• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, wisbyron said:

I don't dislike Bree Larson but I can't get fully into the Carol Danvers Captain Marvel simply because I grew up reading Roger Stern's excellent Monica Rambeau version of Captain Marvel and what Grunewald and Macchio did to her after firing Stern really still irks me and I think it's an injustice to the character. I'm actually surprise it isn't more of a bigger deal among comic fans.

http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/entries/avengers_286-287.shtml

I respect that purported Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel fans want some kind of movie justice for a character they grew up with, but understand that the only reason Monica Rambeau was created was so Marvel Comics could use the Captain Marvel name in print and not lose the copyright to the name. The name is very important to Marvel Comics, obviously, as it contains the company's namesake. However, Monica Rambeau has no connection to Kree culture or technology or to the original Mar Vell whatsoever. The true heir to Mar Vell should have been Ms. Marvel Carol Danvers, but Chris Claremont had altered the character so much, stripped her powers and turned her into Binary, that it took years to get Ms. Danvers back into mainstream Marvel Comics again.

Marvel Comics corrected those past errors in 2012 by endowing Mar Vell's true heir, Carol Danvers, with the Captain Marvel title.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I respect that purported Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel fans want some kind of movie justice for a character they grew up with, but understand that the only reason Monica Rambeau was created was so Marvel Comics could use the Captain Marvel name in print and not lose the copyright to the name. The name is very important to Marvel Comics, obviously, as it contains the company's namesake. However, Monica Rambeau has no connection to Kree culture or technology or to the original Mar Vell whatsoever. The true heir to Mar Vell should have been Ms. Marvel Carol Danvers, but Chris Claremont had altered the character so much, stripped her powers and turned her into Binary, that it took years to get Ms. Danvers back into mainstream Marvel Comics again.

Marvel Comics corrected those past errors in 2012 by endowing Mar Vell's true heir, Carol Danvers, with the Captain Marvel title.

I do not want or require 'some kind of movie justice', with respect. I am also completely aware of why Monica was created- none of that was my point. It was that specific way of removing her that I think is kind of ridiculous, complete with going out of the way to have various Avengers thinking to themselves how inept she was, for reasons that had to do with Captain America sales and nothing to do with the Kree-based logic you speak of. I'm not talking about in-story reasons, I'm talking about the politics with the editors, etc. You are completely correct that Carol was connected to the Mar-Vell mythos early on, and I don't think the movie version is a bad character whatsoever, as I clarified. 

37 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

I do not want or require 'some kind of movie justice', with respect. I am also completely aware of why Monica was created- none of that was my point. It was that specific way of removing her that I think is kind of ridiculous, complete with going out of the way to have various Avengers thinking to themselves how inept she was, for reasons that had to do with Captain America sales and nothing to do with the Kree-based logic you speak of. I'm not talking about in-story reasons, I'm talking about the politics with the editors, etc. You are completely correct that Carol was connected to the Mar-Vell mythos early on, and I don't think the movie version is a bad character whatsoever, as I clarified. 

I'll say both Monica Rambeau and Carol Danvers weren't treated very well in the comics. Ms. Rambeau was turned into a weakling, and Ms. Danvers was raped. Chris Claremont gave Carol Danvers a voice and had her call out the Avengers, but then stripped her powers away in the same issue. Not sure what the purpose of that was, maybe make her rely more on her voice and less on her powers for that iconic moment when she calls out her former teammates maybe?

12 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'll say both Monica Rambeau and Carol Danvers weren't treated very well in the comics. Ms. Rambeau was turned into a weakling, and Ms. Danvers was raped. Chris Claremont gave Carol Danvers a voice and had her call out the Avengers, but then stripped her powers away in the same issue. Not sure what the purpose of that was, maybe make her rely more on her voice and less on her powers for that iconic moment when she calls out her former teammates maybe?

I'd say you make some very good points.

15 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The Professor Hulk diner scene from Endgame, in the end, served more than just to convey information about Hulk's physical change. The setup for Endgame 5 years after the Snap is meant to show us how far our heroes have "fallen" from being Avengers. Tony Stark has a family and is retired and won't help anyone. Clint Barton is a bloodthirsty mob vigilante. Thor is a drunk overweight video game obsessed monarch of a seaside village. Steve Rogers counsels Snap survivors and tries to see the positive side, like whales in the Hudson River. And Bruce Banner, who's come to terms with Hulk, is a pacifist and enjoys selfies with fans in diners. Natasha is the only original Avenger who tries to keep it together as an Avenger with the ragtag scattered group of Rocket, Nebula, Rhodes, and mostly absent Carol Danvers.

This shows us how much our original Avengers have to climb to get back in the saddle to save the universe from Thanos again for the first time.

FTFY.

Me to the receptionist at my work: "I used the stones to destroy the stones."

Receptionist: "What are you talking about?"

Me: "You know. The Avengers. Thanos. Endgame."

Receptionist: "Yeah, I never saw it. Not really my thing."

Me: "We're no longer friends."

On 6/25/2021 at 7:01 PM, Gaard said:

Me to the receptionist at my work: "I used the stones to destroy the stones."

Receptionist: "What are you talking about?"

Me: "You know. The Avengers. Thanos. Endgame."

Receptionist: "Yeah, I never saw it. Not really my thing."

Me: "We're no longer friends."

If you’re just randomly walking up to people you work with and, without any context, saying “I used the stones to destroy the stones”… I’m guessing they probably are able to weather the loss of your friendship surprisingly well. ;) 

During a recent appearance on “Late Night With Seth Meyers,” Hollander remembered the one time his agency mixed him up with Holland via an email, sending the Marvel star’s box office bonus was mistakenly sent to the British thespian.

“People in the account’s department of my agency got confused. We were with the same agents briefly. And it was a terrible moment,” Hollander told Meyers with his trademark dry wit. “I went to see my friend who was doing theater in England. I sat smugly in the audience just having done a BBC show for $30,000 … the interval came and I checked my email and I got one from the agency saying, ‘Payment slip for first box office bonus for ‘The Avengers.'”

Hollander thought to himself, “I don’t think I’m in ‘The Avengers,'” but proceeded to open the email that was intended for Holland instead.

“It was an astonishing amount of money,” Hollander said. “It was not his salary. It was his first box-office bonus. Not the whole box-office bonus, the first one. And it was more money than I’d ever [seen]. It was a seven-figure sum.”