• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
5 5

2,252 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Related yet separate question--Thor said in Infinity War that he's over 1500 years old, or something like that.  But the events of the first Thor movie happen in modern times, right?  So in the MCU Thor doesn't become known to humanity as anything other than a mythical Norse god until whenever that movie takes place, right, which we might assume is the same year it took place for us, i.e. 2011?

I believe time is relative to their dimension. Like how we say a cat or dog ages roughly 10 years for 1 human year. I would think 1500 years for Thor is more like 15,000 - 150,000 human years on earth. The Vedas describe the Gods 1 year as 360 of our years. The God of heaven known as Indra who wields a Thunderbolt controlling thunder & lightning is likely where the stories of Thor were derived.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't think that MCU Strombreaker has the same "worthy" spell attached to it as Mjolnir had.

Odin put the spell on Mjolnir, that whoever is worthy, shall possess his power. I think that any Joe Shmoe can try to wield Strombreaker, but as Thor says in Infinity War, their "body would collapse as [their] mind descends into madness".

It's a God's weapon, and anything below a God won't really be able to use it.

I'm not sure if Mjolnir had a spell cast on it by Odin or if he was just stating the facts of the hammers power. It's been a while since I saw the 1st Thor. I still think they both have consciousness, even if nobody agrees with me.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Danggggggg!

Thank goodness none of them are wearing their masks or helmets, how would anyone know who they are otherwise? :sick:

5 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

I believe time is relative to their dimension. Like how we say a cat or dog ages roughly 10 years for 1 human year. I would think 1500 years for Thor is more like 15,000 - 150,000 human years on earth. The Vedas describe the Gods 1 year as 360 of our years. The God of heaven known as Indra who wields a Thunderbolt controlling thunder & lightning is likely where the stories of Thor were derived.

I'm not sure if Mjolnir had a spell cast on it by Odin or if he was just stating the facts of the hammers power. It's been a while since I saw the 1st Thor. I still think they both have consciousness, even if nobody agrees with me.

While Uru is durable, and has affinity for magic (the basis of which the Dwarfs of Nidavellir use it to construct God-King weapons), it is a metal that does not have consciousness.

It's not a debatable topic.

2 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

xD The one thing I actually didn't like about Captain Marvel was when her helmet was on.

I'm pretty certain I know why they do it, but I find it annoying and distracting 2c

18 minutes ago, Logan510 said:
21 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

xD The one thing I actually didn't like about Captain Marvel was when her helmet was on.

I'm pretty certain I know why they do it, but I find it annoying and distracting 2c

I'm not a fan of mohawks, but I'm impressed by the design of the helmet to force her hair up into one while still allowing her to have long hair.

MarvelSuit.png.bd759cb407e0c34f4787ce8400c95774.png

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

She doesn't know who he is, what Stormbreaker is, or that it would be flying towards his hand, so why would any of that matter to her?  It's a puzzling scene.  ???

I'm okay with it. Like she doesn't get phased by some manly man trying to stand over her. But I get your points.

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm not a fan of mohawks, but I'm impressed by the design of the helmet to force her hair up into one while still allowing her to have long hair.

MarvelSuit.png.bd759cb407e0c34f4787ce8400c95774.png

That's totally practical lol

19 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

While Uru is durable, and has affinity for magic (the basis of which the Dwarfs of Nidavellir use it to construct God-King weapons), it is a metal that does not have consciousness.

It's not a debatable topic.

One could argue that consciousness is energy based, like how energy passes through matter bringing all of our tech to life. The human body is just a more advanced machine than an animal body for example. We really only consume energy, everything else is just waste that our body secretes. Like I said, I don't care if nobody agrees with me.

13 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

385a824c_1e70_4a95_baca_eb73708f4cdf_880

It just looked weird imo. I like her look more without it.

1 minute ago, chezmtghut said:

One could argue that consciousness is energy based, like how energy passes through matter bringing all of our tech to life. The human body is just a more advanced machine than an animal body for example. We really only consume energy, everything else is just waste that our body secretes. Like I said, I don't care if nobody agrees with me.

It's not a matter of debate.

Metal is not energy.

Mjolnir was not a sentient being and neither is Strombreaker.

Don't make me bust that Billy Madison quote out on you.

8 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

It's not a matter of debate.

Metal is not energy.

Mjolnir was not a sentient being and neither is Strombreaker.

Don't make me bust that Billy Madison quote out on you.

Because they are Dwarf Star alloy, I would think they retain a massive conservation of energy, unlike earth metal. It's that energy that gives them consciousness imo.

Edited by chezmtghut

2 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Because they are Dwarf Star alloy, I would think they retain a massive conservation of energy, unlike earth metal. It's that energy that gives them consciousness imo.

Consciousness is about equal to sentience. Uru, a metal, is not sentient. The property of magic affinity is not a sentient choice. Imagine a magnet that does not attract ferrous metals, but instead attracts "magic".

Uru being conscious/sentient is not a winning argument.

Odin put a spell on Mjolnir that required its possessor to be worthy. The Russo Bros put that line in Infinity War from Thor to the Guardians because they wanted to let the audience know that his new weapon still cannot be possessed by puny mortals. I would say that my body collapsing and my mind descending into madness is a stiff punishment for trying to wield a God-King's weapon.

Thor simply lacks the training to put the same spell upon Stormbreaker. Odin likely used that spell to prevent potential "lifters" from suffering the above-mentioned fate. Odin was mostly a pretty good guy...

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Consciousness is about equal to sentience. Uru, a metal, is not sentient. The property of magic affinity is not a sentient choice. Imagine a magnet that does not attract ferrous metals, but instead attracts "magic".

Uru being conscious/sentient is not a winning argument.

Odin put a spell on Mjolnir that required its possessor to be worthy. The Russo Bros put that line in Infinity War from Thor to the Guardians because they wanted to let the audience know that his new weapon still cannot be possessed by puny mortals. I would say that my body collapsing and my mind descending into madness is a stiff punishment for trying to wield a God-King's weapon.

Thor simply lacks the training to put the same spell upon Stormbreaker. Odin likely used that spell to prevent potential "lifters" from suffering the above-mentioned fate. Odin was mostly a pretty good guy...

I think Doctor Strange's Cloak would disagree.9_9

Edited by chezmtghut

1 minute ago, chezmtghut said:

I think Doctor Strange's Cloak would disagree.9_9

The Cloak of Levitation is a relic, not made by Uru metal. You can argue that the Cloak has consciousness, but it doesn't have sentience or free will.

The fictional biography of Mjolnir, Stormbreaker, and Uru all have neither consciousness nor sentience.

One of these things is not like the others.

43 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

The Cloak of Levitation is a relic, not made by Uru metal. You can argue that the Cloak has consciousness, but it doesn't have sentience or free will.

The fictional biography of Mjolnir, Stormbreaker, and Uru all have neither consciousness nor sentience.

One of these things is not like the others.

The cloak being a relic doesn't change the fact that it is magical.

Uru:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/uru/4055-40970/

It was Tony Stark, who first discovered this metal's natural affinity for magic. It has shown to be capable of storing vast amounts of energy, particularly magical energies. While not easily enchanted, Uru metal absorbs magic like a sponge, redirecting it and enhancing the natural attributes of its wielder. The enchanting process also dramatically increases its durability. Tony Stark's "Thorbuster" Armor, is fueled by Uru. This allowed it to channel a full blast of lightning from Mjolnir and the Odinforce into a blast from its Uni-beam.

A symbiotic relationship between Uru and its wielder exists that allows for many astounding feats: a mystical user, such as Thor, can lend his own strength to the Uru in his hammer, thus making the metal stronger and more resilient.

Dictionary:

con·scious·ness
/ˈkän(t)SHəsnəs/
noun
noun: consciousness
  1. the state of being awake and aware of one's surroundings.
    "she failed to regain consciousness and died two days later"
    synonyms: awareness, wakefulness, alertness, responsiveness, sentience
    "she failed to regain consciousness"
    antonyms: unconsciousness
    • the awareness or perception of something by a person.
      plural noun: consciousnesses
      "her acute consciousness of Mike's presence"
      synonyms: awareness of, knowledge of the existence of, alertness to, sensitivity to, realization of, cognizance of, mindfulness of, perception of, apprehension of, recognition of
      "her acute consciousness of Luke's presence"
    • the fact of awareness by the mind of itself and the world.
      "consciousness emerges from the operations of the brain"
Edited by chezmtghut