity to the management of time travel. If you want to believe the wrong theory, then all the power to you...

Okay, the Russo Brothers say a new timeline was created by Steve Rogers going back in time. I'll go with that because it's more in line with the "Back to the Future is BS" stance in Endgame.

However, Steve going back to the 1940's is not a debate. But I'll play. I've got a little time.

The Russo Brothers, nowhere I could find, do not specify what time Rogers goes back to. The Endgame writers say 1948.

VFX Supervisor Trent Clause says Steve Rogers was 119 years old when he gives Sam the shield, but should look 85-95 because of the super soldier serum. Those years would be off if you consider he was born in 1918. But still, doing the math with the makeup effect, it means young Steve Rogers went further back in time than 1970. If it was 1970, that means Steve would only look like he was about 85 years old (add his current look about 30 years if he was 26 when he froze to 53 years). With the super soldier effect, he'd actually look younger than he did at the end of Endgame. But as it is, going back to 1945-8 means he added 75+ living years to his current "30 year look", again if you consider he was about 26 when he went into the ice. That's in line with the effect look Trent Clause and team were going for.

Here are set pics of Peggy Carter's Endgame  home clearly furnished circa 1940's with 1940's appliances:

2131868057_PegCarterlivingroom.jpg.1b55a6c4513fcf853f370f127346049a.jpg75905366_PegCarterbedroom.jpg.6e8774eaebca7778b1dae4afc96d59c3.jpg

And here's Marvel CineWiki stating Steve and Peggy's 1940's home from Endgame in 1949.

1569184259_ScreenShot2020-02-17at12_35_39PM.thumb.png.6c6f47d47739d652f4ce58d09cf2e516.png

Also, I have to find them, but there are set pics of Peggy Carter's neighborhood street seen in the crane shot in Endgame where you clearly see 1940's cars parked and one drive by the house.

Steve Rogers went back to the 1940's in Endgame. No debate.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Okay, the Russo Brothers say a new timeline was created by Steve Rogers going back in time. I'll go with that because it's more in line with the "Back to the Future is BS" stance in Endgame.

However, Steve going back to the 1940's is not a debate. But I'll play. I've got a little time.

The Russo Brothers, nowhere I could find, do not specify what time Rogers goes back to. The Endgame writers say 1948.

VFX Supervisor Trent Clause says Steve Rogers was 119 years old when he gives Sam the shield, but should look 85-95 because of the super soldier serum. Those years would be off if you consider he was born in 1918. But still, doing the math with the makeup effect, it means young Steve Rogers went further back in time than 1970. If it was 1970, that means Steve would only look like he was about 85 years old (add his current look about 30 years if he was 26 when he froze to 53 years). With the super soldier effect, he'd look younger than he did at the end of Endgame. But as it is, going back to 1945-8 means he added 75+ living years to his current "30 year look", again if you consider he was about 26 when he went into the ice.

Here are set pics of Peggy Carter's home clearly furnished circa 1940's with 1940's appliances:

2131868057_PegCarterlivingroom.jpg.1b55a6c4513fcf853f370f127346049a.jpg75905366_PegCarterbedroom.jpg.6e8774eaebca7778b1dae4afc96d59c3.jpg

And here's Marvel CineWiki stating Steve and Peggy's 1940's home from Endgame in 1949.

1569184259_ScreenShot2020-02-17at12_35_39PM.thumb.png.6c6f47d47739d652f4ce58d09cf2e516.png

Also, I have to find them, but there are set pics of Peggy Carter's neighborhood street seen in the crane shot in Endgame where you clearly see 1940's cars parked and one drive by the house.

Steve Rogers went back to the 1940's in Endgame. No debate.

:golfclap: